Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2002 3:15:53 PM EDT
ok, for those of you who have a SHTF belt ready to go with some mag pouches and perhaps your favorite side-arm...

what do you plan on doing with your empty mags when you drop them out and pop in a fresh one???

it would be hard as hell to try and get it back in a double or triple mag pouch while giving/taking fire.  especially if it's the kind with the internal elastic dividers.  i'd also hate to just leave them behind.

i was thinking of a small shooting bag on a shoulder strap and chuck the empties in there until you can re-load them later.  of course that means more stuff to carry but i'd like to hear other ideas.

Link Posted: 7/5/2002 3:22:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Change mags from good cover.

load them in the mag pouched with the "brass to the grass"

replace them in your mag pouches with the feed lips up.  this way you can feel without looking and know if you are getting a full or empty mag.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 3:24:15 PM EDT
[#2]
OK... I have been wondering just what does SHTF mean ? Does it have something to do with shooting at something?
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 3:27:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Sheit hits the Fan.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 3:39:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok. Now explain this to me, WTF is Sheit ? You know, so I know what to look for. What does it look like, where does this sheit come from? Is it really that dangerous that I would need some kind of protective belt to thwart it. I gotta know so I can protect myself from this. HELP.....[:E]
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 3:40:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Ok. Now explain this to me, WTF is Sheit ? You know, so I know what to look for. What does it look like, where does this sheit come from? Is it really that dangerous that I would need some kind of protective belt to thwart it. I gotta know so I can protect myself from this. HELP.....[:E]
View Quote

Simple spelling error. He meant "Sheik."
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 3:41:12 PM EDT
[#6]
hit it with a little lysol spray!
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 3:43:31 PM EDT
[#7]
If the sh!t is really hitting, don't worry. Pick new mags up off the dead,
along with that nice 3 round burst M-16.
[:D]
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 3:58:45 PM EDT
[#8]
If you don't have time to put the empty mag back in the pouch, throw 'em down the front of your shirt and worry about them later. If you use Magpulls or para-cord loops (I don't), you can also clip them on a carabiner.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 8:08:03 PM EDT
[#9]
What 700PSS said. Also, BDU cargo pockets, a sandbag tied on your belt, etc, will work justfine. Remember your rifle is no good without mags, and you can't count on "resupply" as mentioned above, so it's worth taking as much time as you can to ensure your mags don't get lost.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 8:47:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Many paintball tournaments taught me that there is only two chooses in reloading;
1 - no time, just drop’em,
2 – some time, shove’em in jacket or shirt held closed with a belt or drawstring.

SSD

(Paintball may be my undoing, I learned to use 1500 rds in a 30-minute tournament game.)
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 8:54:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice Idea but what you will be picking off the dead will be 7.62x39 and 9x19, hope you have an Ak or a nine mil.  But if you are indeed talking about recycling rounds off your own dead fallen yes anything could happen there!

Bob  would nice to have both Huh?    
 bob [8D]
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 8:58:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Drop them on the ground. If you win the fight you can always go back and pick them up. If you lose it didn't matter what you did with them.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 8:59:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 9:06:44 PM EDT
[#14]
That's why BDU's have extra large pockets[:D]...I would just slip them in there.  It would be fast and easy.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 9:07:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm a lot more worried about what to do for toilet paper.  Now [b]there's[/b] a necessity.
View Quote
Especially if people are shooting at you.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 9:22:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Ever hear of a Dump pouch?
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 9:31:17 PM EDT
[#17]

I would stick'em behind my ears...like smokes!
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 9:36:20 PM EDT
[#18]
I would recommend adding a "dump bag" to your load bearing equipment.  Various examples can be seen and purchased at [url]www.lightfighter.com/generic.html?pid=174[/url]

They are very fast to use (with practice, of course), secure, and infinitely better than the stuffed shirt / drop them on the ground ideas that have been floated.

My personal preference is the SOE Spent Magazine Pouch. It is the most expensive of the lot, but SOE equipment is top-notch stuff, and this is a one-time purchase.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 10:39:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Throm em' at the baddies.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 11:33:19 PM EDT
[#20]
You know, out here in the Kaliban, we won't have this problem.

