Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/3/2002 5:22:07 AM EDT
Okay this is actually a question. Out of all the avid shooters on the board here, how many of you actively seek to introduce nonshooters, and especially women nonshooters to the culture? I try to get to the range at least once a month and take at least one nongunner every time I go.

Tomorrow morning, Tweet and I will be taking 4 nongunners to Spring Valley range in Waynesville for an introduction to the safe and exhilarating sport of hipower shooting.

Anyone in the area who wants to meet up, we will be at Spring Valley off 42 no later than 10am. Look for the bright yellow SUV.

Link Posted: 7/3/2002 5:44:17 AM EDT
[#1]
FOUR!!!

man, you are going to have your hands full.
it's hard enough trying to keep one shooter from pointing the muzzle the wrong way.  I can just see four women who don't know a thing about guns congratulating each other and pointing the muzzles of their weapons at one another.  I suggest you only give one of the four people one bullet at a time.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 5:58:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 6:09:18 AM EDT
[#3]
ben, i emailed your clevetown friend last night. lmk how things turn out.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 6:18:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Leave those blue shot thingys at home!  [:D]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 7:18:30 AM EDT
[#5]
It will be fun. It's always fun to break them in with big guns. I run them through the standard safety stuff and only 2 shoot at a time. I pair them up so they can work with each other. One loads mags and watches while the other shoots.

Quoted:
ben, i emailed your clevetown friend last night. lmk how things turn out.
View Quote

She really appreciated it. I will forward her email to me over to you. Something about Bob being a really nice guy... little does she know [;D]

Quoted:
Leave those blue shot thingys at home!  [:D]
View Quote

That's only for the campground. No blue kamakazis on the range.

[;D]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 7:38:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I try as often as possible.

I find that the best way is an OPEN HOUSE at my club.

I am hosting the third annual one at my club to show off our new ranges this September..

We are expecting hundreds again this year....many have NEVER fired a shot in their lives.

We have TV, RADIO and Newspapers come out.

The radio Stations bring out a van and do on site reports...

Its GREAT!!

Everyone should do as you have Ben...it is the ONLY way our sport can grow!!
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 7:47:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I have introduced four people tp the sport of shooting...

I always let them shoot the 12 gauge with slugs first so they won't complain about the kick of the others... .270, .223, 20 gauge, .22WMR .40S&W .22lr etc...

2 were girls (one very cute!), 2 best friends of mine. trying to get a third one but he has to spend time with his hot blonde,long-legged girlfriend. Can't Say that I blame Him!

I love it everytime, when I teach them to shoot.
If there were any money at it, I'd try to be an instructor...

-Chuck

Link Posted: 7/3/2002 7:55:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I try an take new shooters out all the time. It is great to see realize that "evil" rifles are a kick in the pants. They are all disapointed when they find out how much an AR is so most of the start out buying a shotgun.

OH BTW I start all of the newbies on a .22 regardless of their size age or gender. It helps to start them off with good habbits and keeps them from flinching later on.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 8:07:04 AM EDT
[#9]
BenDover: When you go to the range with your newbie friends, do you have some shooting buddies, why don't you have them go along to help out a little?
Yep, agreed, start them out on 22LR. A lot of folks may look down at the 22Lr, but I know a lot of people still have their 22LR pistol/rifle that they shot when they first started shooting, and still periodically shoot it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 8:31:53 AM EDT
[#10]
All my non-shooting friends know that there is always an open invitation to come to the range with me.  It seems I get at least one to go with me every time.

Keving67
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 9:47:33 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a tricked out Ruger 10/22 with a Butler Creek folder on it. That's usually what I would start them on. But the truth is, the AR is very newbie friendly with the recoil buffer. Most of them love it as soon as they squeeze off the first round.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 10:15:54 AM EDT
[#12]
BenDover: Well it seems you have things under control. Please let us know how things went. Have fun! Stay safe, and have a happy 4th.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top