Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/4/2002 8:57:38 PM EDT
when they are in the helios and stuff, it shows military personel setting their guns in the bore and not the tock.  this cant be good for the barrel.  right?
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 9:02:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Keeps any accidental stray rounds out of the really important twirly parts over your head in the helo.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 9:05:09 PM EDT
[#2]
This is for the reason if the weapon accidentally discharged the round would exit the belly of the aircraft, pointed up the round would hit hydraulic lines, rotor, etc, causing the aircraft to rapidly descend and make a crator in mother earth.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 9:05:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 9:06:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 9:10:07 PM EDT
[#5]
ok, but its not recomended with out a flash hider correct?
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 9:27:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Not only in the movies,

we do it in for real on the helos!

Sherm
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 9:28:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Standard practice when I was in.  Had to be sure your muzzle was always pointed down, 16s, 60s, SAWs, whatever you had.

No NDs into the transmission that way.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 9:36:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Keeps any accidental stray rounds out of the really important twirly parts over your head in the helo.
View Quote

heheheh, twirly parts cracked me up.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 9:39:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes we are BeeKeeper, I once heard a story we were even planting Daiseys in Afghanistan.
[:)]
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 9:50:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yes we are BeeKeeper, I once heard a story we were even planting Daiseys in Afghanistan.
[:)]
View Quote

No man those are poppies.  POPPIES.  Big difference.  :)
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 10:00:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not reccomened to put the muzzle against dirt, against the metal floor of a vheicle should be ok even with a crowned muzzle, unless you are in a exceptionally dirty vheicle.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 10:07:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Not reccomened to put the muzzle against dirt, against the metal floor of a vheicle should be ok even with a crowned muzzle, unless you are in a exceptionally dirty vheicle.
View Quote

basiclly, is it gonna hurt my post ban no comp, no hider bore?  if i do this (not that i am planning to.)
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 11:18:29 PM EDT
[#13]
This is part of why there are flashhiders on military weapons - to protect the crown.

A helo is also the ONLY place where it is really acceptable to lay a weapon on its side - its RIGHT side.  This causes the brass to eject straight downwards and stay WELL AWAY from the rotor.

I like to put a slight recess crown on my barrels in the event the flashhider is removed - it helps protect the muzzle anyhow, and doesn't hurt when the flashhider is in place.  

FFZ
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 11:25:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This is part of why there are flashhiders on military weapons - to protect the crown.

A helo is also the ONLY place where it is really acceptable to lay a weapon on its side - its RIGHT side.  This causes the brass to eject straight downwards and stay WELL AWAY from the rotor.

I like to put a slight recess crown on my barrels in the event the flashhider is removed - it helps protect the muzzle anyhow, and doesn't hurt when the flashhider is in place.  

FFZ
View Quote

I would think the danger would come more from getting foreign objects stuffed up the bore.

Ordinance steel is a good bit harder than any rock your likely to bang against.

In any case just placing on its muzzle on the floor is a totally different matter than ramming it down with some force...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top