:)
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 4:09:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Drop them on the ground. If you win the fight you can always go back and pick them up. If you lose it didn't matter what you did with them.
View Quote
Very good advice/so obvious, makes a person wonder why they weren't thinking.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 6:52:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
View Quote

Not really, bcause it assumes that you're either going to kill all the enemy, or they're going to kill you. If your mission is to delay, you'll want them with you when you leave. If you withdraw before the enemy can call in reinforcements, you'll want your mags. I look at it this way - if you live, keeping your empties can only help you, and if you end up getting killed it won't have hurt you.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 8:27:11 AM EDT
[#23]
easy...
wear a bird-hunting vest....you know, with the pouch openings on each side behind your back...
also - be sure once you are done with the firefight, that you secure them in their pouches because otherwise they will make clunking sounds
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 11:43:00 AM EDT
[#24]
call mark buchanan of [url]http://www.3gungear.com/[/url]

He makes some trick shit including an expended magazine bag.  It has an elastic cord closure on it keep mags from falling out.  Really sweet setup.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 11:45:23 AM EDT
[#25]
A GI who wants to save them puts them in their bdu top. Just open the collar and drop em in.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 1:37:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Nice Idea but what you will be picking off the dead will be 7.62x39 and 9x19, hope you have an Ak or a nine mil.  But if you are indeed talking about recycling rounds off your own dead fallen yes anything could happen there!

Bob  would nice to have both Huh?    
 bob [8D]
View Quote

True, but I'm talking about the SHTF that may be "from our own" as well.
Plus, one weapon I'll be armed with will be an AK, so 7.62x39 is fine.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 1:42:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
View Quote

You just may not be able to return, or remember where, or return there and see that someone else picked them up.....

I'm not sure I would want them in my shirt - kinda noisy, eh?  Hopefully these bags would be less so, or ideally silence them.  How about beat feet, then when you have time put them in something that will quiet them (dirty socks?)

No, wait, that's stupid, you'd need hella socks.

Maybe sammich bags.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 5:10:43 PM EDT
[#28]
ya know i had an image of what i wanted in my head, but never really heard of a 'drop-bag'.  that's exactly what i'm looking for.  thanks for the link NYPatriot.

oh and PRK, i believe the correct spelling is 'sammidge bags'  it's only 'sammich' when singular.  the -idge denotes plural.  common mistake.

Link Posted: 7/6/2002 5:50:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Man, that SOE gear drop pouch is cool. I need one of those. Maybe I can get the wife to make me one![:)]

I throw the empties in my BDU pocket when I'm reloading quick. That works for me but the drop bag approach would be good, as well to carry other stuff too. I like that feature. The snap ring setup sounds like it would work good as well.Some good ideas here, I will check em out!

I dont like noisy mags on my gear either. I put a slice of bicycle tire tube on my mags and they're nice and quiet in my mag pouches. Plus a benefit is they have a better grip surface. If you can do it, with some work they can be slid under the floorplate of the mag as well and use like para-cord pulls on the mag bottom(Its more like the other popular M**pulls, just not as heavy duty.) Try it, you might like it. And if you have kids you probably have a bike tire tube laying around already. Thats good enough to make about 30 or 40 of em!
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 10:33:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
oh and PRK, i believe the correct spelling is 'sammidge bags'  it's only 'sammich' when singular.  the -idge denotes plural.  common mistake.

View Quote

Duly noted.   And thank you,sir.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 6:13:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If you don't have time to put the empty mag back in the pouch, throw 'em down the front of your shirt and worry about them later.
View Quote

This is exactly what the SAS seem to do as described in the book "Bravo Two Zero".

Quoted:
Also, BDU cargo pockets...
View Quote

As demonstrated by the SEAL trainees of BUDS Class 234 in the now-airing special on The Discover Channel. I found it interesting.

Both these groups are probably more concerned with operational security than with SHTF scenarios, but it still seems like a resourceful approach to me.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 6:18:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I would recommend adding a "dump bag" to your load bearing equipment.  Various examples can be seen and purchased at [url]www.lightfighter.com/generic.html?pid=174[/url]

They are very fast to use (with practice, of course), secure, and infinitely better than the stuffed shirt / drop them on the ground ideas that have been floated.

My personal preference is the SOE Spent Magazine Pouch. It is the most expensive of the lot, but SOE equipment is top-notch stuff, and this is a one-time purchase.

Good luck.
View Quote

I'll be God-damned.

