Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/11/2012 3:31:44 PM EDT
Tell me about it. Thinking of making this my first bike purchase. Going to look at some this week for fitment. I am 6'0 195lbs.

Link Posted: 3/11/2012 3:33:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Sharp
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 3:33:30 PM EDT
[#2]
In for the oil leak comments.
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 3:35:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Okay. I despise HD bikes (mostly for the riders) but that is a very nice looking bike. Some dummy will be along shortly to say it needs a bunch of chrome.
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 3:38:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 3:39:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice bike, but do you want something with a little more guts (hp/torque)? You'll probably outgrow this one pretty quick.
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 3:40:27 PM EDT
[#6]
really.... an 883? The answer is no!
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 3:41:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Girl's bike.  

Link Posted: 3/11/2012 3:42:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Be prepared for Harley guys to look down on it and you because it's a "girl's bike".Sorry,it's the way they are.

I think it looks sharp but they're not my thing.Too uncomfortable and not especially,I'd suggest looking at Suzuki and Kawasaki 650 twins and get much better machine. No,I'm not a Harley hater,I ride an XB12R.
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 3:43:59 PM EDT
[#9]
You'll look fabulous on it.

Link Posted: 3/11/2012 3:46:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Go for the 1200 if you like the fit of the Sportster. You'll grow tired of the weak 883 real quick, first bike or not.

I dig the dark HD's....not a fan of the chromed out whore bikes some HD guys ride.

FYI...if you plan to do some longer rides or anything, might consider a Dyna for more comfort. I ride a Streetbob myself and I'm happy all around. I don't look down on the Sportsters and those who call them girl bikes most likely has not run against one, the 1200's are some of HD's fastest bikes (excluding the vrod).
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 3:48:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a Sportster.  Im 6'1 and 190.  I feel to big for it.....
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 3:50:26 PM EDT
[#12]
They look ok stock...  and you can make them look awesome with pretty minimal mods.

BUT.. even for a first bike, you will outgrow the 883 pretty quick, I think.  

The biggest downfall for you will be the size, I think.  They are pretty small bikes, and at 6'0" and almost 200lbs, you will likely look a little cramped on it.

Link Posted: 3/11/2012 3:51:05 PM EDT
[#13]
It is obnoxiously slow.

That said, it is your first bike, not your last.  Buy a used Japanese POS, ride it for a year, drop it three or four times (including once in your driveway and once at a stoplight), and then get what you really want.

You're going to ignore me and get a brand new HD as your first bike, so make sure you post pics of the first scratch you put on it so I can say, "I told you so."

Good luck and enjoy life on two wheels.

Link Posted: 3/11/2012 3:51:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Damn what do ya'll recommend as a first starter bike? I was really digging the sinister look of the Iron. Mainly be used for a 7 mile commute to work a few times a week and then play on the weekends.
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 3:51:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Go for the 1200 if you like the fit of the Sportster. You'll grow tired of the weak 883 real quick, first bike or not.

I dig the dark HD's....not a fan of the chromed out whore bikes some HD guys ride.

FYI...if you plan to do some longer rides or anything, might consider a Dyna for more comfort. I ride a Streetbob myself and I'm happy all around. I don't look down on the Sportsters and those who call them girl bikes most likely has not run against one, the 1200's are some of HD's fastest bikes (excluding the vrod).

This.  I went with the 1200 Custom and after riding with a buddy with an 883, trust me, get bigger than you think you'll need.
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 3:56:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Had a 1200 Custom with a few tricks. You'll need at least as much HP to have fun.
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 3:56:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Can we stop with any comparison to Harley's and Speed?  Seriously, its embarrassing.  

I get it if you dig the look, but performance?  No.  

Link Posted: 3/11/2012 3:56:34 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Damn what do ya'll recommend as a first starter bike? I was really digging the sinister look of the Iron. Mainly be used for a 7 mile commute to work a few times a week and then play on the weekends.

As far as Harley's go, I like most Dynas the best.  I think the Street Bob is probably my favorite.. especially after a few smallish mods. It's still in the 'affordable' zone, too.

