Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 8:41:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm still waiting to see someone link two ARs together via the rail system.
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 8:42:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

A quad coupler? Hmmm
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 8:43:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I think that set-up is awesome. I'm not going to build one like it, but its still cool.

Fuck yeah its cool...  Mount a surefire X300 on the end and its my ideal setup.

Link Posted: 3/5/2012 8:43:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 8:45:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I like full length quad rails in alot of applications. Not all, but quite a few. I havea 12" Omega on a 14.5" midlength and it lets me put my hand where I want it along with my other gear. Inidently I'm not using most of the rail right now because I moved my M951 to my SBR. Its nice being able to adjust your gear without having to move your rails somewhere else on your tube. The Omega is also very skinny, once you start putting the rail sections on your TRX extreme or SS rails it starts getting kinda fat.

I don't like the big YHM rails, they're too big around. For my 6.8 I put an 11" TRX extreme rail on it without any additional panels. Its more of a hunting rig, and I don't see a need for a VFG on it.

I'm used to the big chease graters though. I never bothered putting panels on my issue M16A4. I'm normally wearing gloves when I'm shooting anyways.

To each his own I guess.
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 8:45:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryjones/3409852929/" target="_blank">http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3300/3409852929_2679c73c19.jpg</a>
Rolling stock leaving Leupold tunnel by Ry Jones, on Flickr

haters gonna hate

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryjones/3409853035/" target="_blank">http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3630/3409853035_dec80ab07d.jpg</a>
Rolling stock on Bushmaster siding by Ry Jones, on Flickr

WIN!
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 8:46:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Damn my rifles are all confused...I'm surprised they get along in the safe so well...

Link Posted: 3/5/2012 8:49:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I agree and run an MFR.

Link Posted: 3/5/2012 8:49:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I did mine as mid and carbine length look goofy with a suppressor attached IMO

Link Posted: 3/5/2012 8:52:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like them.

Try mounting a pvs22 or pvs-27 on a short rail in front of a 5-25x day optic.

Why would one need quad rails to do that?   Why wouldn't something with a full length top rail suffice?    

BTW:  The AK guy I mention above was a walking joke.   In addition to his vertical foregrip, his bipod, and his hand stop, he had a laser on one side, a light on the other side, and a red dot mounted on the top.  

PEQ laser illumination on side.  

Ir led illumination on other side.

Bipod on bottom with vfg and pressure switches.

Tacticool midget to carry from truck to blind.

Link Posted: 3/5/2012 8:53:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Hi, I'm the OP.  Because I don't understand the purpose of a full length quad rail, I have a seething dislike for them.  Based upon my limited observation of jokers at the range, I can only assume there is no point to them.  I've never heard of SOPMOD Block II.  There is no way that most of these parts are designed for something more than shooting off a bench.  I can't undersatnd why one may need real estate for different light setups, both white and IR, VFGs, lasers and switches.
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 8:56:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Okay, why is there rail in front of the front sight?
To mount a light at 12 out front of the FSB where it won't give you shadow and it works well going around corners either way....  Also allows for the extended arm grip with a carbine gas system and standard FSB.

And no effin' way.  Next rail I get it one of those.  I like standard FSBs, I think they are more robust and I like having my 1/3 cowitness always in field of view.  Thats an awesome rail.  Probably the best thought out rail currently out there IMO.

Can someone post me a picture of what someone using this "extended arm grip" looks like?
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 8:58:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hi, I'm the OP.  Because I don't understand the purpose of a full length quad rail, I have a seething dislike for them.  Based upon my limited observation of jokers at the range, I can only assume there is no point to them.  I've never heard of SOPMOD Block II.  There is no way that most of these parts are designed for something more than shooting off a bench.  I can't undersatnd why one may need real estate for different light setups, both white and IR, VFGs, lasers and switches.

Hi.  I'm your typical GD slug. I load my rifle with junk that costs more than my monthly house payment because it looks cool as hell. I will never use it for anything but shooting off a bench in perfect daylight weather and cringe at the thought of begging battery money from the wife.

