View Quote

Then Hollywood has it backwards .
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 1:14:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 1:21:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Im talking about in movies.

Remember Wargames???

Anyway, They thought they were under nuclear attack, so they moved to Defcon 5.

Ive seen it in other movies too, I just cant think of them right now, but they always count up from 1-5.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 1:24:04 AM EDT
[#8]
I saw the Sum of All Fears today, and after the US got nuked, one of the president's staff asks "Should we go to DEFCON 1?"  

"DUH!"
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 1:52:24 AM EDT
[#9]
To add to the confusion:

Force Protection Conditions (FPCONs), formerly called threatcons, go from Normal to Alpha through Delta.

Then, we get these local cheese conditions using the number system, yet backwards from the DEFCON system. Here we have FLOODCON 1-5 and SNOWCON 1-5. In each, condition 1 is normal operations, as opposed to condition 5.

DEFCONS are only changed at a real high level, so most people really don't give a whoop.

As a sidenote, I used to track DEFCON long ago, and in that job we had an additional level, ADE (Air Defense Emergency) above and beyond DEFCON 1. Go figure.

Adam
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 1:55:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 2:03:32 AM EDT
[#11]
I thought DEFCON was the computer & network security hackers convention.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 2:10:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I thought DEFCON was the computer & network security hackers convention.
View Quote

In Las Vegas, right?  I'm sure the convention's name was inspired by the movie War Games. First movie with computer hackers that I know of.

DEFCON = Defense Condition
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 2:12:26 AM EDT
[#13]
SHALL WE PLAY A NICE GAME OF CHESS??

"No, I want to play Global Thermonuclear War"

HEY LUMPY223... I totally understand what you mean. I live in the ghetto in a secure building. You have to be buzzed through the front door to even get access to the upper levels of the building. When someone just outright knocks on my front door, it's battle mode around here. I have answered the door with the mossberg more than once.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 2:13:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Oh yeah, I forgot....

Lumpy223, most suburban burglars are local punk ass teenagers.  Have a lot of teenagers in your neighborhood?  Even if just a few, I would say your neighbors' kids are the prime suspects.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 2:16:10 AM EDT
[#15]
[/quote]Would you explain FLOODCON and SNOWCON?[/quote]

Easy, simply Division directed readiness postures for Floods and Snowfall, respectively.

FLOODCON:
Various control measures, from monitoring water levels, patrols of low lying areas, filling of sandbags, stockages of food and water, splitting of command and control capability, recalling of personnel, etc. kick in based on degree of anticipated rainfall, actual rainfall, or raising of water levels

SNOWCON is pretty similar, except we get to play with plows and shovels.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 2:23:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 2:34:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I live in the ghetto in a secure building. You have to be buzzed through the front door to even get access to the upper levels of the building. When someone just outright knocks on my front door, it's battle mode around here. I have answered the door with the mossberg more than once.
View Quote

Except, of course, for the times when you leave your door unlocked and wide open so that hot babes from across the hall can wander in. [:D]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 2:57:29 AM EDT
[#18]
haha... yeah that was pure dumbass on my part. Good thing that it was a hot blonde babe and good thing for everyone I waited for target identification. That could have been a bad bad bad day.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 8:12:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 8:34:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Im talking about in movies.

Remember Wargames???

Anyway, They thought they were under nuclear attack, so they moved to Defcon 5.

Ive seen it in other movies too, I just cant think of them right now, but they always count up from 1-5.
View Quote

Watch Wargames again. They got it right, you're remembering wrong.
I can still remember Matthew Broderick asking "what's Defcon 1" and Dabney Coleman replying "world war 3." I think.[>:/]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 11:23:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Lest we forget Decon, Ant and Roach Spray. Stuff works real good.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 11:52:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Heh!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top