Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/5/2002 1:05:11 PM EDT
[url]http://www.vvdailypress.com/cgi-bin/newspro/viewnews.cgi?newsid1025798481,55295,[/url]

“Even the act of covering a body could potentially destroy important evidence such as gunpowder residue, fibers or hair,” he said.

The man’s family and a neighbor also said deputies were laughing and joking around after the shooting.

“They were out their laughing and antagonizing them,” neighbor Laura Gleason said.

Lt. Greg Foster said he was confident that if deputies were laughing, it was not about the man’s death.

View Quote
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 2:19:50 PM EDT
[#1]
"The man’s family and a neighbor also said deputies were laughing and joking around after the shooting."

Laughter and jokes are a common stress response. Anyone here ever been in a car crash, fight, or shooting and not "laughed" or "joked" about it later? It one of your bodies ways of dealing with the stress, it's normal.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 2:46:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Good!  They did him a favor.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 3:00:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Most suicidal people don't value the life of a responder either. At least he didn't wack anyone else before he died. I feel for his family. I hate it that he committed a "blue suicide" instead of doing the job himself. Who wants to have to live with that.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 3:00:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Laughter and jokes are a common stress response. Anyone here ever been in a car crash, fight, or shooting and not "laughed" or "joked" about it later? It one of your bodies ways of dealing with the stress, it's normal.
View Quote

Cool! Next time somebody dies here in the ED I can just make as many jokes about it as I want eh? Right in front of the family, too! Fuck 'em, right? I mean it is very stressful when I have a patient die, especially when they look like my grandmother or my mom, so what the fuck? Why not mock their sorrow and behave in a bizarre, insensitive, and totally unprofessional manner?

Those cops have nothing to fear. We live in a country where the police can perform summary executions and get away with it. Why didn't they just tell the truth? If they were honest they would simply say, "Sure we were laughing about it. Then we tried to instigate more violence by openly mocking and harrassing the surviving family."
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 3:11:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Cool! Next time somebody dies here in the ED I can just make as many jokes about it as I want eh? Right in front of the family, too!
View Quote

I'm assuming you mean ER and just butterfingered it.  First, I'm not a doctor, nor do I think I could complete the training necessary to become one.  But we know a few who are friend of the family and I have friends that I went to high school with that are just now doing their residency.  They all tend to have dark senses of humor, just like cops.  EMS workers are the same, as my father-in-law was an EMS worker for a good part of the 80's and still has friends who ride the ambulances or work in the petrochemical industry on the emergency response teams.  Sure, it's not pretty but it's how they cope.  

I'm sure being in an ER you see the kind of sick, twisted and just plain sad things that cops and EMS people also deal with on a daily basis.  It's why they become so cynical and untrusting to us normal folks.  You see the evil crap people do daily and it destroys your trust in people and your "shiny happy" exterior.

It doesn't make it right, but it does make it understandable.  Given that the vast majority of cops who take a life in the line of duty tend to no longer be able to function as police officers, I'd say you're barking up the wrong tree.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 3:25:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a family member commit suicide.  I called the police when they arrived they were very professional. One of them even sat with me at a neighbors while they examined the scene.    Generally, I support the police but if I had heard one cracking jokes or laughing I would have made a sincere attempt to kick his ass.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 3:58:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Why didn't they just tell the truth? If they were honest they would simply say, "Sure we were laughing about it. Then we tried to instigate more violence by openly mocking and harrassing the surviving family."
View Quote

That must be the only possible explanation.

Link Posted: 7/5/2002 4:08:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'm assuming you mean ER and just butterfingered it.
View Quote

Nope. Nobody calls it the ER anymore except Hollywood and people outside the profession. It is Emergency Department now.

First, I'm not a doctor, nor do I think I could complete the training necessary to become one.
View Quote

Sometimes I think I work with badly trained circus monkeys, so don't sell yourself short.

But we know a few who are friend of the family and I have friends that I went to high school with that are just now doing their residency.  They all tend to have dark senses of humor, just like cops.  EMS workers are the same, as my father-in-law was an EMS worker for a good part of the 80's and still has friends who ride the ambulances or work in the petrochemical industry on the emergency response teams.  Sure, it's not pretty but it's how they cope.
View Quote

I agree completely, but doing it in front of the "little people" is not professional at all and unforgivable.  

I'm sure being in an ER you see the kind of sick, twisted and just plain sad things that cops and EMS people also deal with on a daily basis.  It's why they become so cynical and untrusting to us normal folks.  You see the evil crap people do daily and it destroys your trust in people and your "shiny happy" exterior.
View Quote

Yup. But still we have a code of behavior we adhere to.

It doesn't make it right, but it does make it understandable.  Given that the vast majority of cops who take a life in the line of duty tend to no longer be able to function as police officers, I'd say you're barking up the wrong tree.
View Quote

I have yet to have met or even have heard of a cop who quit because he shot someone. This sort of behavior is lionized among the policemen I have known. I have seen fellow officers when I served as a police officer deliberately pick fights. I hate a bully, and I met lots with a badge. I wasn't there, and the news is completely buggered and I jnow it, but I am more than willing to believe those cops were doing just what was described and maybe more.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top