Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2012 7:56:25 PM EDT
Saw this driving home , was sure someone was dead

http://journalstar.com/news/local/fatal-accident-closes-u-s/article_3b7a542d-1268-5bfc-827d-a82e5d665bc3.html

happened right in front of me

state trooper was right next to me in the other lane and witnessed the whole thing too

I saw the guy coming started to slow and thought damn is this guy gonna stop?

Nope

car blew a stop sign coming off a gravel road went across a 4 lanes of a 65MPH hwy at 60MPH+ and slammed into a mini man full of people

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 8:08:45 PM EDT
[#1]
For whom the bell tolls.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 8:12:17 PM EDT
[#2]
When I worked nights and was driving home on the freeway one morning, I had a Porsche of some sort blow by me on the shoulder so fast that the draft pushed my car to the side.  This was near where the freeway ended and all the lanes merged into one and ended up at a stop light.  By the time I got to the light I saw a bunch of people running across the street from the bus stop to the right side of the road where there was the rear end of said car almost flat against a large oak tree.  I am pretty sure there were no survivors.  When I say almost flat, I mean cartoon flat like the entire car was squished accordion style.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 8:14:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Two adults and three kids in the SUV.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 8:17:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I've watched maybe 30 people die since becoming a police.
Pretty much all of them had it coming & I couldn't relate to them in anyway.
But...it's still very humbling to know one day you'll be the one doing the death rattle.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 8:19:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Man, that sucks.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 8:20:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Been by that intersection many times.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 8:22:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I mean cartoon flat like the entire car was squished accordion style.  
yeah I wasn't gonna go looking inside the cars don't need to see that ( been a little too much death in my life lately)
I stopped but the trooper had things handled and had seen the exact same thing I did so there was nothing I could tell him

was sick as shit so I would have been next to worthless anyway( that's why I was heading home at 3:00 )

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 8:22:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Some little hospital ER got busy quick.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 8:26:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
But...it's still very humbling to know one day you'll be the one doing the death rattle.

For sure.

I still have the image of a 12 year old getting hit by a Mercury Grand Marquis doing 45 burned into my minds eye. That was the worst one for me. Shotgun suicides, hangings, OD... None of that bothers me as much as watching that little boy die.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 8:30:24 PM EDT
[#10]
It does suck to witness someone's death.

At least in this case it wasn't an innocent person (as in, the one  who died was the one who was responsible)

I don't know if you can take much comfort in that but it's better to see a culprit die than to see a victim die.

That may be stronger than I intend but it's close.

Don't feel like wordsmithing just now.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 8:32:31 PM EDT
[#11]
How are you doing?
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 8:34:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

How are you doing?

Better

Ill be at work tomorrow for the insanity

as for the crash not really shook up more just a holy shit did that just happen? reaction

it was worlds scariest police chases worthy , not entirely sure but pretty sure the car went airborne when it crossed the hwy

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 8:41:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, working our little stretch of Interstate 80 (50 miles) I've ssen my share and then some. Glad I'm on another assigment for awhile.

Sorry you had to see that on the way home OP.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 8:42:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
How are you doing?

Better
Ill be at work tomorrow for the insanity

as for the crash not really shook up more just a holy shit did that just happen? reaction

it was worlds scariest police chases worthy , not entirely sure but pretty sure the car went airborne when it crossed the hwy

Ok, I'm glad you're ok.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 8:42:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

car blew a stop sign coming off a gravel road went across a 4 lanes of a 65MPH hwy at 60MPH+ and slammed into a mini man full of people

Damn those mini mans!
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 8:43:37 PM EDT
[#16]
I hate when events like that occur and it sinks in, If I were just a few minutes earlier that could have been me.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 8:44:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

try going to traffic, its not the same when a 4 year old girl gets tossed a hundred feet out a back window by same asshole drunk driver.  The rest of it, seen it all.  Stood right there in trauma as open heart, power drills through skulls, clamps on squirting arteries etc etc...
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 8:52:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

try going to traffic, its not the same when a 4 year old girl gets tossed a hundred feet out a back window by same asshole drunk driver.  The rest of it, seen it all.  Stood right there in trauma as open heart, power drills through skulls, clamps on squirting arteries etc etc...

I discussed this with my coworkers once. They all insisted they wouldn't be bothered by anything like that.

Me?
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 8:53:32 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yeah imagine some DRT drug dealing dirtbag is not real traumatic

ejected child

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 9:21:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Worked in EMS for 6 years saw all kinds of people die, now I work at a hospital see same thing. Doesn't really bother me anymore, did a t first, its just part of life you couldn't live if you didn't die.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 9:24:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

What do you mean, since becoming a police?
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 10:36:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you mean, since becoming a police?

I'm gonna go out on a crazy limb and guess that he became a member of the police force...
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 10:57:21 PM EDT
[#23]
The most interesting accident that I have been to involved a car trying to exit the highway while going much too fast.  The car spun sideways, hit a rail right at the driver's door, split in half from the bottom, flipped, and folded open, ejecting the contents.  The largest piece of the driver that I could find, and identify as human, was part of a foot.  Everything else was in little chunks.  I wasn't there when the accident unit arrived to take measurements, but I would guess that there were parts of her at least 100 yards down the highway.  This is not including parts that were dragged by passing cars (she was flung into the roadway).

I have actually seen very few accidents unfold in front of me, which seems sort of odd considering I spend around 9 hours on the road per day.  I have, though, responded to some really gory scenes.  Seeing the people die has never bothered me, as I have never had to get hands-on.  I don't know, however, that I would want to be in the position of the EMTs or trauma nurses.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top