Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2002 12:37:49 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 2:32:47 AM EDT
[#1]
We have a pretty sad situation here in Michigan...all the possible Democratic candidates are seriously anti-gun (gee, that's different) and one of them, the current AG, Granholm, is very electable.  She's smart, pretty, carismatic and on a mission.  The best the Republicans can come up with is the current Lt Gov., Posthumus.  Nice guy and all, but a face and personality like a plate of plain oatmeal.  Unless something unexpected happens we're gonna be in for a long stretch under Gov. Jenny.  Frickin' Republicans can't find a contender to save their asses.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 7:17:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 11:11:24 AM EDT
[#3]
You guys should recruit Lawrence Reed of the MacKinac Think Tank...  He is libertarian.

[url]http://www.mackinac.org/article.asp?ID=3989[/url]

Ben
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 11:20:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't know what seat he is running for yet, been too busy to look into it yet, but I had Jud Gilbert show up at my door a feww weeks ago.  He is a hell of a guy and we had a rather brief, favorable, conversation on individual gun ownership.  Actually, I was amazed that an incumabt was willing to drive all the way out in the sticks to see a 20 year old voter.  Yes, he came to see me specifically not my parents.  Oh yeah, he is running for state representative 82nd district

Keving67
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 3:18:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah election year is going to stink this year in Michigan. I have zero clue who I am going to vote for in the primary or the elction for the fact. I have never been so undecided for Governor, I will probaly vote Libertarian or write my own name on the ballot. If anybody else wants to write my name on the ballot email me and I will post it here.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 6:14:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Dick Posthumus (what a horrible name) has done well in some of the polls and has started to turn up the heat in advertising.  I agree that DP is not all that exciting, but he is more exciting than the ever-expanding John Engler.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 9:24:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 10:18:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Not as friendly as you think.  NO SBRs, in fact nothing under 18 inches.  Most states have 16 inches as the rule.  NO Class III weapons period.   CCW is shall issue but has serious restrictions on where you can carry. How long it takes is determined by which county you live in. Rifles do not require registration but you still go though the NICS when you purchase one.

Unless the Republicans have something underneath their sleeves we are going to take one up the A**.  I think we were spoiled by two terms with a Republican Governor.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 8:38:30 AM EDT
[#9]
As posted by ARDOC,
NO Class III weapons period
View Quote

[b]Not necessarily true[/b], NFA listed weapons are legal for possession in Michigan provided the weapon is listed on the ATF
curio & relic list, And you have A valid C&R ffl.

Most michigan politicans (the ones trolling the gun shows for my vote anyway). I have asked dont know what the hell a Class III/NFA weapon is.

Their aren't any M-16's on the C&R list.
But there are plenty of cold war,WWII and earlier era weapons listed. That can give you that warm fuzzy that only a FA can supply.

The largest hurdle for mg ownership in michigan is the same as in every other state. The CLEO sign off [shock]
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 8:47:28 AM EDT
[#10]
18 inch minumum is shotguns, not rifles. 16 inchers are okay for rifles, at least as of the last time i read that section of michigan law.

CCW is easy from what i understand in at least two detroit area counties, with the exception round here being the county of wayne (includes detroit itself) where the administrative crap takes forever... like anything else in wayne county.

BUT, at this point i'm not going to bother getting a CCW... granholm will be elected, and she's freakishly against the current CCW law.  
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 9:56:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes C&R weapons are legal, Luger is correct.  The CLEO signature is a bitch.  If anyone goes on a shooting spree with one, the Chief's career is kaput!  Not sure about the 18 for shotguns. I was under the impression that its all long guns.  Thats why if you try to buy an UZI barrel, they will tell you its legal in MI and a couple of other states.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 10:42:37 AM EDT
[#12]
The CCW process was/is relatively easy in the county I live in.  The restrictions are annoying, but it is way better than it used to be for the vast majority of gun owners in this state.

Regarding the political climate.  Engler has not exactly been all that pro-gun.  He signed the recent CCW legislation, but had threatened to veto it several other times in the past.  As for Granholm, I am not willing to concede the election to her yet.  Even if she does win, she can't repeal CCW without the help of the legislature (which is republican).

Link Posted: 7/7/2002 11:40:15 AM EDT
[#13]
At least you have your shall-issue CCW.  We don't have ours (yet) in WI and are faced with the very real possibility of a Democrat in our Governor's office next year.  When Tommy Thompson left for Washington, Scott McCallum was next in line and ascended to the office.  McCallum might be in big trouble next November....  [V]

The Democratic primary will likely come down to the current AG Jim Doyle (a commie gun grabber) and former Rep. Tom Barret (F- from the NRA).

Could be tough times for the midwest.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 8:45:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey tatjana
Do you have ties in Michigan? Its seems that I see you haved popped in the few of the Michigan topics.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top