Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/3/2002 10:15:54 PM EDT
Haha! No more guns and now no more cars! Better sell those registered pre-bans and buy horses!

From a forwarded email:

The Senate gutted and amended a bill (AB 1493) on Saturday afternoon, June
29, 2002, and put in the language previously contained in AB 1058 (the SUV
tax bill).  It was sent back over to the Assembly, where it passed behind
closed door session on Monday, July 1, 2002.  It has now gone to the
Governor.

For those that do not remember, AB 1058 enabled CARB to create standards to
contain carbon dioxide emmissions.  Their plan for doing this was the
following:

A.  Raising taxes on gasoline by fifty cents a gallon;
       B.  Taxing the miles you drive at two cents per mile;
       C.  Raising taxes on SUVs and minivans by $3500;
       D.  Reducing the speed limit to 55 miles per hour (again);
and
       E.  Requiring everybody to have a "tire check" certification, much like a smog check today.  

The Democrats that passed the bill are saying that they have amended the
bill to take the concerns of opponents into consideration.  This is
semantics.  The bill still does exactly what it originally did.  It is now
on the Governor's desk, and it is imperative that the citizens of this State
let Governor Davis know that they do not want this bill passed.  Therefore,
please contact the Governor and share your opinion with him.  Ask him to
veto AB 1493.  He can be reached as follows:

Governor Gray Davis
State Capitol Building
Sacramento, CA 95814

Phone: 916-445-2841

Fax: 916-445-4633

Emails to the Governor's office are ineffectual as they are automatically responded too and there is no way to know if they are actually looked at.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 10:17:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 10:20:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't laugh. It won't be long before the liberals here come pouring out of California like a wave of pure idiocy to engulf everyone else. Man, that's depressing.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 10:50:12 PM EDT
[#3]
If the INS builds a fence at the mexican border, can we have them go north along the california border??
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 10:57:14 PM EDT
[#4]
If they'd all leave for AZ, we'd be in great shape.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 12:18:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't know where that information came from, but the bill states (twice, no less):

(d) The regulations adopted by the state board pursuant to subdivision (a) shall not require any of the following:
  (1) The imposition of additional fees and taxes on any motor vehicle, fuel, or vehicle miles traveled, pursuant to this section or
any other provision of law.
  (2) A ban on the sale of any vehicle category in the state, specifically including, but not limited to, sport utility vehicles
and light-duty trucks.
  (3) A reduction in vehicle weight.
  (4) A limitation on, or reduction of, the speed limit on any street or highway in the state.
  (5) A limitation on, or reduction of, vehicle miles traveled.
View Quote

Sounds like a lot of hoopla to me.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 8:36:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Imbroglio you are just believing the hype that the anti-1493 advertisers are spouting out.  The bill specifically states what Mattja posted in the text of the bill. All this bill is gonna do is require additional smog requirements on California cars just like when there used to be a 49 state car and a California car from manufacturers in the 70's-80's.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 10:02:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Self-hatred is a terrible thing...
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 10:29:16 AM EDT
[#8]
I told you guys last year......

We sholda traded Kali to China for our downed pilots....

But nooooooo, you guys wouldnt listen to me!
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 10:33:31 AM EDT
[#9]
i was reading the paper this morn and it said that comrade davis was considering signing it.
   also stated that his office has received many phone calls about it and to my surprise 3-2 in favor e mails were pouring in too at 4-1 in favor.this was from his office i myself find this hard to believe the results but not the lie about it!!
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 10:58:51 AM EDT
[#10]
If this crap was coming out of any other state but this one...I'd have called the men in white coats.  Since it's my old home state...I believe every friggin word!

Those dumbass liberals will do anything to regulate society and steal your money so they can do social engineering.  What a load of manure.  My daughter still lives there in Ojai.  She called her mother last night and mentioned this...I just passed it off as another goofy idea.  Now I'm a believer.

Grey-Out Davis will sign the damn thing too...have no fear, you liberals.  You get to rip off the citizens again...and feel real good in the process...plus, now you have more of the public's money to play with!  Won't THAT be fun?

[pissed]
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 11:03:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If this crap was coming out of any other state but this one...I'd have called the men in white coats.  Since it's my old home state...I believe every friggin word!

Those dumbass liberals will do anything to regulate society and steal your money so they can do social engineering.  What a load of manure.  My daughter still lives there in Ojai.  She called her mother last night and mentioned this...I just passed it off as another goofy idea.  Now I'm a believer.

Grey-Out Davis will sign the damn thing too...have no fear, you liberals.  You get to rip off the citizens again...and feel real good in the process...plus, now you have more of the public's money to play with!  Won't THAT be fun?

[pissed]
View Quote

what money?  this bill doesnt have anything to do with raising money. I wouldnt vote for it but why don't you guys read the stupid bill at least, talk about uninformed
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top