I like the Crossbones, too.. but they are a little more pricey, and the name is gay. hah
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 3:57:06 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Get a bike that you like.  Look around at all the websites.  See if any local arfcommers have bikes that'll let you test em out, give opinions, or at least take you for a spin.

That iron is a sharp looking bike

Link Posted: 3/11/2012 3:58:34 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Can we stop with any comparison to Harley's and Speed?  Seriously, its embarrassing.  

I get it if you dig the look, but performance?  No.  

Relative brah.  Lighten up.

Link Posted: 3/11/2012 3:59:02 PM EDT
[#21]

I say go for it

PS - You're tall for a chick  

Link Posted: 3/11/2012 4:03:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Heh!
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 4:05:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 4:07:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
In for the oil leak comments.

It's not leaking oil... It's marking it's territory.
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 4:07:07 PM EDT
[#25]
First bike?

Buy a used suzuki sv650 (2003 and newer). It has a modern v-twin

Link Posted: 3/11/2012 4:10:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Here's my Sporty...

Link Posted: 3/11/2012 4:10:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Chick bike...put a p-pad on the fender so your mom can drive you around.....
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 4:11:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Haven't had one out for a test ride but I've ridden enough HD Sportster products to say... it will have a poor suspension and need to be 'tuned' to achieve any sort of 'performance'. But, if you like it, buy a used one witih low miles from a private party and save yourself a few dollars. The warranty may be of some use and the dealer support may be necessary if you're a first time MC rider.

You'll want to install stiffer springs up front and maybe add longer tubes to increase suspension travel. You'll want longer shocks on the back for sure with a heavier spring rate to compliment any modifications up front. A Nallin Hurrican air intake and SE filter kit will increase airflow into the heads.

I gotta' admit, I'm not a big fan of LOUD PIPES... there are a few after market pipes that will actually improve performance and deliver a robust exhaust note without infuriating everyone within ear shot. Pay once, cry once for performance.

The 883 is a venerable motor and easily upgraded for a small fee...

I would highly recommend ebay for a Brembo brake caliper.

Get a GREAT helmet and some stout apparel and you'll be GTG.

Did I mention taking a Rider Safety Course? That alone will save you some insurance money!

Link Posted: 3/11/2012 4:12:57 PM EDT
[#29]
My first bike was an '07 Dyna Streetbob that I sold a few years ago.  I had a friend with a Sportster, and the Dyna seemed to have all the positives from the Sporty and none of the negatives.  It was still nimble (for a big cruiser), and it had the 96ci motor.  

I now ride a 2000 Night Train and still miss my Dyna.
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 4:13:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

this
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 4:15:43 PM EDT
[#31]
If you are looking at the 883 iron I would consider finding a used 1200 Nightster
ETA: Pic

.........the power band of the 883 is very narrow and  even though you can put a 1200  kit on it you will quickly and I will say again quickly wish you had went with a 1200....the 1200 in a Sportser tuned properly is a nice bike perfect for what you want it for.....

Here is my 1200 Custom......

Link Posted: 3/11/2012 4:17:03 PM EDT
[#32]
nice bike. My first ever bike was a Roadking, there is no way in hell I would buy a japanese bike....period.

and be aware that if your jap bike is FASTER, I dont care
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 4:18:55 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

First bike?

Buy a used suzuki sv650 (2003 and newer). It has a modern v-twin

I have a 2001 SVS.  My longest day was 1250mi a couple years ago on a trip out to Seattle.  That was a fun trip.  

Link Posted: 3/11/2012 4:20:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Girl's bike.  

Link Posted: 3/11/2012 4:21:12 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

nice bike. My first ever bike was a Roadking, there is no way in hell I would buy a japanese bike....period.

How about Japanese parts?  You know, like Showa forks?

Link Posted: 3/11/2012 4:27:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The Iron is a nice looking bike, but the Sportsters make a lot of guys look like they are too big for their bikes.

The "hardcore" HD guys refer to any Sportster as a girl's bike.

