Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2001 6:44:05 PM EDT
Bad news for the Buffalo Range in Illinois:

Thanks to your friendly neighborhood government agency – EPA – the Buffalo Range in Illinois will be closed for most of this year.
Let’s give them as much support as possible by coming on the days that they are open. Otherwise, we might find them out of business and we will be without a great range.

For more information you can reach the Buffalo Range at:
815-433-2471 or [email protected]

Thanks heaven, May 27 will be one of the few days on which the range will be open.
So we all can be there for the AR15.com meeting.

FRIZ
Link Posted: 4/2/2001 6:46:12 PM EDT
[#1]
What's the "reason" for being closed? Lead or noise?
Link Posted: 4/2/2001 7:41:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I work for an environmental consulting firm so I may have an idea why its being closed  The state and federal regulatory agencies (DNR/EPA) have taken an interest in firing ranges.  They are primarily concerned with metals in the soil and groundwater.  Ingesting lead or for that matter any metal in your drinking water is just not good.   We have written several proposals for cleaning up police and DOD ranges.  I can see this becoming a big issue for the regulators.
Link Posted: 4/2/2001 7:54:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Jim Beam:
The state and federal regulatory agencies (DNR/EPA) have taken an interest in firing ranges...   I can see this becoming a big issue for the regulators.
View Quote

I can see it becoming a big issue for commies in the regulating agencies that want to help impose the gun free state upon us. I don't buy lead being a problem on firing ranges. I see it as a back door assault on our rights.
Link Posted: 4/2/2001 8:05:49 PM EDT
[#4]
This is total F**KING BS!  Like Critter said this is nothing more than a backdoor assault.  These alphabet agencies need to be reigned in and the making up of rules as they go has got to stop! [:(!]
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 5:37:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 6:14:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Our local range-which has been there for about 50 years is under attack from the people who decided to move right next door.  A greedy land owner sold the surrounding land to a developer who piled the houses right on top of each other right across the dirt road from the range.  Now all the people are complaining of the noise.  BULLSH*T!
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 7:52:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I dont see it as an assult on our rights so much as a way for the regulators to justify their exsistence.  They seem to find one site with a problem and then go looking for other similar sites.  I know they have made Winchester do several clean-ups including dredging sediments from a large bay to recover metals and they are hot and heavy on the DOD and local Police Depts.  Generally, the Federal EPA doesn't get involved, its usually the State agencies.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 9:17:29 AM EDT
[#8]
According to c-rock they are not actually concerned with the range itself but the old dump behind it.  Closing the range while the work is going on is a safety precaution.  If this is the case I apologize for my previous rant.
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 9:26:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Our local range-which has been there for about 50 years is under attack from the people who decided to move right next door.  A greedy land owner sold the surrounding land to a developer who piled the houses right on top of each other right across the dirt road from the range.  Now all the people are complaining of the noise.  BULLSH*T!
View Quote

Are you talking about Bristol?  
c-rock
[url]www.illinois-shooter.org
If noise is the problem, let law-abiding citizens put mufflers on their weapons!! Bastards.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top