I dream for the day someone invents a beer coozie  that takes a rail.
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 9:00:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
.....  I've never heard of SOPMOD Block II.  .....

OK, you never hearing about it means what?

Link Posted: 3/5/2012 9:01:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hi.  I'm your typical GD slug. I load my rifle with junk that costs more than my monthly house payment because it looks cool as hell. I will never use it for anything but shooting off a bench in perfect daylight weather and cringe at the thought of begging battery money from the wife.

I dream for the day someone invents a beer coozie  that takes a rail.

Link Posted: 3/5/2012 9:02:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Last time I checked the SOPMOD did not have a FULL LENGTH quad rail setup.  Its been a while since I looked though.  

Which is the point of my post and the aspect I'm puzzled about.

But thanks for playing.

ETA:  And yeah, if you're reenacting "issue" equipment, then cool... just say "I'm duplicating an issue set up"

But for a weekend plinker...
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 9:04:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

for a weapon mounted light ala tlr1 or surefire. allows ambidextrous control of said light

additionally, in a CQB scenario, it lowers your profile whilst holding a door.

thats why
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 9:04:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Last time I checked the SOPMOD did not have a FULL LENGTH quad rail setup.  

But thanks for playing.

Like this one?

Or even these ones?
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/541606_M4A1_SOPMOD_Block_II_clone_picture_thread.html
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 9:05:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

for a weapon mounted light ala tlr1 or surefire. allows ambidextrous control of said light

thats why

Ahh, i can see why some guy working in a cubicle needs one.
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 9:06:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Last time I checked the SOPMOD did not have a FULL LENGTH quad rail setup.  

But thanks for playing.

Like this one?

http://spartanat.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/102_0072.jpg

Or even these ones?
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/541606_M4A1_SOPMOD_Block_II_clone_picture_thread.html

I stand corrected... obviously.  Was it the Block 1 the version that used the carbine length rail?
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 9:06:43 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Last time I checked the SOPMOD did not have a FULL LENGTH quad rail setup.  Its been a while since I looked though.  

But thanks for playing.

ETA:  And yeah, if you're reenacting "issue" equipment, then cool... just say "I'm duplicating an issue set up"

ETA: damn that was quick

Link Posted: 3/5/2012 9:06:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

But thanks for playing.

You're right, they absolutely don't.
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 9:07:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Lol, we all went right to that pic.
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 9:08:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

thats why

cubicles and like every other form of cover evar. yes
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 9:10:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But thanks for playing.

LOL... yeah, cranial rectal inversion.    My brother had a SOPMOD clone that had only carbine length rails.  I guess I'm just not up on the latest and greatest.

So, we have established one very particularized reason for the full length quad rail:   To duplicate a particular configuration of kit issued to the boys.   That's good enough for me, I guess so far as that goes.    Goodness knows as soon as I get all the parts, I'll have an 'nam era configuration in my safe.

But aside from issue equipment reenactors...  I still don't get the full rail thing.

Meh.  

Link Posted: 3/5/2012 9:12:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

thats why

A cubicle is not cover. It's concealment.
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 9:13:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

thats why

A cubicle is not cover. It's concealment.

I heard magpul was coming out with lvl 4 multi hit stand alone cubicle panels. Thats some hot shit right there.
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 9:15:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Whatever.

Work in progress.

Link Posted: 3/5/2012 9:17:24 PM EDT
[#29]
my ARs are again out of style
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 9:18:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Real men don't need rails or hand guards, they grab the barrel with their bare hands
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 9:19:05 PM EDT
[#31]

Carbine length handguards with a FSB feel short as hell to me now.

My 18.5" precision rig wears a VTAC wrapped in camoform though.
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 9:38:34 PM EDT
[#32]
This thread is as stupid as the 'why build 'cheap' AR15s' thread.

And since they make you so angry and disgusted, here's mine

Link Posted: 3/5/2012 9:40:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But thanks for playing.

