Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/17/2012 11:39:46 AM EDT
When it is said by conservatives that Leftist Americans hate America?

Does the American left REALLY (truthfully) hate America?

Or do they just have a vastly different view about America in all aspects?

-Poll inbound!
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 11:41:13 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

-Poll inbound!

Their version of what American should be differs from what most of ours is.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 11:41:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Cultural differences
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 11:42:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:

-Poll inbound!

Their version of what American should be differs from what most of ours is.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 11:44:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Most do not IMO, they just have a skewed view of freedom.

Some actually think America is terrible and hate it, although I think these are the minority.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 11:45:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Some actually think America is terrible and hate it, although I think these are the minority.

There are even right wingers who hate America.  

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 11:45:43 AM EDT
[#6]
If they didn't hate America they wouldn't be leftists in the first place.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 11:48:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed, but my question is this- do those righ wingers who hate America do so because it is not "right" renough for them, or has it changed from what they would believe is historically "American" in nature?
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 11:48:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 11:49:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Cultural differences

How so?

Perhaps, not growing up with firearms for example?

Living in a city? (Even conservatives grow up and live in cities I am sure...)
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 11:49:46 AM EDT
[#10]
I just heard a leftie come right out and say it recently.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 11:49:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Minority in numbers like the 99%er protesting crowd?
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 11:50:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Many of them do hate what America stands for-Individual liberty, freedom of choice and the ability to succeed or fail without the government's meddling.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 11:50:19 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed, but my question is this- do those righ wingers who hate America do so because it is not "right" renough for them, or has it changed from what they would believe is historically "American" in nature?

Hard to say...both maybe. Some right wingers think that a state religion or laws based on religion are a-ok....so do they hate America or think that's the way it used to be? Some probably do hate what we have become.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 11:51:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Seriously?

Was an opinion given as to why that person hates America?

Had to be something, I have a hard time believing that blind hatred for ones country (especially since our standard of living is so good) exists.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 11:51:34 AM EDT
[#15]
One common explanation I've heard is "I don't hate America, but I love the idea of what it could be."

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 11:51:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Hate America?

I would not define most of the left as America haters.

I would define them as the Free Shit Army.

They don't hate America, but they ARE destroying America by giving it all away.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 11:52:07 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously?

Was an opinion given as to why that person hates America?

Had to be something, I have a hard time believing that blind hatred for ones country (especially since our standard of living is so good) exists.

'They used to put it on a bumper sticker when I was a kid..."America, love it or leave it!" well guess what, I DON'T love it and I DON'T HAVE to leave it!'

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 11:53:11 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Minority in numbers like the 99%er protesting crowd?

I don't hang out with any of those people, so I don't really know...just kind of guessing. From what I have seen, it does seem as if many people in that movement hate America.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 11:53:24 AM EDT
[#19]
They hate our vision of America.

I think they are misguided but have good intentions, but like the saying goes the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Most libs I know are young, dumb, and get all their news from the daily show.

I don't hate them, it just kind of makes me sick to my stomach
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 11:54:04 AM EDT
[#20]

A reminder ....

Quothe a certain hefty lefty per the election of 0, "For the first time in my life, I am proud of my country"
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 11:54:13 AM EDT
[#21]
I think some do, not all.

Some hate America because they view much of what America is and has been built on as bad.

Some just have a differing opinion.

There is probably some conservatives who hate America, but likely far far fewer. Its more a liberal thing.

And yes there is people out there that hate America, I've talked to people who pretty much admit it. The guy in particular isn't really political, doesn't care but would probably lean more conservative than not.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 11:54:14 AM EDT
[#22]
I think that most of them "hate" what America was, that includes the succesful aspects as well as the less savory portions. They don't understand and therefore do not trust the things that made America succesful so in that sense, yes they hate it.

They do understand the basic concept of freedoms, even individual freedoms but like many of any political stripe they fail to follow those beliefs to their logical conclusions and what it really means. It means not just your freedom to do things that others may find odious if harmless, but oother peoples freedom to do likewise. It also means that other people are free to bitch about it and this does not mean censorship or a denial of the right to do it.

