Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2012 5:41:09 AM EDT
Whoa, really looking forward to trying the new Mac OS X Mountain Lion on my 2008 Macbook.

Anyone downloaded it yet?
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 5:45:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Whoa, really looking forward to trying the new Mac OS X Mountain Lion on my 2008 Macbook.

the beta?  i'm not a dev, so i don't have access.  i think it offiially launches in summer
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 5:45:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I thought it wasn't going to be released until summer?

And can I skip a generation, ie jump from snow leopard to mountain lion?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 5:46:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Nope.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 5:47:26 AM EDT
[#4]
i wonder when they are finally gonig to run out of cats?
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 5:49:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
i wonder when they are finally gonig to run out of cats?

I don't know, but I might give Mac OS another look when they get to Sphynx:

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 5:50:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Nope. I haven't updated since I snagged an iPad
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 5:51:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It's not supported on your 2008 MacBook, is it?  

I'm not willing to pay a hundred bucks to get the preview, so I'll wait until it's officially released.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 5:52:23 AM EDT
[#8]
And my beautiful power pc G5 drifts closer to obsolesence.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 5:52:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Don't get me wrong, I like Apple computers, but

I'd be very leery of running the latest OS on dated hardware.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 5:53:58 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Yep. I've got a late '07 MB and I've stopped at Snow Leopard.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 5:55:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Not this silliness again.

If it's supported, it will run fine.

Be "leery" all you want, you still have no idea what you're talking about.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 5:56:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You too?  7 years as a Photoshop-rockin' machine, but there's just no new software for it and I'm stuck back with CS1.

Replacing mine soon-ish with an i5-2500K and Windows 7.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 5:57:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not this silliness again.

If it's supported, it will run fine.

Be "leery" all you want, you still have no idea what you're talking about.

Dude, I'm not dropping acid, I'm on ARFcom.

And, I know what I'm talking about, I've been running Apple computers at home and work since 2000.  Noew operating systems add molasses to old hardware performance.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 6:14:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm not willing to pay a hundred bucks to get the preview, so I'll wait until it's officially released.

Nah, Apple are awesome, they support their devices, unlike that crap from Micro$oft.

I'm sure it'll run fine on my Macbook, I've also got a early 2008 Air, so looking forward to trying it on that too.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 6:17:19 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm inching ever closer to buying a 15" MBP.

I just wish I knew when they new ones were coming out. I'm going to be a bit miffed if I buy it, only to find that I should have waited a month.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 6:17:54 AM EDT
[#16]
I saw the "everything from the iPad" blurb and thought oh no, they're fucking up OS X.  But from what I saw on Apple's site about it, it looks cool.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 6:54:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I just wish I knew when they new ones were coming out. I'm going to be a bit miffed if I buy it, only to find that I should have waited a month.

You are right to be concerned, the MBP pro is coming due for a rev.  But, on the bright side, the iPad 3 is due on March 7

MacRumors Link
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 6:58:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are right to be concerned, the MBP pro is coming due for a rev.  But, on the bright side, the iPad 3 is due on March 7

MacRumors Link

I got my 15" MBP at xmas because I started school in January.

If you can wait, wait. If you don't like the prices of the new stuff, the old stock should go down in price as well.

I had a deadline so I had to pull the trigger. 15" MBP 2.2ghz i7 4gb ram.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:17:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

MacRumors Link

I've got a good feeling about the iPad3, I think it'll bring the Ipad closer to the Mac line I'm hoping for full blown Mac OS on the iPad
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:24:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

MacRumors Link

I've got a good feeling about the iPad3, I think it'll bring the Ipad closer to the Mac line I'm hoping for full blown Mac OS on the iPad

They seem to be going the other way with them trying to put more iOS on OSX.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:25:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

MacRumors Link

I was hoping for OSX with the first iPad.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:26:42 AM EDT
[#22]
I can't even upgrade this Mac Mini to Lion, needs 2gb and I only have 1gb.

Eventually I will get a new Mac with mountain lion, but this one from 2008 or so still runs fine with Snow Leopard.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:33:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Every few days i get tempted again to purchase a Macbook.

The refurb previous gen MBs they have on their website seem to be an excellent choice.

Maybe?
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:35:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Eventually I will get a new Mac with mountain lion, but this one from 2008 or so still runs fine with Snow Leopard.

Must be user error, Apple will support your Mac.

Try taking it into them for a replacement.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:37:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

What model is it?
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:40:23 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What model is it?
1.83 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

1 gig ram

I tried downloading Lion again this morning, says it needs 2 gig and won't download.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:42:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

1 gig ram

I tried downloading Lion again this morning, says it needs 2 gig and won't download.

By "download," do you mean "install?"
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:43:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

What model is it?

1 gig ram

We have that exact model and upgraded the RAM to 2GB ourselves.  It's a bit of a pain opening the case, but doable.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:43:55 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

1 gig ram

By "download," do you mean "install?"
When I try to buy it in the App store.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:44:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

What model is it?

1 gig ram

Yeah, sounds like you are doing something wrong, if the OS is supported then it will work.

Best thing is to take it to a Apple store and ask for a replacement Mac.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:45:04 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What model is it?

1 gig ram

We have that exact model and upgraded the RAM to 2GB ourselves.  It's a bit of a pain opening the case, but doable.

I have done it before on an older Mac Mini. Just don't feel like messing with it on this one.

I will probably be getting a new one later this year sometime.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:46:17 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What model is it?

