BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2002 8:51:48 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 9:10:45 PM EDT
[#1]
C'mon! At least give us an abstract.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 9:21:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't visit registration to read sites.  piss off!  
Anyways, posting an abstract would be a good idea.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 9:37:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 9:40:53 PM EDT
[#4]
For verification, don't flash in Wally World. As long as a concealed weapon stays concealed, it is okay. Most managers won't ask you to leave, even if you do flash....

Scott

Link Posted: 7/2/2002 10:21:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Suppose you own a gun store and get a bad vibe about a customer, or cannot get a positive response on a background check.  My choice would be to decline to sell him the gun, for personal reasons as well as liability.

I guarantee you liability considerations are driving this.  As long as ignorant redneck juries in states like mine (Alabama) continue to award astronomical punitive damages against big companies, you will see this.  Companies will look at the risk for doing certain activities and decide it isn't worth it.  Wal-Mart has decided that the liability and PR risk in a Columbine situation traced back to a gun bought at a WM, even legally, is not worth it.  Eventually they will get out of the gun business.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 10:48:45 PM EDT
[#6]
People who shop at Walmart get what they deserve.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 10:52:27 PM EDT
[#7]
In AZ wall mart lost a law suit prohibiting carrying concealed or any other way in their stores.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 11:01:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Under federal law, if authorities cannot complete a criminal background check on a gun buyer within three business days, retailers are allowed to hand over the weapon even though the buyer's status is unclear.
View Quote

Many FFL's already do this.  I've never gotten an approval from NICS, so I've encountered this several times.  I finally found a dealer who will, so since then I've used them for my (few) purchases and recommended him to my friends.  It's good to see a dealer stand-up to the BATF, but when many (most?) small-time dealers won't sell a firearm under those conditions, I can understand why a potential large law-suit target wouldn't want to either.z
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 6:13:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Apparently this is thanks to our old friends from "Americans for Gun Safety", the "reasonable" gun control people!
[url]http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/PrintStory.pl?document_id=134486766&zsection_id=268448413&slug=guns03&date=20020703[/url]

Americans for Gun Safety, a moderate gun-control group in Washington, found in a recent study that over 2-1/2 years, 10,000 felons and others banned from owning a gun were able to purchase weapons because their background checks could not be completed in three days. A similar congressional study last month confirmed widespread cracks in the system.

In an April letter, Americans for Gun Safety appealed to Wal-Mart and other large retailers that sell firearms to adopt a "don't know, don't sell" policy that would go beyond federal law.

The Wal-Mart memo lays out the policy : If a store receives a "delayed" response from federal or state authorities who conduct the background checks on potential buyers, "do NOT transfer the firearms until you receive a proceed. To restate, you MUST have a 'proceed' (no matter how long it takes) before any firearm is transferred to a Customer."
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 6:20:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 6:58:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Why should guns be sold to individuals where the results of background checks aren't in hand?
How far off your meds do you have to be to oppose such a policy?
View Quote

I loved this statement.
View Quote

That was a pip wasnt it... How about cause of the 2nd Ammendment To The U.S. Constitution and even the President of the U.S.A. said the other day that [b] All of our rights come from God[/b] even the right to bear arms..and the right to self and family and neighbors defense...the right to own firearms is God given according to the Prez..should be good enough for even Nanny State ......Wall Mart imo and yes we need Tort Reform and..while you are at it..... the Trial Liars Associtation could also use some ..reform that is...
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 7:01:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Like 100 round value packs of 9mm for ten bucks.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 7:09:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 7:47:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Like 100 round value packs of 9mm for ten bucks.
View Quote

Yes Sir ,

I buy a couple every time I`m in there.
View Quote

I went to the local Walmart and inquired about ammo after hearing about this and they told me to bugger off. [:(]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 8:55:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Another reason I'm pleased I don't shop WalMart.
WalMart just plain sucks! Haven't been there in years, driving by one sickens me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top