Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2002 11:12:34 AM EDT
I am about to go from CA to GA with my girlfriend.My question is, will it be legal if I bring a pistol with me? I am aware that the laws are different in different states (I will be passing Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Arkaksas,  Louisiana, Mississippi, and maybe another state. Where can I find the laws about bringing a pistol in the car?
I'm thinking about bringing my HS2000.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 11:15:26 AM EDT
[#1]
In Texas, it is legal to have a weapon in the vehicle if you are 'travelling'.  

'travelling' is generally defined in this instance, as travelling from one point to another crossing at least 2 county lines.  

maybe packing.org has some info
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 11:23:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I am about to go from CA to GA with my girlfriend.My question is, will it be legal if I bring a pistol with me?
View Quote

If it is legal at the beginning and at the other end, federal law says you can BRING one, but you may not be able to keep it loaded and available during the trip. And packing.org is the best place to find out. Be aware that there are some interesting local oddities in laws, and they may not be fully discussed on the web site.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 4:47:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I am about to go from CA to GA with my girlfriend.My question is, will it be legal if I bring a pistol with me? I am aware that the laws are different in different states (I will be passing Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Arkaksas,  Louisiana, Mississippi, and maybe another state. Where can I find the laws about bringing a pistol in the car?
I'm thinking about bringing my HS2000.
View Quote

Try [url]http://www.packing.org/[/url]

You can definitely OPEN-carry in AZ and NM.  Not sure about the rest.

If you aren't interested in carrying, but just having it around, federal law says you can keep it in your car trunk, unloaded, with ammo in a separate case, when you're traveling interstate.  NJ, NY, IL, and MA are known for violating that law.

Generally, you can have a loaded gun in your hotel room for protection.  This obviously doesn't apply in states where you aren't allowed to have a handgun at all (NY, MA, IL) since you're a nonresident and hence don't have a permit to own one period.  Since you won't be traveling through those states, though. . . .
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 1:11:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
In Texas, it is legal to have a weapon in the vehicle if you are 'travelling'.  

'travelling' is generally defined in this instance, as travelling from one point to another crossing at least 2 county lines.  

maybe packing.org has some info
View Quote

WRONG: Travelling is not defined in the TX Penal Code as crossing any county lines.

You can have a gun at all times in your car, even pistols. If you want to conceal it on your person, then the definition of traveling applies, but they never define it, therefore I take it as the definition found in the English dictionary.

From the TX Penal Code:
46.02. Unlawful Carrying Weapons
46.15. Nonapplicability
  (b) Section 46.02 does not apply to a person who:
     (3) is traveling;

Nowhere in the TX Penal Code (Chapter 46) does it mention the actual definition of Traveling.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 1:19:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I wouldn't dream of taking a road trip without at least one pistol, regardless of any stupid laws.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 1:25:46 PM EDT
[#6]
trav·el   Pronunciation Key  (trvl)
v. trav·eled, or trav·elled trav·el·ing, or trav·el·ling trav·els or trav·els
v. intr.

To go from one place to another, as on a trip; journey.

To go from place to place as a salesperson or agent.

To be transmitted, as light or sound; move or pass.

To advance or proceed.

To go about in the company of a particular group; associate: travels in wealthy circles.

To move along a course, as in a groove.

To admit of being transported without loss of quality; Some wines travel poorly.

Informal. To move swiftly.

Basketball. To walk or run illegally while holding the ball.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 1:33:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you aren't interested in carrying, but just having it around, federal law says you can keep it in your car trunk, unloaded, with ammo in a separate case, when you're traveling interstate.  NJ, NY, IL, and MA are known for violating that law.
View Quote

NJ is in compliance with federal law.

[url]http://www.njsp.org/about/fire_trans.html[/url]

All firearms transported [b]through[/b] the State of New Jersey:

The following guidelines are provided in order to assist law enforcement officers in applying New Jersey’s firearms laws to persons who are transporting firearms through the State of New Jersey.

New Jersey laws governing firearms permits, purchaser identification cards, registration and licenses do not apply to a person who is transporting the firearm through this State if that person is transporting the firearm in a manner permitted by federal law, 18 U.S.C.A. 926A.

NY also has exceptions for pistol competitions.

Link Posted: 7/3/2002 1:33:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Checking out all of the states' gun laws is a good idea (packing.org is a good start, as others have mentioned). In general, the southern states - where you're traveling - mostly have good gun laws. As with most traveling with guns, watch your speed limits, and don't talk about it. Always good advice.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 1:43:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I would suggest bringing one of your low dollar guns just in case the state you are in confiscates it.
In AZ you can have a loaded gun in your vehicle if it is in a holster, scabbard or gun case you can also carry the weapon in a holster on your person as long as it is not concealed. If you get pulled over in AZ and since you are not from AZ the PO will more than likely unload your gun and run it to see if anything comes up on it, i.e. stolen, used in a crime. One last thing if you see a sign that says no guns allowed in a business window than leave it in the car or your stay in AZ will be a lot longer than you had planned.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 3:58:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

NJ is in compliance with federal law.

[url]http://www.njsp.org/about/fire_trans.html[/url]

All firearms transported [b]through[/b] the State of New Jersey:

The following guidelines are provided in order to assist law enforcement officers in applying New Jersey’s firearms laws to persons who are transporting firearms through the State of New Jersey.

New Jersey laws governing firearms permits, purchaser identification cards, registration and licenses do not apply to a person who is transporting the firearm through this State if that person is transporting the firearm in a manner permitted by federal law, 18 U.S.C.A. 926A.
View Quote

That and a firearm in your car, if you're pulled over in NJ while driving from (example) NY to MD, will net you one confiscated firearm and months or years of legal hassles courtesy of the NJ Bahnpolizei.

Just because they have a "guideline" doesn't mean the cops give a flying shit about it;  NJ has put the "storm" in "stormtroopers" for at least the last decade.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 4:12:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Drive with courtesy, put a couple stickers on windows like "Earth First" and an Apple computer sticker, keep your weapon 100% separate from registration/insurance papers etc...and you won't get hassled by the police.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 4:23:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
-SNIP-

View Quote

I can picture the defense attorney now:

Your Honor, my client admits to carrying the pistol concealed and without a permit - however, I must point out that not once was he ever dribbling.

Link Posted: 7/3/2002 5:30:05 PM EDT
[#13]
You'll be going through Alabama.  

A person may lawfully transport a firearm, including a handgun, from one state in which they are legal to possess to another state without a permit as required under Alabama law, provided the following conditions are met:

- The firearm is unloaded.

- Neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle.

- In case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment, the firearm and ammunition shall be in a locked container other than the glove box or console.

USPC40

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/line.gif[/img]
[url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url]
[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 3:33:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
-SNIP-

View Quote

I can picture the defense attorney now:

Your Honor, my client admits to carrying the pistol concealed and without a permit - however, I must point out that not once was he ever dribbling.

View Quote

Good one!

So shall he carry a basketball along with his pistol?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top