User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/3/2002 9:55:11 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 9:59:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 10:01:00 PM EDT
[#2]
The proper response is to fire fifty+ warning shots into the air....

Scott

Link Posted: 7/3/2002 10:02:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The proper response is to fire fifty+ warning shots into the air....

Scott
View Quote

LOL [:D]

Link Posted: 7/3/2002 10:02:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Glad everything turned out OK. Legs has it right though...be vigilant!

Link Posted: 7/3/2002 10:02:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 10:03:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 10:06:51 PM EDT
[#7]
... Based on your description, it sounds like maybe a drunk / druggie had mistaken your house for Jeremy's.

... Be careful
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 10:16:56 PM EDT
[#8]
[b]M4Madness[/b], for all your gaffs, you've done well. You and your wife are safe, the baddies are gone, and you don't have bits of badguy entrails splattered on your front porch.

But consider this an excellent lesson learned: Watch your flanks, keep your antennae up for BG #2 (and #3) hiding out of view.

Quoted:
All's well that ends well . . . also, keep a bright flashlight (I use a two cell Mag Light)for the additional purpose of shining it in the eyes of your attacker.  If you have a mirror at the end of a hallway, look at yourself pointing a shotgun (unloaded, duh) with a flashlight shining at your image.  You can't see at all.  Then light up an object as an imaginary "attacker" and see the advantage you have.
View Quote

That's always something I've wondered about as I've heard some who are against the "light 'em up" tactic.

It's said that by using a flashlight to illuminate your target/foe, you immediately send out a "shoot here" beacon for them or their flankers to know your position in the dark whereas if you stay dark, you are just as obscured as they are.

I wouldn't want to broadcast my position in the dark to the BG or any of his buddies, but I also understand that actually SEEING your target has immense advantages also.

Link Posted: 7/3/2002 10:22:32 PM EDT
[#9]
No, Jeremy, doesn't live here, but[b] let me introduce you to my little friend[/b] <[i]in my best Al Pacino Cuban brogue[/i]>

Sounds to me like a coupla morons barely escaped with their asses intact.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 10:23:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 10:30:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Glad everything turned out OK.  You now realize what you need to do to be more prepared.  Another thing, my friends and I every once and a while after walking into a store will have each other ID everyone in the store after we leave.  After just a few times you get much better at recalling little details, how many people, approximate size, skin tone, what they were wearing and any other key features.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 10:31:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Try the mirror thing.  Any shots would be incoming completely w/o benefit of being aimed.  No use playing fair.  [}:D]
View Quote

I know what you're saying. My only concern is if I'm not actually shining directly at the foe - try the mirror thing then pull your aim just slightly off your mark. If you're the BG (or a flanker), you'll see a greatly illuminated bullseye to aim towards.

I suppose no method is foolproof in all circumstances though.

Quoted:
Personally, I keep eyeglasses, flashlight, and Mossy 590 handy.  My wife knows the drill--she gets down behind the water bed and calls 911 for a meat wagon, then my attorney, who is pro-gun and known by me in advance.
View Quote

Now THAT'S a plan!
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 10:35:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm glad it worked out without casualties. You may want to review and reconsider you're tactics and general awareness for next time.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 10:36:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't think it was anything more than drunken idiocy.  They probably decided to rouse their buddy and get him to come drinking too.  They may have been planning an ambush, but to me it sounds like nothing more than sinister than some DUI and foolishness.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 10:43:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Personally, I wouldn't have shown the AR unless it got hinkey and he wouldn't leave. Now he knows you have a nice, expensive toy they may think about making theirs.

Of course, I wasn't there, so I don't know just how hinkey it was there.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 10:53:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Good thing that you were ready to display your AR to a couple of guys that were looking for your neighbors' house.
"acted very strange", eh?  But couldn't describe the man, nor his attire, nor his vehicle. . . I wonder what qualifies as "strange" behavior in your part of the "rural area".
Well, good thing that you defused that situation!  I'm sure that that "second guy" had a bead on your head!
And you logged on tonight to report this?
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:01:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Personally, I wouldn't have shown the AR unless it got hinkey and he wouldn't leave. Now he knows you have a nice, expensive toy they may think about making theirs.

Of course, I wasn't there, so I don't know just how hinkey it was there.
View Quote

How could you NOT show the AR?

It doesn't matter what you have for a gun, if you show it they are going to know you have something worth stealing. The alternative is to never use your guns to defend yourself- or to shoot EVERYONE you think is suspicious just so it can be a secret.

