Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/4/2002 7:34:42 PM EDT
I just opened a "new" 4 oz. bottle of BF and the nozzle was clogged.  Opened the bottle up and it was full of chunks of teflon, I'm guessing - looked like cottage cheese floating in beer.  Yes, I had shaken the bottle as I  always do with any CLP.  Poured some of it into my empty container to give me more space in the bottle and really shook the heck out of it - still chunks in it.  I'm not a BF or CLP newbie - I've used over a quart of the stuff, both BF and the milsurp from Wu's.  I'm used to the teflon "sediment" at the bottom, but not these undisolvable chunks.  Bought about six of these bottle from Academy Sports about a year ago and they've been stored in my garage.

Any thoughts?

TIA
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 7:41:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Never had that problem.  I'm used to the normal teflon settling out to the bottom of the bottle.  I usually put a couple of .177 pellets in the bottle to help mix it up (like a spray paint can ball), maybe this would break up the cottage cheese chunks in yours.

Link Posted: 7/4/2002 8:03:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Excellent idea - I'll give it a try.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 10:18:45 AM EDT
[#3]
No go.  I put some steel shot in a bottle - no good - tried putting it in a glass bottle - no good - still have the "chunks" in it.

I cannot find contact info for BF on the Internet - anybody out there know how I can call them?

TIA
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 10:46:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 10:55:42 AM EDT
[#5]
might try a blender - wouldn't use it for food after though
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 12:20:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, the heat did it.  Break-Free CLP is intended to be kept and used between 71.2 and 79.5 degrees Farenheit.
All right, I was just being an asshole.  Theres something definitely defective with it. I imagine they will replace it for free if you offer to send them some or all of it.  Who wants to put a product in their rifle that's going to do this?

Here's a thought - could it have been the winter?  How low did it get this year?

Even if that was what caused it, this is disturbing.

This stuff should be formulated to behave normally in all human temperature ranges.

[Edited to say, "in Texas?" probably the winter didn't do it]

[Edited to also say, "it doesn't get that hot in Texas, either"   [flame]  ]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 12:24:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 12:35:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Send your e-mail to:

[email protected]

Mention that there's a thread going on ar15.com about their product, and I'll bet they get back to you pretty soon.   Maybe they should join, and post their explanation.

I believe I did hear some guys (here somewhere?)swear they won't let a drop of CLP touch their firearm.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 2:59:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks to all - mail sent.

btw - the other three bottles are the same.  Light "beer" look (much lighter than old formula) with BIG chunks of "cottage cheese".

It gets hot here,but not too hot, maybe 115 - 120 F in the garage.  As far as cold, I've got the garage door insulated, plus the surrounding warmth othe house and attic - I'm comfortable in the garage with just a shirt even on the coldest days.

Edited to add that I wasn't being lazy with my Internet search - I just couldn't get my mail client to work at home and the BF site provides only a link that starts up your mail - no other contact info given.  I sent them mail from work.  Thanks again for the replies, fellas.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 3:35:47 AM EDT
[#10]
I've bought exactly three bottles of Break Free.  All three did the same thing.  I even put little hex nuts in the bottles when new.  Didn't help.  Threw the stuff out.  There are bettr lubes, cleaners and protectants available.

Eddie
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 5:43:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Here are the two replies I got.  Personally, I'm satisfied so far.

I'll forward your message to our manufacturing group in Florida. Processed
correctly the PTFE powder disperses very well. Customer service will also be
copied to see what can be done to resolve your problem with the containers.

Don Yoder, Technical Support

Mr. Strickland,

If you would send us your address I would like to replace your bottle of
CLP.  I would also like to get the bottle you have the complaint with to
review it more carefully.  I am sorry for any inconvenience and please
accept my apologies.

You can contact our customer at [email protected]
 ( Melissa Hill ) or call us at
800-428-0588 x 1815

Bruce W. Martz
Production Manager
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 11:28:31 AM EDT
[#12]
update....

Break Free is replacing my CLP at no charge.

I was [b]very[/b] satisfied with their customer service and will continue to purchase their products.

If there's a problem with the replacement CLP, y'all will be the first to know.  [:D]

Edited to add - when I referred to "btw - the other three bottles are the same", I was speaking of the four bottles that I had in my garage.  I had two more bottles in a SHTF bag in my house - six bottles total.  I didn't want somebody from BF looking at this thread and thinking "the little scumbag ripped us off - he bought four, but we're sending him six bottles". [:D]
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 12:07:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 1:02:15 PM EDT
[#14]
QUOTE: "I didn't want somebody from BF looking at this thread and thinking "the little scumbag ripped us off - he bought four, but we're sending him six bottles".  

Tate:  Yep, you might be a little scumbag, but at least you're not a thieving little scumbag.  (LOL) :D

Seriously, BF did you a nice one with the great customer cervix of theirs in making it right.  I appreciate your sharing it with us.

Noah
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 9:40:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Got my bottles delivered today.  Stuff mixes great.  This new stuff looks very different than older BF.  It isn't milky light amber, it's milky light olive drab in color - yes, I said green.  I haven't let it sit in a glass bottle yet to see if it still has a teflon sediment.  Very satisfied with BF customer service.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 8:09:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Update - let this green stuff set in a glass container for a few hours today.

Very, very little white sediment collected at the  bottom.  Almost none.

Don't know if the new formula keeps teflon suspended, or if the teflon has been severely reduced/eliminated.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 8:41:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Don't know if the new formula keeps teflon suspended, or if the teflon has been severely reduced/eliminated.
View Quote

Current as well as previous formula of breakfree both contain 1% Teflon/PTFE in weight.
I, too, have experienced chunks of telfon floating in the bottle even though it was well mixed. Not sure what happened but kept on using it anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top