Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2002 5:52:07 PM EDT
I will be traveling to san antonio tomorrow and I will come from North I-10 and will take 1604 East to Stone Oak Parkway.  Should I expect any problems?
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 6:11:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Forecast says 11,000,000% humidity.  I-10 was closed just outside of 1604 much of the day.  It's supposed to start raining again around 7am (although we just started getting some REALLY impressive thunder & lightning again).  I'd say it's possible, but stay tuned to the radio (550AM) as you approach.  Or better yet, postpone if possible.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 6:14:31 PM EDT
[#2]
i remember the last flood ya'll had.  the real bad one where some people drowned in a underpass or somthing.  real shame.  and when alison came to houston that sucked for us! good luck out there
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 4:23:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I have driven in San Antonio during a moderate rain.  The water does not run off the freeways there.  It just kind of pools there.  I think they use it as a secondary water source to irrigate the crops.  They should rename it the I-10/I-35 reservoir.  I was passed by an old lady driving an airboat.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 11:00:58 AM EDT
[#4]
The problem isn't so much the water collecting on the interstates as it is the flood waters rising up to them.  This is the second 100-year flood in 4 years.  [:\]

Now Houston -- THERE's a place that knows floods!  About 12 years ago, I left my office near I-10 & Beltway 8 just as it started raining.  Made a half hour round trip and found the frontage roads at that intersection impassable.  There was about 8" of an 18-wheeler's exhaust pipe sticking out of the water.  The rest of the tractor was entirely submerged!!!  I found out that day that a Honda Accord can be driven in water up to the door handles (but no higher than the bottom of the windshield).  I didn't drive into it either.  The water came up around me on the surface streets.  But my trusty Honda got me home.  IIRC, there were over 4,000 cars destroyed that day.  I-10 was an underwater parking lot for miles.
[Edited for to be fixin' my badly grammar.]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top