Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2002 9:15:12 PM EDT
Me, goin on 3 months and really itchn to stop watching daytime soaps with the wife between trips to the gun shop or local range.

[stick]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 9:28:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Me, goin on 3 months and really itchn to stop watching daytime soaps with the wife between trips to the gun shop or local range.
[stick]
View Quote

Uhh... you ARE joking right?
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 9:30:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Joking about the soaps but not the jobless part.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 9:40:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Since I was 14 years old, this is the longest I've been out of work. Coming up on four months now.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 9:44:55 PM EDT
[#4]
As of this moment, 366 days and there is no end in sight.

Do I win a prize or something?
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 9:45:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Joking about the soaps but not the jobless part.
View Quote

Whew!

Sorry to hear you're going through some lean times though.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 9:45:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 9:48:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 9:48:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Thankx for the thoughts Mojo

I am going to find a job in TX so I can attend ETH's big Shootin events!!

[50]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 9:49:09 PM EDT
[#9]
My son was born on March 17th, 1999.  I quit working on that day and I'm not going to start again until I know I have done a good job teaching him the basics of how to make a good well thought out decision himself.

Wisdom can be learned, but potty training takes priority. [smiley]

Link Posted: 7/3/2002 9:51:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Longest, 14 months.  Though, in all fairness, 8 months of that was by my choice, and then there was that whole 9-11 thing that harshed my vibe for another 6 months.

Almost 1 month now.  Anyone need a programmer/system administrator in Arizona, or with substantial telecommuting? [:)]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 9:55:51 PM EDT
[#11]
13 months & counting. Looking for something that I can do part-time while attending the UW. surprisingly difficult to nail down something amenable to my needs.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 10:14:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Hell move to texas and become a farmer.

Then you can take part of in the welfare program for the lazy ass farmer.

I know the mid -west has farm subsidy's but god damn 7,692,611,112 dollars paid to texas farmers in a 5 year period 1996-2001

This is more that the next 10 states on the list.

In all fairness Only 29 percent of texas farmers draw  farm subsidy(farmer welfare).Shit just imagine if 75 percent receive this like in nebraska.

If you like arkansas  try looking at riceland foods inc., in stuttgart ar, they received $220,821,862.85 in 2000-2001.

Who the fuVk is running this farm subsidy program?

Link Posted: 7/3/2002 10:15:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I have never been unemployed since I was 12, grew up on a farm, joined the Army, got out went to work for a roofing company fell, damn near killed myself, went on workers comp. for 2 weeks, bowed my head( worked for a carpet cleaning company) healed up and got into the construction trade and here I am. No [flame] intended..
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 10:16:39 PM EDT
[#14]
5 mos for me. And it cost me an AR, SKS and my Glock17. As well as pawning my LEGP and Mossberg 590A1
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 10:35:22 PM EDT
[#15]
This stretch is three weeks and counting, the longest was six weeks 5 years ago.  This time i'm much better prepared, though.  

Anyone want a Sysadmin in Kali, AZ, NV, or TX?  [:D]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 10:46:56 PM EDT
[#16]
9 months. Not on unemployment. Hated the job I had so I saved up as much money as I could and just quit one day.

Took longer than I thought I would until I found a job I liked, but I ended up changing careers and everything turned out for the best.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 10:56:37 PM EDT
[#17]
If someone is unemployed, does this mean that there are absolutely no jobs within reasonable commuting distance available?
Why not spend your time volunteering?
Get busy.

[Edited to add that I've no sympathy for someone who hasn't got something to show for "time inbetween".]  

Make yourself useful.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:00:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If someone is unemployed, does this mean that there are absolutely no jobs within reasonable commuting distance available?
Why not spend your time volunteering?
Get busy.

[Edited to add that I've no sympathy for someone who hasn't got something to show for "time inbetween".]  Make yourself useful.
View Quote

Volunteering would cut into my womenz turning me down and photoshoping time.

I do gunsmithing in exchange for ammo and being able to shoot their guns. That is about all I have been able to do.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:19:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Get busy.

[Edited to add that I've no sympathy for someone who hasn't got something to show for "time inbetween".]  

Make yourself useful.
View Quote

Finding a job IS a full-time job if you're serious about it.  Lucky you I guess.  

The recruiter I talked with monday had this to tell me.  For every job that I want, he has three other guys who also want it.  And there's about 30 agencies trying to fill it.  The key is to distinguish yourself to the company.  

So yeah....there's not many jobs within reasonable commuting distance from me right now.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:24:20 PM EDT
[#20]
I count myself as extremely lucky, collected unemployment for three weeks in 1992 after ETS from the ARMY.