LOL... yeah, cranial rectal inversion.    My brother had a SOPMOD clone that had only carbine length rails.  I guess I'm just not up on the latest and greatest.

So, we have established one very particularized reason for the full length quad rail:   To duplicate a particular configuration of kit issued to the boys.   That's good enough for me, I guess so far as that goes.    Goodness knows as soon as I get all the parts, I'll have an 'nam era configuration in my safe.

But aside from issue equipment reenactors...  I still don't get the full rail thing.

Meh.  

So the fact that it's a military issue setup doesn't make you think "maybe there actually is something to this"?

Maybe you should have specified that you think civilians have no need for full length quad rails.

Because clearly, they're not pointless.

Now go play with the other kids. Dinner will be ready in an hour.
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 9:43:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It will be a "game changer"

I have a full length rail system with nothing on.  It's my money and I like the way it looks.  So what.
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 9:43:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Yes.

/thread
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 9:44:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Yup, just put a TROY rail on my .308 and now I hate my DD rail on the .223
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 9:44:23 PM EDT
[#37]
You know what I really hate? Those yahoos who put optics on their ARs. Why is the carry handle not good enough for them? I just don't get the point of sticking something like one of those EOTek things or scopes on something thats just a glorified 22. Save the scopes for the bolt guns, ya internet wannabes.
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 9:52:22 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

You know what I really hate? Those yahoos who put optics on their ARs. Why is the carry handle not good enough for them? I just don't get the point of sticking something like one of those EOTek things or scopes on something thats just a glorified 22. Save the scopes for the bolt guns, ya internet wannabes.

Man, me too. Even more so, those damn fools that buy AR15s. Why do you need 30 rounds and semi auto when all you're gonna do is sit on a bench in nice weather.

I mean, how many of those idiots are ever going to use all those damn bullets? I get it I guess if you're into re-enacting military kit, but other than that? Stupid.

Ohh... wait... That's right, this thread is dildos.
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 9:54:04 PM EDT
[#39]
I like the look

I like the the way it feels

I like the longer sight radius

I like the fact that I'll have plenty of room to attach accessories should I ever feel the need to

Haters keep hating - I couldn't afford any more if they became the next big thing

Link Posted: 3/5/2012 10:10:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
FF tubes make great handwarmers in the winter.

Full length rails are tarded.

Customizable rails are probably the best option.

That's why I opted for this:

Link Posted: 3/5/2012 10:21:52 PM EDT
[#41]
cause it's nice to be able to put ure shit where you want it and make adjustments without removing a bunch of tiny screws

that is why professionals have rails
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 10:46:49 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm afraid of posting my rifles in a dinner pic because I bought them a few years ago and FF quad rails are out of style.  I don't want to get made fun of...

Link Posted: 3/5/2012 10:58:10 PM EDT
[#43]

yep

Those rails were most likely made for people who actually needed lasers, lights, Clip on NVG, Bipod, BUIS, and VFG.

ETA and just because
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 11:26:45 PM EDT
[#44]
i think they look weird, but i don't judge.  i have a middy-4, and some people complain about that.  don't know why they give a shit about my rifle.

Link Posted: 3/5/2012 11:27:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Current train of thought is that is where a weapon mounted light should be.  

Link Posted: 3/5/2012 11:28:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Well I'm not exactly a big rail-rifle fan myself...

But as long as they aren't spending my money on their rails, I don't care.
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 11:29:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Current train of thought is that is where a weapon mounted light should be.  

Where the hell do you put the bayonet?
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 11:37:06 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Well I'm not exactly a big rail-rifle fan myself...

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n171/Der_Hans/P1010002-1-1.jpg

But as long as they aren't spending my money on their rails, I don't care.

are those the new magpul triangular rail covers?  i gots to order some!

Link Posted: 3/5/2012 11:46:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I just realized I'm not using nearly enough space on the rails.

http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/af128/sonnystag/CIMG2614.jpg

reminds me of mine.

Link Posted: 3/5/2012 11:49:18 PM EDT
[#50]

why not, because you cant afford one and I can...

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top