Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/4/2002 4:07:24 PM EDT
So I'm on a mission to get some things done around the house towards selling the place and eventually moving... last week I decided that instead of simply fixing the leak in the kitchen faucet (probably just a rubber gasket) I would go ahead and install a nice, new fixture.  And it went reasonably well...no leaks, looks great.  

So I'm all confident from last week's little handy job and I decide to tackle the bathroom faucet today.  First, whoever installed the thing put some kind of plaster-based sealant or something around the original fixture... took a while to scrape that down to a clean palate.  Get everything installed like it should be and go for the test run... the drain pipe and the cold water feed pipe are leaking.  

The drain pipe flange is simply not seated straight... fixed it, all good.  The feed pipe screw was too long for the stem so I had to pull the whole thing apart and put a shorter screw cap on.  (BTW, I am not exactly "up" on plumbing terminology... if anyone one's going to be a stickler LOL)  Everything gets tightened down and she works good!  [:D]

Then the power goes out an hour later.  Sooooo.. I take a nap.  Still no power.  I run and pick up some hay and stop off at the neighbor's to talk, play with the horses and dogs and go swimming... I will definately miss my neighbors.  

The power came back on while I was over there and when I go back home I was greated with the missing Great Lake in my bathroom.  WTF?  Why would it work before and not now?  The sudden pressure of the pump kicking back in??  

I cut off the water supply... I'll deal with it tomorrow.  

BTW, Happy Fourth of July!!! [:D]  
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 4:08:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Plumber's crack
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 4:15:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 4:22:39 PM EDT
[#3]
When you go to the store for plumbing parts buy a whole bunch of different pieces so that you may have a needed part next time.(I have a big rubbermaid container full of parts).Sink was leaking today due to cracked 'nut' and I simply pulled out a 99 cent plastic one to fix it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 4:29:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Too bad, MM.  Plumbers make bank.  If I ever come home to a plumber's van in front of my house, I'll count myself lucky if he's just there cheating on my wife.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 4:44:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So...
You need someone to fix your pluming problem.[:D]
View Quote

OH so [b]Waverunner[/b] wasn't up to the task, now you think [b]you[/b] are........

Hmmmmmmmmmm
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 4:50:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Plastic drain hardware is terrible about leaking if you don't go the extra mile to prep it. The quality control goobs that pass/fail this stuff should smoke less weed and pay atention to to product. Almost everytime that I use this stuff I have to file and scrape flash from the molding process to get a good seal. Mismatch on the molds leaves a leak path too. I sand, file, scrape and add plumbers putty to all the joints and sealing surfaces. It pays off. The faying surfaces get special attention as well as the threads. Good luck sister.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 5:15:12 PM EDT
[#7]
2 words......

Teflon Tape!
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 7:09:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Weird Al has a song about plumbers, same cd as that nirvana song he did I think.  And another one about shooting fluffy.  Proper classical music in my opinion.

Real classical music goes with bugs bunny cartoons.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 7:24:24 PM EDT
[#9]
You're cool, MM, so I would be happy to fix it for free - if you weren't hundreds of miles away!!
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 7:47:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Folks, Im a real Plumber and I dont play one on TV :)

Its amazing how simple most plumbing really is when you are referring to garden variety kitchen/bath repairs. Trained ape stuff actually, IMHO. Some that I have trained successfully over the years prove that without question :)

It can be insanely frustrating at times though when things dont work out as they should. Threads on fittings can be really finicky at times, just have to know how to sweet talk them.... that is the secret. Or just how to use a BFW sometimes coupled with a BFH. That is why I carry 36 inch pipewrenches on the truck for things that just wont listen to reason.

DRAM
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 8:30:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 8:35:08 PM EDT
[#12]
were you male, i'd ask if it was because you can't lay pipe.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 8:39:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Why I'm Not A Plumber...

A few weeks at sea on the SS Wright.  Just about every other day the shitters would back up and the head would be awash.  Looked like a carrier battle group in a sea of piss....

If I decide to make a living cleaning up messes like that, I'm charging out the wazzoo for it!
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 9:13:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Looked like a carrier battle group in a sea of piss....
View Quote

That's funny!
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 5:46:35 AM EDT
[#15]
I have teflon tape and pipe thread sealant... which one is better?
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 5:53:31 AM EDT
[#16]
To be honest Sara, I prefer ribbed condoms to teflon tape, only because it doesn't hurt so much to take it off...

Thats what we were talking about....right?
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 6:24:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Teflon tape
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 2:07:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Edited because one threat from Sara is good enough for me.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 3:27:35 PM EDT
[#19]

Your "plaster based sealant is called plumbers putty.. used on all new fixtures to seal water from dripping into your cabinet area and is pretty much mandatory

Use Teflon tape on PVC or CPVC threads...

Use Teflon plumbers dope for Iron pipe...
Rectorseal is about the best

These are pressure requirements...  

Stainless flex from threaded coupling to fixture doesn't use anything but a good tightening.

Most drain pipes "traps" are self sealing also...  Sounds like you've got it covered

Good luck..

I'd like to check your plumbing for ya...  

Sorry, I couldn't resist.. [:)]

Realist out
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top