Been employed since. Good luck to all who are looking....
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 2:06:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Never been unemployed more than a week.  But for the last coupla months work has been real slow.  Down to 40 hours a week.  Got used to the overtime.

Already sold one .45, time to figure out which one to sell next. Hopefully side work will pick up and I won't have to sell anything else.

Why couldn't I have been born rich, instead of so damned good lookin'[:D]
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 4:45:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 4:59:15 AM EDT
[#23]
After Uncle Sam gave me my flag, salute and a blue ID card I didn't work for over a year.  Took me that long to realize that retirement isn't for me.

Eddie
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 5:01:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
As of this moment, 366 days and there is no end in sight.

Do I win a prize or something?
View Quote

Hah.  Lightweight.  443 days and no end in sight.

"The economy sucks."  A MSCS, twelve years of experience, and excellent references are worthless when compared against $1.25/hour Indians working over the internet, or even $12/hour Indians with an H1-B visa.  After all, there is a drastic shortage of programmers and other computer talent in this country, and we need more H1-B immigrants.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 5:09:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 5:31:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Mine was 1 year, last year, before going back in the Army. It looks like that may be the final straw that breaks the marriage.

Don Out
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 5:44:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Six months.
Took a part-time job that allows me to work full-time, but I'm still only making half what I was. Really cuts into the ammo supplies and new toys.
I try and send out at least one resume a week. Took two postal exams and got a 100 on one and an 80 on the other. Wasn't allowed to apply Veteran's preference because I'm not a PREFERRED Veteran. The VA is still trying to determine what % of disability I am entitled to, if any, and it's taking forever to get a final answer. If I get any % at all, it should help with Veteran's preference on a Gub'mint job and that's really all I'm hoping for (16 years federal service accumulated).
Keep your head up and keep sending out resume's. Don't get discouraged if you don't get a response because it would seem that NOBODY gives aknowledgement of recieving your papers.......
Good Luck and happy Independence Day!
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 6:10:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Three months in the late 1980's.
Right now I am working a job with lower pay but really good job security. I prefer having it this way, my friends who are going through layoff threats are really spooked.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 6:22:57 AM EDT
[#29]
I was unemployed for the first 14 years of my life.

Link Posted: 7/4/2002 6:24:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Mine was 1 year, last year, before going back in the Army. It looks like that may be the final straw that breaks the marriage.

Don Out
View Quote

My first marriage was terminated by being in the 82nd. Re-classed and found a replacement wife and not wanting to lose #2, got out. Who knows what the right thing to do is, but I'd follow your gut and do what is right for you.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 6:43:29 AM EDT
[#31]
2 months.   I was whacked from a telecomm company.  Sales Engineer.  Had 2 job offers within the first 2 weeks.  Both companies filed for Chap 11 protection and froze hiring.

I was too proud to take something "beneath me".
Then I read an article.  The lady mentioned is it worse to have a friend or someone you know see you serving fries, washing windows, etc.  or see your name in the paper for going banckrupt?   That got me thinking.   I now work for a small telemetry company.   We remotely monitor propane tanks, heating oil, lubes, etc.  My base is maybe a 3rd of what I used to make.  Thank GOD I can pay my bills.  I have a tight budget, I do a lot of horse trading to get to shoot as much as I would like.  My dad likes to shoot with me so he paid for my range membership this year.  I took my severence and paid off all my short term debt.  I took unemployment and used it for groceries.  I have a kid in college on nearly full ride. The other is 3.  Wife has a great job. At least this week. Good luck and HAPPY job HUNTING to you all.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 6:56:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 7:04:27 AM EDT
[#33]
8 months in 1984, when I sold out in NY and relocated to AZ...   I worked 40 hours per week "job searching"  Turned it into a business and had plenty of options after over 1000 applications and callbacks...  22 months til retirement...  Hang in there guys and don't quit...
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 7:14:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 7:16:59 AM EDT
[#35]
For me it's only been 6 days but since the entire metal cutting machine industry is now overseas, I think I will be changing careers. I have been at three places that have all closed their doors.  Companies that have been around since the 1920's.  Companies with 500 or more employees each.  I will be working within a month as I can't live on what unemployment pays.  Not without selling my vehicle or house.  I made $49,000 last year but with overtime, it was about $60,000.  Overtime was because there was not enough people to do what work we had left.  Don't move to the Metro Detroit area, We are in for very bad times here.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 7:54:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Lets see...I was in Telecom and laid off late July 2001. Like many others laid off around that time, I thought I could find another engineering position by the time my severence package ran out - Wrong!  Before the recession started (or is it now a depression?) I got offers from MCI, Nortel, Fujitsu, and others, and thats not including all the various contractors.  By July, there was nothing.  

