Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2012 1:16:26 PM EDT
Ok, Looking at get the wife a tablet. Don't want to drop no more than $250-$300....
She was looking at the Nook color...so, would like these options

*Book reader/download
*GPS
*Internet/WiFi
*Pandora or similar
*Email
*Video play
*Camera and or Vid. record

Go....!
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:22:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Wait for iPad 3 to be released, then watch the prices drop on old models and Android tablets, too.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:27:53 PM EDT
[#2]
The wife really likes her kindle. It can surf, email,ebooks,etc. I am not sure about GPS, since it is wifi only.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:29:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Is she geekish? What I mean is when people I know ask your question, I reply with, does it need to be simple?
If so I recommend the I pad. I personally like the droids of all flavors, but I bought the wife an I pad. We are in our 50's and she's not good with simple things like email maintaince, cleaning up her computer from cookies, etc. so that's why I got her the I pad. I set it up at the beginning and she really likes it.
 Do some research for the features you want and go from there.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:29:48 PM EDT
[#4]
spend a $100 more and get a toshiba thrive I have one and its great.... even has an hdmi out so I can hook it to the tv and watch movies that i've downloaded on it.

with has a kindle fire only downfall to that is no camera....
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:30:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Got an Asus Transformer (not Prime) right before xmas. Have not been disappointed in the least. And I'm on my 2nd or 3rd iPhone.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:31:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Wait for iPad 3 to be released, then watch the prices drop on old models and Android tablets, too.

Yep.

Wait until March and pick up an Ipad 2 when they discount them.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:33:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Another vote for used iPad 2 or a refurb after march 7th...I'll be sellin mine to fund an iPad 3
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:36:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
spend a $100 more and get a toshiba thrive I have one and its great.... even has an hdmi out so I can hook it to the tv and watch movies that i've downloaded on it.

Not only does it have a usb, and hdmi , but more importantly the battery is removable so it dosent need to be sent out for service.
Like the others

Got one , and love it
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:37:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Current iPad WiFi only models do not have GPS.  

Most WiFi only Android tablets DO have GPS.  I had an Asus Transformer until recently (decided an ultrabook laptop fits what I want a little better), and it was great!  When/if prices come down later in the year, I may pick up another one, even if only to use as an ebook reader.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:39:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Samsung Galaxy...

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:47:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.  

Wait until March and pick up an Ipad 2 when they discount them.

This is the answer.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:49:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

this, or just buy the iPad 3...I am a buy once cry once guy

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 3:56:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

this, or just buy the iPad 3...I am a buy once cry once guy

Thats probably the best option. The best time to buy an iPad is right @ release. You know you'll have a great product, and you'll get the most for your money.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:06:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

My bro got a refurb Thrive for $260,its great. I'm on a Touch Pad right now that was dirt cheap and not bad for the money but the Toshiba is way better.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:08:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Most WiFi only Android tablets DO have GPS. I had an Asus Transformer until recently (decided an ultrabook laptop fits what I want a little better), and it was great! When/if prices come down later in the year, I may pick up another one, even if only to use as an ebook reader.

Does that mean the 3G iPads don't have true GPS?

Will I know I'm in the middle of no where if I don't have a cell signal?
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:11:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Most WiFi only Android tablets DO have GPS. I had an Asus Transformer until recently (decided an ultrabook laptop fits what I want a little better), and it was great! When/if prices come down later in the year, I may pick up another one, even if only to use as an ebook reader.

Does that mean the 3G iPads don't have true GPS?

Will I know I'm in the middle of no where if I don't have a cell signal?

3G do, Wifi don't.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:13:54 PM EDT
[#17]
IF she already uses a Blackberry try a Playbook. If she doesn't I would look somewhere else.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:16:47 PM EDT
[#18]
you can get a refurbished iPad 2 for $420

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC769LL/A

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:59:05 PM EDT
[#19]

The Asus Memo 370T Tegra 3 powered 7"  @ $249.00 will be hard to beat later this year.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:04:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Samsung Galaxy...