1 gig ram

Yeah, sounds like you are doing something wrong, if the OS is supported then it will work.

What are you talking about?

Lion needs more memory than I have installed.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:47:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

What model is it?

1 gig ram

I have done it before on an older Mac Mini. Just don't feel like messing with it on this one.

I will probably be getting a new one later this year sometime.

Cool, as long as you are sorted Bro.

You should look at the Air, it's so awesome. Or if it's just a media server you need think about an iPad.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:47:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

What model is it?

1 gig ram

RAM is cheap.  From what it sounds like, you have a mid 2007 or late 2006 mini, which should have two slots for DDR2-667 240-pin RAM.  Probably have two 512 MB sticks in there.  You can replace them with 2 1 gig sticks for 30 bucks.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:48:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

What model is it?

1 gig ram

What are you talking about?

Lion needs more memory than I have installed.

Nah Bro, it will work. Go and talk to them at the store if you are passing.

If you are having problems they will replace it, and sometimes you get the newer model. Defo worth it Bro.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:50:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

What model is it?

1 gig ram

RAM is cheap.  From what it sounds like, you have a mid 2007 or late 2006 mini, which should have two slots for DDR2-667 240-pin RAM.  Probably have two 512 MB sticks in there.  You can replace them with 2 1 gig sticks for 30 bucks.

Apple always uses the best available stuff, so I'd be very surprised if they used 2 512Mb sticks. They would of used a single 1Gb stick for you.

Don't buy it cheap on ebay, as the stuff there isn't as good as they stuff you buy from Apple. Always go to Apple to get any upgrades.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 8:10:29 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Apple always uses the best available stuff, so I'd be very surprised if they used 2 512Mb sticks. They would of used a single 1Gb stick for you.

Don't buy it cheap on ebay, as the stuff there isn't as good as they stuff you buy from Apple. Always go to Apple to get any upgrades.

Um...when I upgraded the memory on my buddy's 13" MBP, I noticed it came from the factory with plain old Samsung DDR3-1333. This is "premium" to you?

Buying 8GB of RAM from the Apple store is a whopping £320. That's fucking insane. They've got balls that clank when they walk, charging that much with a straight face.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 8:15:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Here is a link to the buyers guide.
They look at the release cycle, rummors, supply chain and other things to let you make a little more informed buy

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 8:17:07 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here is a link to the buyers guide.

They look at the release cycle, rummors, supply chain and other things to let you make a little more informed buy

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Yeah, it looks like it's mid-cycle. I really can't wait that long, honestly. I'd hold off it it looked like it was right around the corner, but it doesn't look like it is.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 8:21:35 AM EDT
[#40]
I've got 2gb of ram someplace that I replaced in my 15" MBP with 4gb....If someone were to want that 2gb I could try and find it and let it go for shipping...
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 8:45:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

What model is it?

1 gig ram

Don't be daft.  The mid 2007 mac mini shipped standard with 2x512.  The late 2006 mini shipped with 2x256 (which he might've upgraded on his order to 1g, but it is more likely that he has a mid-2007 model since he purchased his around 2008).  My G5 shipped with 2x256 - it, in fact, only supports dual-channel memory, so all RAM must be installed in pairs.

Buy it cheap on newegg, from any number of reputable manufacturers.  I recommend Corsair, but Crucial, G.Skill, and Kingston are also good.

ETA:

Source, before you try to tell me that I don't know what I am talking about.
http://support.apple.com/kb/SP7
http://support.apple.com/kb/SP29
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 9:37:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nah, Apple are awesome, they support their devices, unlike that crap from Micro$oft.

I'm sure it'll run fine on my Macbook, I've also got a early 2008 Air, so looking forward to trying it on that too.

It's hard to take a fanboy seriously.

I don't understand where you're coming from that MS doesn't support their devices.  I mean, it makes sense if you're just blatantly anti-MS because you're an Apple fanboy, but other than that I'm not seeing it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 9:42:18 AM EDT
[#43]
For the Others...

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 9:44:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Im waiting for Cougar..
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 9:47:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Info on planned obsolescence dates:

Ah, compatibility, she can be a cruel mistress, prone to leaving your favorite devices out in the cold and your wallet a few bills lighter. Apple's latest OS update, Mountain Lion, is no different. OS X 10.8 won't run on just any Mac, so, the question is, will it run on yours? Well, if you've got any machine from 2009 or newer the answer is yes. Older than that and things get a little bit shaky. iMacs are the most forgiving, with support starting on the mid-2007 models. Any Pro desktop from early 2008 on should be fine, while Xserves get cut off at early 2009 along with the Mac Mini. The original Air is already getting turned aside and you'll need a late 2008 model (or newer) for the update, while vanilla MacBooks are nearing total obsolescence as support starts with the aluminum models from 2008. Lastly, those of you rocking 15- or 17-inch MacBook Pros should be golden starting with late 2007 models. Oh, and any 13-inch Pro should be good to go.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 9:49:22 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's hard to take a fanboy seriously.

I don't understand where you're coming from that MS doesn't support their devices.  I mean, it makes sense if you're just blatantly anti-MS because you're an Apple fanboy, but other than that I'm not seeing it.

Trolls, don't feed them.

Besides, who knew Microsoft made computers?
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 11:46:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

OS9.2, FTW!
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 11:48:54 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OS9.2, FTW!

My 400Mhz Lombard laughs at your fancy OSX!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top