Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/16/2012 6:10:59 AM EDT
I hate going to jury duty, today wasn't so bad, and has kind of changed my mind on jury duty itself.

It was supposed to start at 9, but of course with the wheeling and dealing going on, it didn't. But, I sat on the "good looking women row" so it wasn't that bad.

9:20 The Judge comes in and says that he's got some good, great, and even greater news. He then goes on to say what a good turnout for jury duty, and how they usually have half of what was there this morning. Then he said he had a little 2 min sermon/speech for us, "just because I can." He said that the case was settled, no jury duty today. He then went on to say that "While jury duty is mandatory, and I threatened you with jail time if you didn't show up, we are only asking you to come in for a few hours, and give the defendant his or her Constitutional right to a fair trial. it's not like we're asking you to go to Afghanistan to do it. So, next time you hear someone complain about jury duty, and their excuses to get out of it; you think about some of the sacrifices some of them(referring to soldiers, marines, airmen, ect in theater) are making, and compare that to the little inconvenience of jury duty. I know if one of them(referring to soldiers, marines, airmen, ect) were sitting in this chair(points to defendants chair), they would want their Constitutional right to a fair trial with fair people." He said to "set them straight."  He then went on to say that since we showed up, we are exempt from jury duty for the calendar year, and that I will get a whopping $14 check for my time.

I thought he was pretty cool. Usually, just the clerk of court comes in and tells everyone they can go, no trial today. But the Judge came in and introduced himself and thanked everyone for showing up, did his 2 min speech and then held the door and shook everyone's hand when they left.

So I got to see some nice eye candy, hear a Judge give a good little speech, got paid 14 bucks, and got a paid day off from work. Not too bad.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:17:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know about your place of employment, but mine requires me to sign the jury duty check over to them in order to get paid for my work day.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:20:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I hate jury duty, but I always go.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:24:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I don't know about your place of employment, but mine requires me to sign the jury duty check over to them in order to get paid for my work day.

Mine's like that too, but I get the entire rest of the day off paid. Last week I was there till noon, nice little half day on a Friday
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:27:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Nope, not UPS. I'm sure The Teamsters had something to do with it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:29:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I've been told I had to go 3 times, and always told they didn't need me.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:29:23 AM EDT
[#6]
did you get laid?
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:32:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
did you get laid?

Sadly, no. I gave a few chickie snacks the , but they didn't respond.

Too bad too, because there was a staircase nearby that no one was using, and I brought rubbers, ya know, just in case...
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:32:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Did the "judge" mention jury nullification? Because without it, no one is getting their  "Constitutional right to a fair trial."
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:33:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Your work really cares about a $14 or less check.....

Mine have always only asked for summons or have the clerk sign some form....
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:33:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Last time I went, the judge said consider the $25 gas money. Company doesn't want it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:35:02 AM EDT
[#11]
I've never been called.

What am I doing something right/wrong?
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:35:19 AM EDT
[#12]
I was supposed to go to jury duty a couple of weeks ago and completely forget until 2-3 days later(this is why they make calenders).  I actually wanted to go too even though I would have missed work.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:35:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I have never heard of such a thing.    My employer lets us keep the check and supplements the amount to equal a days pay.

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:35:39 AM EDT
[#14]
I had to pass on an out of state job with a new employer a few months ago because of jury duty.

The prosecutor came into court at about 9:05 and told us that the case had been pled out and we could go home.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:35:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've never been called.

How old are you?  Are you a lawyer or are you related to one?
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:36:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Which is probably a more than fair trade for you.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:37:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Did the "judge" mention jury nullification? Because without it, no one is getting their  "Constitutional right to a fair trial."

Yeah. There's a pamphlet about it, right next to the illegitimate gold-fringed admiralty flag.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:37:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've never been called.

No idea. I've been called 2-3x a year since I was 18 and registered to vote.

Never been chosen to be on a jury.

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:38:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah. There's a pamphlet about it, right next to the illegitimate gold-fringed admiralty flag.

There was the gold-fringed flag!

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:39:07 AM EDT
[#20]
$14 Dollars!  Damn, I only got a check for $6 and parking was $4.  Then they kept us their all day and lunch in the courthouse mess hall (which was actually pretty good) was another $6
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:42:01 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have never heard of such a thing.    My employer lets us keep the check and supplements the amount to equal a days pay.

K. Not just me. Is that even legal to take the check?

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:42:04 AM EDT
[#22]
I get called now and then.

On the last case, I was accepted, even after indicating I had a CPL.

The case involved a guy in possession without a license and I was accepted as a juror.

Without getting into all the details, we acquitted him in about 15 minutes.

They were charging him with a fucking FELONY!!
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:43:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Judges need votes at election time. Most will gladly "talk to the voters" at every opportunity.....From what you are saying, it WAS a good speech though.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:46:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've never been called.

Me either.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:49:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've never been called.

How old are you?  Are you a lawyer or are you related to one?

I'm related to the district attorney but I still get called about every two years.  I've even been selected to serve twice when the assistant DA was prosecuting the case.  The defense attorney realized who I was after jury selection and came up to me after the trial and said if he'd realized who I was that he would have had me dismissed during selection.  It worked out for him and his client though.  It can be a minor inconvenience but I don't mind serving.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:51:25 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm 42, been registered since I was 18 and have never been called. I'd like to do it just to get out of work and do something different for a change but they won't call me.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:52:16 AM EDT
[#27]
To me there is something not quite right about telling a group of people "Thank you for showing up, but if you hadn't, your ass would be in jail by now."

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:52:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I hate jury duty, but I always go.

Oddly enough, I've always wanted to be on a jury but never get called.