Not true.....Actually the hardcore HD guys appreciate that a 1200 Sportster will wax their ass.......Its the target Harley Demographic dressed like a Pirate that calls them girls bikes... when I get too old and mine starts to scare me I will sell it and get a bigger/heavier bike.......
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 4:27:15 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How about Japanese parts?  You know, like Showa forks?

buuuuuuuuuuuurn
I don't get the "Jap Crap!" hate and all.  A good looking bike is a good looking bike to me.  Maybe I'm not hardcore 'murican enough or some shit.

Link Posted: 3/11/2012 4:28:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

That said, it is your first bike, not your last.  Buy a used Japanese POS, ride it for a year, drop it three or four times (including once in your driveway and once at a stoplight), and then get what you really want.

You're going to ignore me and get a brand new HD as your first bike, so make sure you post pics of the first scratch you put on it so I can say, "I told you so."

He told you so.

I grew up riding dirt bikes, when I got my first big street bike I dropped it a few times. There is no way I would start out with a brand new bike.
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 4:30:29 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He told you so.

I grew up riding dirt bikes, when I got my first big street bike I dropped it a few times. There is no way I would start out with a brand new bike.

I started out with a brand new bike
and have dropped it twice

No problemo though, adds character

Link Posted: 3/11/2012 4:35:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:

As far as Harley's go, I like most Dynas the best.  I think the Street Bob is probably my favorite.. especially after a few smallish mods. It's still in the 'affordable' zone, too.

I like the Crossbones, too.. but they are a little more pricey, and the name is gay. hah

That's a nice bike.
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 4:50:22 PM EDT
[#41]
NightRod Special..

ETA: Might not be the best "beginner" bike though..
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 10:26:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Just cause I know a few guys that have picked up Streetbob's (and other dyna's of the same years) or the last few months for 7-9k with low miles and mods.....here is mine.

I'd look used and you'll find the market flooded and full of great deals.
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 10:27:58 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

NightRod Special..

ETA: Might not be the best "beginner" bike though..

Definitely not. It has the only modern engine harley makes, and it has the performance to show for it.

Link Posted: 3/11/2012 10:33:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You will probably outgrow the 883 real quick
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 10:41:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The Iron is a nice looking bike, but the Sportsters make a lot of guys look like they are too big for their bikes.

The "hardcore" HD guys refer to any Sportster as a girl's bike.

I just don't get that mentality. I've been riding 25 years and just picked up a 2012 Road King but my main ride for the last 20 years has been a 1973 Triumph Bonneville 750.   Call me old fashioned but 1200 is a tad big for a first time rider/bike purchase unless the OP has prior riding experience that he hasn't mentioned.  The alleged "hardcore" Harley riders you speak of probably has never kickstarted a bike and doesn't realize that the Panhead was 1200cc's.
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 4:19:43 AM EDT
[#46]
i would say 1200 is easier to learn on then 883

same weight

1200 makes much more torque

it is not so important to be in the right gear in traffic

it tolerates being lugged around much more

makes it easier for person to learn how to shift and get used to riding
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 4:20:56 AM EDT
[#47]
beautiful, but you can get a cheaper shittier one and bobb it out yourself
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 4:24:50 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I have a Sportster.  Im 6'1 and 190.  I feel to big for it.....

I had a Sportster. I'm 6'3" 230.

It was fun, easily maneuverable, but people told me I needed a bigger bike, so I got a fatboy.

The main drawbacks of the Sportster were getting up to highway speeds, and the saddle wasn't as comfy for longer rides.

It was my starter bike, and the year I did it HD had a deal where you could upgrade after 1 year and get full value in trade-in, so that was nice.

Link Posted: 3/12/2012 4:27:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I love Sportsters, but I look like a clown on one.

The Sportster is actually a pretty good bike to start out on.  883 can become a 1200 relatively cheaply later on when you want a little more ooomph, and parts that are commonly damaged during "The Learning To Ride Saga" are plentiful and inexpensive.
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 4:28:38 AM EDT
[#50]

Now thats a nice looking rig you got there.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top