Neither of those is a very practical alternative now are they?

That bad part I see in this is not that you revealed something to them, that was unavoidable. The bad part is that the cops never met them so they were never questioned and their true ID's and backgrounds determined. Then you would have known if they were just drunks or something more sinister.

If you knew for certain they were just drunks you could just blow this off. But since that didn't happen would suggest a higher than normal level of security and caution for the next couple weeks.

And it wouldn't hurt to ask you neighbor about this, that is if your neighbor is not something you try to avoid. Maybe it was a accident, wouldn't hurt to find out.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:12:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I only have one question. Did you lock the safe again after you you retrieved your AR????????
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:12:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Hey M4Madness, I keep two Minimag lights and a few chemlights on top of my safe. If the batteries are bad in flash lights I always a have the chem lights in which I can snap and get hours of light.

If you put a red or blue lens in Minimags you can be really stealthy when opening your safe.

Be safe and have a Happy Independence Day.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:12:57 PM EDT
[#20]
[url=]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=129529[/url]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:17:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:17:56 PM EDT
[#22]
That didn't take long......[:D]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:20:13 PM EDT
[#23]
yeah it was funny. maybe I'll even unlock it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:21:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:21:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

So what? What is this supposed to mean?

Are you trying to allege that this was made up? Why? Why do you find it so hard to beleve that people use their AR's to actually defend themselves?

If I had to use my AR to defend myself, and got off without having to actually shoot someone-which opens a whole different legal can of worms- you bet I would post it.

I would hope that most people here would.

Do you find something STRANGE about this?

And that wasn't funny what PRK did, which is why that thread is now LOCKED. He is just jealous and possibly a little frightned, because he lives in a state where he could never do what M4Madness did without being hauled away in cuffs...
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:22:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Um, IMHO, this is a spoof of this thread.  LOL  A good one too!!  [:D]
View Quote

I know, I know. . . just trying to ensure the connection.
[The "spoof" has already been locked]

Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:23:32 PM EDT
[#27]
I shot a burglar last Feb at my house (case goes to court 11July). I cannot even begin to list the MANY tactical mistakes I made in dealing with that jackass. Like you, I came out ok.

Hopefully we can both learn from our encounters & not make the same mistake twice. My nightmare from my burglar is: what if he had been armed & shooting? Since you opened your door to a totally unknown situation, you too took unnecessary chances.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:25:20 PM EDT
[#28]
I must give credit to my inspiration, Johnny_Reno

[url]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=124445[/url]

These parodies from the "perp"'s point of view actually have a side-effect which I think is beneficial:  thinking about how you might have an accusation laid on you like One Shot One Kill did, if the jackass went and called the Sheriff on YOU.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:26:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Why do you people find what M4Madness posted to be a source of mirth? I didn't find anything particularly humerous in what he wrote?

Do you assume he is not telling the truth? Why?
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:28:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

So what? What is this supposed to mean?

Are you trying to allege that this was made up? Why? Why do you find it so hard to beleve that people use their AR's to actually defend themselves?

If I had to use my AR to defend myself, and got off without having to actually shoot someone-which opens a whole different legal can of worms- you bet I would post it.

I would hope that most people here would.

Do you find something STRANGE about this?

And that wasn't funny what PRK did, which is why that thread is now LOCKED. He is just jealous and possibly a little frightned, because he lives in a state where he could never do what M4Madness did without being hauled away in cuffs...
View Quote

I'd like to make something clear:
I count on my AR to serve as protection for me.
I trust my magazines and ammo to function perfectly at the critical moment, and I select them accordingly.
At times, I train as if it were for my life.
Please don't misunderstand.

Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:30:33 PM EDT
[#31]
slow down people! the spoof thread(while funny, yes I do have a sense of humor) was locked because I do feel this is a serious matter and not a made up event.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:33:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Why do you people find what M4Madness posted to be a source of [red]mirth[/red]?
View Quote

Wasn't mirth one of the gifts of the Three Wise Men?

Gold, Frankincense and Mirth. I think so.
Quoted:
I didn't find anything particularly humerous in what he wrote?
View Quote
Not surprising coming from a man who actually uses words like "mirth".[:D]

Quoted:
Do you assume he is not telling the truth? Why?
View Quote
Do you assume that we assume he's not telling the truth? Why?
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:35:20 PM EDT
[#33]
I have no reason to doubt that the gravity of the event was real in the mind of M4'.  
Pure speculation, and, in some ways, pure credit to what I believe is the intrinsic goodness in humankind, but I do feel that this was an honest mistake of address on the part of those who knocked on the door of M4's house.
Yes, everything ended safely for everyone involved.  This is what matters in the end.  Relieved to know that a member of this board didn't elevate what could have been an honest mistake to the point of deadly force.

Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:37:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:44:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
Not surprising coming from a man who actually uses words like "mirth".
View Quote

I did not see any arm bones anywhere.  [BD]
View Quote

Oh stop with the mirth already [b]beekeeper[/b]! [:D]

Besides, he is the [b][red]Arm[/red]dLbrl[/b] [BD]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:48:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

I guess that although I consider myself to be on the trailing edge of comedy, I'm stumped.  Does this have something to do with a lack of a "humerus" take on the posts?
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:48:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I must give credit to my inspiration, Johnny_Reno

[url]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=124445[/url]

These parodies from the "perp"'s point of view actually have a side-effect which I think is beneficial:  thinking about how you might have an accusation laid on you like One Shot One Kill did, if the jackass went and called the Sheriff on YOU.
View Quote

Well MAYBE... but you see there are such large regional differences. What happend to One Shot simply COULD NOT happen in Arizona, or in any of thirty other states. At the same time, there are several stats, New York and California at the top of the list, where what M4Madness did would get him put in jail. And in those places we do need to encourage our people to use caution.

Dont know where Indiana rates on that- hope he does!

However in States where it is safe to do so we should encourage people to exercise their rights to the fullest extent, so that the "others" become used to it. And maybe even some will become converted...
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:50:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

I guess that although I consider myself to be on the trailing edge of comedy, I'm stumped.  Does this have something to do with a lack of a "humerus" take on the posts?
View Quote

I misspelled humorous, and probably others, typing too fast again...
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:51:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Forget it, I see.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:52:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Forget it, I see.
View Quote

[Edited to add that I'm stupid for not seeing the pertinent post before]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:53:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:56:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
All in good fun, gents.  No offense intended.  It's late, I'm feeling plucky, and am now off to bed.  Happy Fourth!!
[USA]
View Quote

I don't know why I like beekeeper1 so much but I just do.  He's like an unmet uncle somehow. . . great guy.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:58:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Why, again, did you open the door?
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 12:06:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 12:18:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why do you people find what M4Madness posted to be a source of [red]mirth[/red]?
View Quote

Wasn't mirth one of the gifts of the Three Wise Men?

Gold, Frankincense and Mirth. I think so.
View Quote

Thats [b]myrrh[/b] you Godless Commie!!!  Myrrh!  Myrrh!!  MYRRH!!!  Spell it right dangit!!!

hehe just playing with ya.  [;)]  Oh the things you do when you're tired and bored...*twiddles thumbs*
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 12:39:16 AM EDT
[#46]
   At the risk of being called a moderator kiss-ass, Troy makes the point I was getting ready to bring up. YOU OPENED THE DOOR around midnight when somebody is banging the crap out of it?

Unless there is someone on the other side screaming POLICE OPEN UP while beating on my door. I am going to be screaming (without opening my door) WHO THE F*** IS BANGING ON MY DOOR AT 12 O'CLOCK MIDNIGHT? while racking a round in my shotgun. Whoever answers better sound scared or I will be sh*tting my scooby doo's!

Link Posted: 7/4/2002 1:12:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 1:27:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Why didn't you pick up a little something for the wife while you were at the safe?

I keep an ASP keychain light clipped to my robe; that sounds like it would have worked great for you finding and opening the safe without the BGs/Unknowns noticing the light.  (I also keep a SureFire in the nightstand.)
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 3:58:54 AM EDT
[#49]
i have 2 rotts, they are great for those pesky midnight salesmen, or whatever they say the are, if they pound too hard, for too long, i open the door, and watchem go
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 4:23:53 AM EDT
[#50]
Depending on your arsenal, I'd say there was a second mistake made: picking up a rifle instead of a shotgun or large-caliber handgun.

In my opinion, rifles are too cumbersome to wield against robbers.  A handgun is easier to point in close quarters;  a shotgun is more devastating.

The only advantage of a rifle is that it'll hit harder if you manage to point it in the right direction when yanking the trigger.  Even then, if you've got it loaded with FMJ, it's still not going to do as well as a .45 with HP's or a 12ga load of #4's.

JMHO.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top