10.1"
Man, I'm on it all the time, like now

Love it!
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:10:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Ok, Looking at get the wife a tablet. Don't want to drop no more than $250-$300....
She was looking at the Nook color...so, would like these options

*Book reader/download
*GPS
*Internet/WiFi
*Pandora or similar
*Email
*Video play
*Camera and or Vid. record

Go....!

Not Amazon Kindle Fire, no camera or GPS.  
Does Nook have a camera?

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:14:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Those will be $50-100 less than that when the iPad 3 is announced on the 7th.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:25:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Here is a new one for $429 http://www.meijer.com/s/apple-ipad-2-with-wi-fi-16gb/_/R-201847

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 8:05:52 PM EDT
[#24]
I think I saw an Acer Iconia on clearance at an Office Depot for something like $249. I love mine. It's the only one I've seen that has a real USB port on it that you can plug a thumb drive or external hard disk into.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 8:43:40 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My bro got a refurb Thrive for $260,its great. I'm on a Touch Pad right now that was dirt cheap and not bad for the money but the Toshiba is way better.

I'll put in my $.02 here in agreement with the above posters.

I got my 32GB 10" Thrive (there is also a 7" version) in December of last year, from Costco.com; even though brick-and-mortar retailers (read: BestBuy and MicroCenter) had them for within $5 of the same price, buying from Costco doubles the warranty to 2 years.

Nvidia Tegra 2 dual-core processor and Android 3.2, has full-size and mini-USB ports, as well as the already mentioned HDMI, AND it has the SD card slot for storage expansion, or downloading pics from your digital camera.

Speaking of cameras, Thrive has two, back and forward-facing.

I found the RooCase for it on eBay (Amazon linky), which provides real protection if you want to take it along, but also lets you remove the bulky part for hand-held use. AND it has Bluetooth, so my headphones pair right up and I can listen without plugging in a cord.

It has been trouble-free, and I absolutely LOVE it!

Is it the thinnest/lightest 10" tablet around? No, that distinction goes to the Samsung, I believe. However, in the real world, soon as you attach a case/jacket/skin for protection, those metrics go bye-bye anyhow.

Also, a quick look online leads me to believe you can have one from someplace other than Costco now for a good amount LESS than I paid.

Food for thought.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 8:48:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The Asus Memo 370T Tegra 3 powered 7"  @ $249.00 will be hard to beat later this year.

That.  Two fiddy with a Tegra 3 will be tits.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 8:49:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I think I saw an Acer Iconia on clearance at an Office Depot for something like $249. I love mine. It's the only one I've seen that has a real USB port on it that you can plug a thumb drive or external hard disk into.

I bought one a few months ago.. Rooted it and it's now running ICS. I love this device!

Working MicroSD card slot, full sized USB port, Micro USB port, HDMI output.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 4:34:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Lol, you guys are overwhelming with this too  

Ok, the wife said she didn't want a full function deal, she said if that were the case, she would get a laptop. She wants something along the lines of the Nook.
So that narrows my choices down to Kindle, Nook or other within that price range.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 4:38:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Samsung Galaxy...

10.1"
Man, I'm on it all the time, like now

Love it!

Me too although it won't play all videos

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 4:41:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here is a new one for $429 http://www.meijer.com/s/apple-ipad-2-with-wi-fi-16gb/_/R-201847

You can get a NEW Samsung Galaxy 10.1 with a case at Costco for $429 and gets Costco's enhanced warranty.

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 4:49:36 AM EDT
[#31]
+1 on the toshiba. Best android tablet for the money.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 4:59:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
+1 on the toshiba. Best android tablet for the money.

this is the WOOT deal of the day today for around 350!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 5:10:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not only does it have a usb, and hdmi , but more importantly the battery is removable so it dosent need to be sent out for service.
Like the others

Got one , and love it

Another thrive owner here. I agree with the others they are great tablets. My nefew got an ipad2 for Christmas and said he would get rid of it and buy the thive if it wasn't a gift from his g'mother.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top