I would say that in all, not only the leftists, but most of the country is Civically retarded or at least incredibly immature in their understanding of how things work.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is perhpas the most unhealthy state of affairs the republic will ever face.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 11:54:57 AM EDT
[#23]
They hate America. They are trying to create Amerika.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 11:56:55 AM EDT
[#24]
They want to live in America but they don't want to be capitalists.

They don't understand that America wouldn't be America if it wasn't for capitalism.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 11:58:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Why else would they pass a healthcare plan deliberately designed to crash the current healthcare system, and force us into a system that has never been shown to work well anywhere on the face of the earth?

Why else would they be devoted to constantly screwing employers with confiscatory taxes and incomprehensible regulations?

Why else would they loot some of the largest employers in the US through a kangaroo bankruptcy court, and hand the proceeds on a silver platter to their union cronies?

This isn't a matter of differences of opinion, or different means to the same end.  Nor is this a case of leaders being in over their heads.  Pelosi, Reid, and Obama aren't stupid... they're actively trying to tear down capitalism.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 11:58:28 AM EDT
[#26]
When ones "opinions" are consistently at odds with the founding principles of this nation, you can no longer claim to love this country IMO.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 11:59:39 AM EDT
[#27]
How many conservatives have you ever seen, read about, or heard about that burned the American flag?  Some far right types will fly it inverted because they are that worried about the path the country is heading down but burn it?  No.  I'd also guess that very few conservatives attend church where the preacher says, "God-damn America!" and means it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 11:59:52 AM EDT
[#28]
They have been inculcated that America is a den of evils:  slavery, capitalism, Christianity, sexism, racism, jingoism.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 12:01:23 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

They hate our vision of America.

I think they are misguided but have good intentions, but like the saying goes the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Most libs I know are young, dumb, and get all their news from the daily show.

I don't hate them, it just kind of makes me sick to my stomach

No, they hate America.

To them, America is a bunch of big talk about high morals like freedom, liberty and justice, but the reality of America is slavery, genocide, oppression and bigotry.

The look at Civil Rights and they see America having to get dragged kicking and screaming into accepting it's own found principles because we're all a bunch of racist hypocrites.

They look at Women's Suffrage and see America as a bunch old chauvinistic white men who were willing to beat and oppress women rather than let them vote.

The look at the Guilded Age and see the plight of the immigrant and the worker while the fat cats get richer and government gets corrupt.

The look at Reconstruction and they see a bunch of broken promises and system that failed because the Yankess and Rebels were both racists and no one thought it was worth it.

Every point in American history they look at America and see it as evil. The land of broken promises.

We're racists. We always have been and we always will be.

We're xenophobes. We always have been and we always will be.

We're imperialist warmongers. We always have been and we always will be.

It's not just our vision of America that they hate, it's America itself. America was evil from the very beginning and it's just as evil today.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 12:01:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 12:02:16 PM EDT
[#31]
I believe the main issue is that liberals have no concept of second and third order effects.  Their goals may be noble, but their plans rarely survive first contact with reality.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 12:05:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yeah, they think freedom grows on trees.

I didn't vote because I don't think they hate America, just our version of it. I feel sorry for them.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 12:06:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Truly committed leftists hate America because they hate republics and republicanism (and most republicans)  according to the left we should be struggling for an International not national state. Add to this the fact that America is a super power, has a high degree of religious participation, race issues, race/class issues and has been militarily successful and a true leftist should hate us.

IMHO most modern liberals are not leftists or progressives, they just dislike rightists and are largely ignorant of history.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 12:08:38 PM EDT
[#34]
How modern liberals think

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 12:09:28 PM EDT
[#35]
If you take "America" to mean freedom, then I would say, yes.

But, then again, many "conservatives" are only interested in freedom as long as it aligns with their religious views.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 12:13:14 PM EDT
[#36]
A picture is worth 1,000 words.

Tea Party Rally:

"Occupy" rally:

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 12:19:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 12:22:26 PM EDT
[#38]
I dont have to demonize the people that think differently than I do to justify my contrary view. Many on here seemingly do though. I cant fix stupid that thick.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 12:26:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Yes, they do. Either they hate America directly, or they hate everything it stands for, and thus hate the whole by extension.

