Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2012 6:21:44 PM EDT
He got 2 shots off, but he's 78.  Glad he wasn't killed.

http://www.10news.com/news/30468285/detail.html

One of the bandits confronted the 78-year-old former city councilman
about 9 that night, moments after the victim returned home from an
outing, police said.The intruder, who was armed with a gun,
immediately demanded cash from Mathis. The victim, who has a
concealed-firearm permit, responded by pulling his own pistol and firing
two shots at the robber, missing him. The two men then got into a
struggle over Mathis' gun, which the assailant eventually wrested away
and used to beat the victim over the head.

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:24:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

One of the bandits confronted the 78-year-old former city councilman about 9 that night, moments after the victim returned home from an outing, police said.The intruder, who was armed with a gun, immediately demanded cash from Mathis. The victim, who has a concealed-firearm permit, responded by pulling his own pistol and firing two shots at the robber, missing him. The two men then got into a struggle over Mathis' gun, which the assailant eventually wrested away and used to beat the victim over the head.

Perp just got lucky. It happens unfortunately.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:27:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Getting old sucks.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:27:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess he should have chosen to be a straight up victim rather than take responsibility for his own safety.  Should have relied on the police to protect him.  Silly old man, he should sell everything and give it away so he won't be a victim again, criminals only go after marks with money–– if he had nothing, the criminal will move on and molest someone else.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:29:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Unfortunately, CCW does not make a magic force-field around you. You better know what you're doing once you skin that smokewagon.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:34:10 PM EDT
[#5]
If you must draw your weapon...DON'T MISS.

If you can't get into a position where you are confident of getting shot placement without interference,  you might want to consider NOT drawing down.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:37:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Note to myself:  Spend more time at the range with my CCW gun.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:42:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Try a wilderness area where you can draw in random directions and just start shooting (after looking of course). A range is too linear to really prepare for this kind of situation.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:00:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Unfortunately, CCW does not make a magic force-field around you. You better know what you're doing once you skin that smokewagon.
Why have I been carrying this heavy ass gun around.

Shooting and hitting things makes all the difference in the world, when your life can depend on it.

Lucky guy.

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:05:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try a wilderness area where you can draw in random directions and just start shooting (after looking of course). A range is too linear to really prepare for this kind of situation.

Nailed it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:12:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

One of the bandits confronted the 78-year-old former city councilman about 9 that night, moments after the victim returned home from an outing, police said.The intruder, who was armed with a gun, immediately demanded cash from Mathis. The victim, who has a concealed-firearm permit, responded by pulling his own pistol and firing two shots at the robber, missing him. The two men then got into a struggle over Mathis' gun, which the assailant eventually wrested away and used to beat the victim over the head.

Perp just got lucky. It happens unfortunately.

Actually, it's pretty easy to take a pistol away from someone. If a badguy grabs your gun, then he has the advantage as far as leverage goes. That is why you shoot from retention at close range and create distance as quickly as possible.

You should also assume that the bad guy is more experienced than you are, less nervous than you are and isn't afraid of getting shot.

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:23:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I guess he should have chosen to be a straight up victim rather than take responsibility for his own safety.  Should have relied on the police to protect him.  Silly old man, he should sell everything and give it away so he won't be a victim again, criminals only go after marks with money–– if he had nothing, the criminal will move on and molest someone else.

So bottom line is he should be disarmed because he is old?  That's fucked up.  If he would have popped the assholes he would have been a hero, but instead he is a feeble old man that should depend on the cops for protection?
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:34:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So bottom line is he should be disarmed because he is old?  That's fucked up.  If he would have popped the assholes he would have been a hero, but instead he is a feeble old man that should depend on the cops for protection?

No, the bottum line is he thought he was prepared simply because he met the minimum requirements for a CCW permit and happened to own a gun. He is not alone in that respect.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:50:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Not sure what you are trying to say...  I did not and was not bashing him.  It was unfortunate that this happened and I'm glad he wasn't killed.  Lesson to be learned:  You will almost never control a situation where you are attacked and 2).  Practice for all scenarios.  

What happened to this elderly gentleman could have happened to anyone.  Now go practice.

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:53:32 PM EDT
[#14]
For those of you who don't know who Rex Applegate was, he was involved in hand to hand combat training for OSS agents in World War II, among other things.

He passed on in 1998, at the age of 84.

Very late in his life (within the final few years of it, IIRC), Applegate was accosted by a young thug (it may have actually been two, but I don't remember) who tried to mug him.

The thug picked the wrong guy to try that on.

Applegate put the son of a bitch in the hospital.

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:56:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, the bottum line is he thought he was prepared simply because he met the minimum requirements for a CCW permit and happened to own a gun. He is not alone in that respect.

I don't know about you, but most 78 year olds that I know, even those with military/LE/recreational shooting backgrounds don't practice weapon retention skills daily. They come from a time where basic trigger discipline wasn't even taught. And even those who do know about weapon retention usually don't do Krav Maga every day so that in that off chance that they do get mugged by someone who does, they can defend themselves. Give the guy a break. He acknowledged the benefits of carrying a gun, he attempted to defend himself, but he was probably too feeble to stop the BG from just taking it when he missed.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:59:38 PM EDT
[#16]
It happens.. hes older and missed unfortunately. even police have been known to be disarmed which is why they train in weapon retention alot more nowadays.

Glad he wasnt hurt and its a lesson to be as fit as possable and train to not only hit your mark but be able to keep your weapon for a second shot if you dont.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 8:05:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Met LTC Applegate @ the NRA convention in Dallas, and knowing his reputation, I wouldn't have tried to take him then, even in my 20's.  A great old man.

Gig 'em,

backbencher
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top