Nice speech by the judge though.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:53:00 AM EDT
[#29]
All but one time that I have had jury duty, the prerecorded message dismissed all jurors scheduled to show up that day. The other time I showed up like the OP and waited around until they told us that we were not needed as a plea deal was reached or something. I took the rest of the day off.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:55:30 AM EDT
[#30]
I was called once when I was in college.   Since then not once, even though my mom gets called every 6 months or so.  I think my case may have to do with regularly getting absentee ballot smailed to various parts of the world, so when I am home the local court system doesn't know about it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:57:54 AM EDT
[#31]
I like jury duty it is something different for me and I still get my regular pay.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:01:45 AM EDT
[#32]
i served on a jury in houston.... was called a month after i got my drivers license moved from MS to TX.  

child molester molested his neice.  only got three years
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:06:53 AM EDT
[#33]
I was the jury foreman for a murder trial, Huntsville, AL, Sept. 2009.  We found him guilty and he was sentenced to 20 years.  I see now that he's in for Life with Parole Possible.  When we convicted him, the detective came into the jury room and told us that this guy had killed his first victim at 16 and they had been trying to get him for over 10 years (he was in his mid-30's then) and we had done a great service by finding him guilty.  So they must have got him for something else or he killed another person while in prison.

AL Dept of Corrections
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:15:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Been registered to vote for 43 years and been called for duty 1 time.  

––IS
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:24:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was the gold-fringed flag!

Some of the court rooms around here have them. I keep hoping and waiting for the day when I'm in court and some Dale Gribble-looking "sovereign citizen" goes on a tirade about how he doesn't recognize the authoritay of this court because it's flying an admiralty flag, and then gets stuffed in the holding block.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:27:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your work really cares about a $14 or less check.....

Mine have always only asked for summons or have the clerk sign some form....

Former employer asked for the check.  He handed it back after looking at it.  He had an issue with some employees turning in a summons and then taking time off of work and blowing off jury duty.  The check was more proof that they showed up for it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:32:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Damn, my county won't even start the clock until you've been there for 2 days. No check for 99% of the people who show up.

My work is good about it though, I just have to mention Jury duty, no need to prove anything to anyone.

ETA, make that 3 days and it's State law

Florida Law sets juror compensation. If an individual continues to
receive regular wages while serving as a juror, then the State will not
compensate that person for the first three days of jury service.
If an
individual is unemployed, self-employed or someone who does not receive
regular wages from the employer, then that person would be entitled to
$15 per day (flat rate with no separate amount for mileage) for the
first 3 days of service. Furthermore, any juror who serves beyond 3 days
will receive $30 per day for the 4th day and any additional days.
Approximately 10 days after completion of your jury service, a check
will be mailed to you.

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:37:48 AM EDT
[#38]
I have a letter of dismissal from a Federal Grand Jury that I will bring with me if I ever get called again (they said I shouldn't).  I can't imagine why they found me unfit to serve

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:50:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Is that even legal?  Mine just calls the court to make sure you were really called.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 8:15:03 AM EDT
[#40]
I knew a CWO3 that got called for Jury Duty. He was stationed at his home of record so that didn't work to get out of jury duty.

Colonel wrote a glowing letter to the judge saying how the Warrent Officer was indispensable to the unit. Judge read the letter and called the Colonel and said:

BOOM! Your WO just stepped on a mine. Charlie Mike Colonel.

Seems the judge had gone to school on the GI bill.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 8:21:49 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I knew a CWO3 that got called for Jury Duty. He was stationed at his home of record so that didn't work to get out of jury duty.

Colonel wrote a glowing letter to the judge saying how the Warrent Officer was indispensable to the unit. Judge read the letter and called the Colonel and said:

*snicker* Gotta love the sense of humor

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 8:48:05 AM EDT
[#42]
I've been called in 3 times for jury duty but was never picked.  First time they already picked the jury before they even got to me.  The other 2 times the case was delayed or settled out of court.

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 9:00:10 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

i served on a jury in houston.... was called a month after i got my drivers license moved from MS to TX.

child molester molested his neice. only got three years

You did better than me, my turn at jury duty ended in a hung jury.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 9:01:07 AM EDT
[#44]
I actually wanted to go the one and only time I've been called, but was in Memphis the day I was supposed to be there.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 9:04:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Can I get a translation?
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 9:43:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can I get a translation?

1. Warrant officer tries to get out of jury duty by having his "boss" write a letter to the judge about how he's irreplaceable.

2. Judge turns out to be prior service.

3. Judge replies to the boss and says - "You warrant officer just stepped on a mine. What's your plan now?"
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 9:44:55 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can I get a translation?

1. Warrant officer tries to get out of jury duty by having his "boss" write a letter to the judge about how he's irreplaceable.

2. Judge turns out to be prior service.

3. Judge replies to the boss and says - "You warrant officer just stepped on a mine. What's your plan now?"

4. Profit!!

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 9:46:16 AM EDT
[#48]
I have never been called for jury duty, yet.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 9:50:24 AM EDT
[#49]
I remember showing up for jury duty in a Manhattan court.  The guy who ran the room was kind of funny.  Just a smartass life time New Yorker.  He said if we thought jury duty was a waste of time, we should tell that to the judge and that he'd be happy to explain basic civics to us.

He also said that we were the only thing that stood between justice and chaos.  Also he got on the loud speaker and told someone on their cell phone to get out.

Also told us to please not get drunk at lunch.  Thought it odd but then I guess a lot of folks do that for jury duty because they see it as a free day off.

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 9:53:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Also told us to please not get drunk at lunch.  Thought it odd but then I guess a lot of folks do that for jury duty because they see it as a free day off.

I never thought about that. I am now saddened by the notion that I am exempt from jury service.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top