Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2012 5:39:01 PM EDT
My Dad had a Lowes contractor come out on Friday to put a bid in for 11 windows. Pella is the brand and they are replacements. Double pane glass and they're Vinyl windows.

I think the R rating was 3 on them.

$2800 was the rough estimate depending on changes on the bid.

The windows in the house now, Are original from 1948.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 5:46:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I didn't realize how nice double pane windows are until we moved

You'd almost want to keep that glass from 1948, but how

Link Posted: 2/18/2012 5:47:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Windows + Labor or just windows? Either way that's not bad. Great with the labor
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 5:50:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Windows + Labor or just windows? Either way that's not bad. Great with the labor

That's windows and labor.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 5:52:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm going through the process now as well.  Windows and siding.  My windows are only 36 years old though!

Lowe's is VERY high on windows, at least in this area.  I've been looking at vinyl new constructions windows.  Local lumberyards here are quite a bit cheaper.  If you have a Menards in your area, they are the most reasonable.

What type of windows (single-hung, double-hung, slider, etc.)?
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 5:53:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is damn cheap for 11 windows.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 5:54:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sign the contract quickly, after reading it of course.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 5:59:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sign the contract quickly, after reading it of course.

He will be back on Monday to go over the contract.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 6:09:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Just a little over $200 a window?  I don't have a window in my house that was that cheap 15 years ago!  Maybe my basement windows?
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 6:13:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep

Link Posted: 2/18/2012 6:17:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just a little over $200 a window?  I don't have a window in my house that was that cheap 15 years ago!  Maybe my basement windows?

I think he quoted $214 per window.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 6:51:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Not too bad.  I had 10 vinyl gas charged windows installed for right around that price back in 2k4 or 5.  They do make a heck of a difference on heating/cooling, and most noticeably on sound damping.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 6:59:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

My Dad had a Lowes contractor come out on Friday to put a bid in for 11 windows. Pella is the brand and they are replacements. Double pane glass and they're Vinyl windows.

$2800 was the rough estimate depending on changes on the bid.

The windows in the house now, Are original from 1948.

That ain't a bad price.

You won't believe the difference they'll make in terms of keeping the place cool/warm and bills will be much lower.

Link Posted: 2/18/2012 7:00:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pella ain't the best, but they ain't the worst either.

Link Posted: 2/18/2012 7:05:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

$214 per window –– including installation –– is way low.  you should get references, like 7 of them, for the contractor who is going to put the windows in.  make sure some of those references are for jobs he did 3 to 5 years ago.

seriously, it takes an hour, easily, to set and flash a window properly.  more if there are complications.  and even a decent double glazed casement window, 24x30, with no moving parts, is going to be more than $150.  

double, triple check what you are getting, who is doing the work, and what kind of work they do.  

also, read:
http://www.replacement-windows.com/windowbb/

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 2/18/2012 7:09:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Did he give you some references? Did you see an actual, complete window? Make sure you do your research.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 7:25:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

ps:

the "R rating" typically applied to insulation is generally not used with windows, because it is not specific enough.

windows are rated in four basic parameters:
–– U-factor
–– Solar Heat Gain Coefficient
–– Visible Transmittance
–– Air leakage.

these 4 parameters are *the most important* for comparing windows, and the testing is standardized so you can make apples-to-apples comparisons between window types and brands.  there will DEFINITELY be a sticker on the window with these 4 parameters.

here is a decent tutorial on these parameters:
www.wascowindows.com/Documents/U-factor.pdf

ar-jedi

sample labels:

Link Posted: 2/18/2012 7:56:43 PM EDT
[#17]
The quote sounds extremely low for windows and labor.

I live in a McHouse and not only do I have the shittiest double pane windows on the planet (I can stand outside and have a conversation with my gf in-side, at normal conversation voice), but whoever installed them did the shittiest job ever! You can pull the calk and there is open space around the windows, my calk cracks about every two years.

FWIW: My quote was about $5k for 10 windows... granted four fronts are REAL tall (8'+)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top