For example, one time I had a Facebook argument with a liberal about the morality of using the bomb on Japan to end World War II. I went through every possible argument for and against it with him, and after about two hours of debating, actually got him to admit that "things are wrong because America does them, and thus America only does bad things." No joke, he actually said that.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 12:26:41 PM EDT
[#40]
From what I've seen the right does things to be conservative, the left does things to go against the right, not nessicarly because they think the things are right. Take gun control for example, lots of Dems vote anti-gun, then there's teh news stories of Congressmen, Senators, Governers,ect.. that have CCW permits and carry even though they vote anti-gun. They aren't truly anti-gun (some are) but they vote anti-gun to be "The voice of opposition to the right". It's like a teenage daughter, she'll rebel against everything you say just because you think it's right, so it makes her not want to do it. Democrats are just teenage drama queens rebelling against the status quo, nothing more.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 12:27:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

At least the Occupy rally has a person of color ....

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 12:28:53 PM EDT
[#42]

Obvious photoshop, you ..... you  ..... racist tea partier you ......
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 12:42:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
From what I've seen the right does things to be conservative, the left does things to go against the right, not nessicarly because they think the things are right. Take gun control for example, lots of Dems vote anti-gun, then there's teh news stories of Congressmen, Senators, Governers,ect.. that have CCW permits and carry even though they vote anti-gun. They aren't truly anti-gun (some are) but they vote anti-gun to be "The voice of opposition to the right". It's like a teenage daughter, she'll rebel against everything you say just because you think it's right, so it makes her not want to do it. Democrats are just teenage drama queens rebelling against the status quo, nothing more.

Except for that fact that they ARE the status quo and, with some brief periods in exception, have been for the majority of the past 50 years. I really don't see how you came to that conclusion. It seems far more obvious and more likely that they're quite simply hypocritical statists to me.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 12:44:05 PM EDT
[#44]
I would say they hate the conservative vision of America, but love their own vision of it.  There's a difference.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 12:46:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I would say they hate the conservative vision of America, but love their own vision of it.  There's a difference.

Interesting. I am making dinner but will chime in on this comment later.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 12:48:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
How modern liberals think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaE98w1KZ-c

I watched that a few years ago- more than once. It's an excellent insight into the mind of the lefty.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 12:51:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

At least the Occupy rally has a person of color ....

I went to one TEA party event. Our group included a gay couple, a Hispanic chick and an Asian guy. I also saw lots of people of different ethnicities there. It's not the 'lacking-diversity' crowd that the MSM tries to portray, at least not in my observation.

I was pissed that the venue posted a 30.06 sign specifically for this event, though.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 12:51:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Here's my simple test: do they believe in the Constitution, or do they think it should be changed, e.g. it should be a charter of positive "liberties" (what government must do for you), as The Chosen One is wont to say.

Liberals and progressives do not believe in the Constitution as it is, nor do they believe in individual freedom.  Thus, they hate America.  They do, however, love the idea of an Amerika.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 12:57:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
When ones "opinions" are consistently at odds with the founding principles of this nation, you can no longer claim to love this country IMO.

The fundamental founding principle of America as expressed in our DoI is that "Governments are instituted among men to secure their unalienable rights". That was the central point of the argument that we made about the nature of legitimate government and the illegitimacy of the one we were casting off, and the revolutionary idea that was and is America. Unfortunately we never codified our fundamental principles into law, and the courts have never recognized them.

I doubt more than 1/4 of the population in either party really takes that seriously, considers what it means in terms of the legitimate scope of government authority. Most Americans like to believe their own personal inclinations and interests on any given topic are in line with American principles and worthy of  the backing of force of law. Considering anyone who disagrees unamerican is a natural tendency reinforced by the fact that we do in fact govern by inclination, and a contrary political opinion can and often does pose a real danger to the very rights the government exists to protect.

There is plenty of room for disagreement in America on the nature of rights, and what force is necessary and sufficient to secure them, and we could have a very productive debate with most liberals on those topics, the democratic process is an excellent tool when kept in its proper boundaries.

Very few are willing to give up their pet tyrannies. It's not that many people of any persuasion hate America or the laughable "hate freedom", what's much more common is people who hate other Americans they perceive as a threat to their interests. We fear the very power we've delegated to government to secure our freedom in the hands of our fellows. We've set ourselves up for conflict by allowing the government to overstep it's proper role in society.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 1:38:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top