I've done (wasted, really, since I don't have the $$$ to buy anything!) HOURS of research into SHTF equipment loadouts, and never [b]once[/b] came across these. Pretty cool! Another example of my signature line in action!

Of course, one has to wonder how far anyone would be able to walk if the were fully loaded down with every SHTF item they thought they needed, especially if a firefight ensued. My list has been pared down to the near-essentials, and it STILL seems too much for me!
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 6:18:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
ok, for those of you who have a SHTF belt ready to go with some mag pouches and perhaps your favorite side-arm...

what do you plan on doing with your empty mags when you drop them out and pop in a fresh one???

it would be hard as hell to try and get it back in a double or triple mag pouch while giving/taking fire.  especially if it's the kind with the internal elastic dividers.  i'd also hate to just leave them behind.

i was thinking of a small shooting bag on a shoulder strap and chuck the empties in there until you can re-load them later.  of course that means more stuff to carry but i'd like to hear other ideas.

View Quote

Down the shirt front.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 6:20:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
View Quote

Agreed. I find the logic pretty convincing, actually.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 6:22:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Good luck.
View Quote

Sonofabitch.  I had this very idea about 6 years ago and did nothing with it.  Lightfighter, order incoming.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 6:54:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
View Quote

View Quote

Nothing like leaving a calling card.  Make sure & engrave your name.

OTOH, if you had to use a mag on an unsuppressed weapon, it's no secret SOMEBODY was there, and finding all your brass and the time to pick it up may be a problem, too.

Link Posted: 7/8/2002 6:54:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Never thought of SHTF, but will probably do as thaught: down the shirt front and put in the pouches during some break in the fighting.
But I must admit, those "dumb-bags" sure do look nice & usefull. Especially when you have to hit the deck with X or so mags behind your shirt.

C-2-6
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 7:09:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
OK... I have been wondering just what does SHTF mean ? Does it have something to do with shooting at something?
View Quote

To put it simply, SHTF is when the fecal matter impacts the rotating blade cooling device.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 7:21:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

bob [8D]
View Quote

This is interesting. I would imagine that Farrakhans' slaves and most "gangs" have an affection for the AK, being a low-price alternative to an AR15 or M16...I noiced that  most of the cRAP music mentions an AK or a 9MM.

I hope that is what you're talking about.

If you rebel against Martial Law, you would be looking at standard NATO cartridges. Do you think that U.S. soldiers would fight against their homeland?

I think (hope) the threat is from an American Islamic or gang-related uprising.

Link Posted: 7/8/2002 7:24:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

I always thought it was 'sammiches' for plural.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 7:40:29 AM EDT
[#41]
I have to say that seeing this post

Quoted:
Ever hear of a Dump pouch?
View Quote

right after this one

Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm a lot more worried about what to do for toilet paper.  Now [b]there's[/b] a necessity.
View Quote
Especially if people are shooting at you.
View Quote

had me in hysterics.

That SOE dump bag is pretty cool.  I too cannot believe I have never seen it before.  May have to pick one up...
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 7:59:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Most modern gunfights are dynamic affairs.  Lots of rushing, dropping to cover, maneuvering on the opponent to get a good shooting position, etc.  And afterwards, you don't waste too much time doing a thorough recon over the whole combat site other than to police up your dead and wounded.  It's best to secure your mags immediately against later use.  

Furthermore, if the fight starts going against you, the last thing you want to do is fight it out to the death.  Instead, you start to withdraw and E&E to safety.  If you dumped your mags in an all or nothing attitude such as described above, you now have fewer resources with which to fight, having dumped a pile of mags behind you in the weeds.  

At the least, dump your mags down your shirt (trapped by LBE belt) or dump them in a dump bag.

Chuck Taylor developed some combat reloading techniques that make a ton of sense and adapted them to both handgun and rifle use.

Never discard a mag unless you have NO other choice.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 8:25:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
View Quote

View Quote

Nothing like leaving a calling card.  Make sure & engrave your name.

OTOH, if you had to use a mag on an unsuppressed weapon, it's no secret SOMEBODY was there, and finding all your brass and the time to pick it up may be a problem, too.

View Quote

Okay. I'll concede on this one. Gracefully.

After hearing the counter-arguements to leaving the mags behind, I acknowledge that my endorsement of the aforementioned logic was, in a word, flawed.

Thanks to all for the recalibration...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top