Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2002 7:07:27 PM EDT
Some friends and I are travelling to Cincinnati on the 4th of July, and one expressed concern about wanting to be armed in the event of a terrorist attack. (Not concerned about an attack on us, but rather at the aftermath of an attack anywhere in the states).  My question is what do we have to do to legally take handguns with us.  I looked at packing.org and my interpretation is that we would be fine if the guns were unloaded and in a locked box.  Is this the case?  Any requrirements on the ammo and mags?  Any advise/help would be greatly appreciated.  I contacted the State Police about this, and have yet to recieve an answer.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 8:41:17 PM EDT
[#1]
JCR,

From what I understand, mags are considered part of the handgun - so having them loaded is a no-no.  I would keep the ammo separate from the gun.  Also, throw in a bag with some muffs, targets and other stuff.  Write down some names of local ranges and keep that with you as well to make everything look more legit.

Link Posted: 7/3/2002 9:44:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the advice-

Do you know if the ammo has to be locked up as well, or would having it in a bag suffice?
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 9:54:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Unless you are bringing an unloaded revolver or shotgun into the city limits, forget it. City of Cincinnati requires a registration on ALL semi automatic firearms. Even if you are registered, there's a 10 round mag cap. NO CCW under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

You are probably better off leaving your ordinance at home. Never fear, if you are in Cincinnati on Thursday and there is a terrorist attack, my guns are right across the border with family in N KY. Literally 2 minutes across the bridge.

FYI Tweet and I live right downtown.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 9:56:23 AM EDT
[#4]
In Illinois its legal to have loaded mags.They cannot be inserted into the firearm.I keep mine out of the same compartment as the rifle, handgun.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 10:10:01 AM EDT
[#5]
If you read the 1986 FOPA law and comply, you should be okay. Ohio is a pain in the rear which is why I left. Come to Free America. They don't ask, "Why did you shoot him?" They say, "Why didn't you shoot him more?"
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:51:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't want to carry the weapon- I just want to have it in my car incase something bad happens that day.  Is it legal to have an unloaded gun in a locked case in Cincinnati?
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 2:37:37 PM EDT
[#7]
[url]http://www.firearmslawcenter.org/content/ohlocalord.asp[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top