For the next 7.5 months I was unemployed but looking.  I sent out hundreds of resumes, attended job fairs, even applied to be a school teacher.  The longer I was out of work, the lower I set my standards.  Its tough for a white collar worker to get a blue collar job - at first 'Overqualified' sounds almost like a compliment, but after hearing it 10 times from 10 different jobs that feeling changes fast.

Anyway, in april I finally found a company that would take a chance hiring a college graduate (yes, for now it seems like having a degree is a liabilty). I'm only making about 29% of what I used to, plus no benefits.  

I'd reconsider joining the military (I came an inch away from signing the contract a few months ago) but since learning more about how it kills marriages I'm leaning away from it.  
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 9:37:33 AM EDT
[#37]
I guess this is the longest, I don't count going back to school, or surgeries, 7.5 months.

I bailed because of merger and crappy new managers. I have never claimed unemployment. Plan was to take 3 months off (veg, R&R). Plans got messed up with 2 deaths (father and friend).

I have been selective lately. I am crossing my fingers for an interview next week as an instructor. If I don't get the position, I will be taking anything I can find. I think I am mature enough now, that scrubbing toilets won't be below me.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 9:54:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don Out
View Quote

My first marriage was terminated by being in the 82nd. Re-classed and found a replacement wife and not wanting to lose #2, got out. Who knows what the right thing to do is, but I'd follow your gut and do what is right for you.
View Quote

Roger that, bro. This is # 2, been together 10 yrs, gotta look out for me first, so that I can be there for us. Put things in God's hands, and drive on for now is the current solution.

Don Out
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 10:08:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Was laid-off from TYCO Electroncs in Jan...

Younger brother works on a top 5 NASCAR team in Mooresville, NC and is "pulling strings" for me...
I will have a position there in short order...(Already interviewed with team owner)
'Lil brother is 24 yrs old and makes over 100k yr...
I taught him everything he knows...

Right now I'm fixing up the house so I can sell it...

I've got about 40k worth of equity to relocate, and buy a few machineguns... [:D]  

The house is very sellable, and I should be in NC within 3-4 months...

Keeping my fingers crossed, and hoping this all falls into place nicely...

I'll 'hafta change my username to NASCAR ART [:D]
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 11:06:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Laid off 3 1/2 months ago, but that ended on Monday.  The sad thing was, I was pursuing buying my own business and liquidated most of my firearms to use as living expenses for a while.  Then I got headhunted and got an offer that I could not turn down.  So now I have a great job and very few guns.  Let this be a lesson to everyone else!
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 12:26:00 PM EDT
[#41]
I got laid of on August 1, 2001...and still looking for work!  However, I did have a 4-month contract between November and February.

But, it's amazing what the job market is like here in Houston right now.  I have an MBA degree with 10 years of experience in IT marketing/sales and I can't hardly even get interviews!!!

But, God has taken care of my family (the wife doesn't work...well, she takes care of our two little ones which is a job in itself)!  I just can't wait to start working again though...I'm going crazy.

Good luck brothers!!!
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 2:01:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Four years, but I wasn't really looking for a job until the end of the 3rd year since I didn't want to work much in college.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 2:18:39 PM EDT
[#43]
18 Months.

I used to work for Motorola, they gave me the boot.

In between I fixed electronic things for people. Bought, fixed and sold electronic music gear (Analog Synths & Guitar Amps) to make ends meet.

I REALLY was starting to hate that job and was looking for other things while I was there.

I can honestly say I don't miss that job. I was just burned out.

The management was always looking at everything and *some* of the employees were like high school students.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 2:21:39 PM EDT
[#44]
[B)][red][size=6][b]2 years 7 months...and counting!![/b][/size=6][/red][B)]

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 2:42:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Once for 3 months about 20 years ago after the light aviation industry in the US took a dump. Then again about 3 months about two years ago to recover from some surgery to my shoulder. I did ANYTHING I could find during my layoff, cut grass, painted houses, laid sod. Managed to keep my house with the help of my wife's income. Sure feel bad for everyone trying to get by in today's economy. My job looks good for at least a while.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 11:50:22 PM EDT
[#46]
26 years.  

I have not had a full time job until I started my residency last year.  
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 12:21:01 AM EDT
[#47]
I have only been out of work for 1 week since I graduated from high school. The last time I changed jobs, I made the decision to find something new on a Friday afternoon. By end of the day on the following Monday, I had an offer letter coming to me and I tendered my 2 weeks.

Ultimately, I chose to delay my start date by a month because I really needed a vacation. So, I don't count that as really being unemployed.

The key is to network, network, network. You have to stay in contact with your network and make sure you are meeting the right kinds of people in your desired field. After all, it never has been what you know, but.....

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top