Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2002 6:52:01 PM EDT
I have two USGI M17A3 gas masks. I bought two sets of un-used filters that were vacumed sealed in foil. The dates they were made was in 1986. You guys think they are still good? I looked in the USMC NBC survival handbook and it doesnt give any shelf life for these filters.The filters are good as new and never have been out of their seald packages.
What are your thoughts? I burned a bunch of smokey paper and two bannana peels and held my head over the smoke. Without the gas mask with filters I could not breath and statred choking,with the masks on and new filters I could breath with ease.
What are your thoughts? Should these filters work in a NBC enviro?
THANKS!!
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 6:53:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Someone posted on here last week sometime that the shelf life is not over 3 years.

Ben
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 6:55:40 PM EDT
[#2]
could you smell bananas?
if not, i would think they were o.k.
personally, i think the shelf lives are on the conservative side, after all, it's mostly charcoal, just keep 'em sealed.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 7:04:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Someone posted on here last week sometime that the shelf life is not over 3 years.

Ben
View Quote

Yea I read that post too.Only thing is,the link that they got that info off of was trying to sell 300 dollar masks and basically said all other masks and filters out there are totally useless.....just makes me feel like they are trying to sell a little too hard.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 7:10:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Hmmm,  ask some of the military folks around here, they will probably know for sure

Ben
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 7:34:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Do you know somthing the rest of us dont? Please share.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 7:42:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 8:26:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Do you know somthing the rest of us dont? Please share.
View Quote

Who are you directing your question to?
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 8:36:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 8:45:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Now that they're out of thier seals they're garbage much sooner.

If you've got a gas mask that has filters from 1986 you're asking me to remember far too far back.

I have the current issue Navy mask - MCU-2 and it's filters come in a can and have the instruction "do not open this can unitl ready to use the canister"

Let me see if there's something on my web site to help. [url]http://home.earthlink.net/~paul1960/[/url] Nope, the gasmask is part of DC PQS ...

So off the top of my head the current MCU-2 filters are good for one month of protection against chemical and biological attacks - or one use of a blood agent. A month seems like a long time to be sucking air though the thing eh?

View Quote

Yea the MCU-2 is a great mask! Its really hard for civilains like myself to get ahold of one at a decent price,do you know of any sources that I could get one for a good price? Im really big into NBC protection(I have always been,even beofore this 9/11 hysteria)
With the M17A3 mask you have to have the filters in the mask before an attack,they are the internal cheek type of filters. the maks is pretty new it was made in 91 I think and it is in mint condition. I just hope the filters will wotk as good as new.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:09:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 10:30:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Doublefeed,
Promask? Im guessing they meant Protection mask? Nah Im NOT going to rob anything hehe! What masks did you use when you were in the Army?How long ago?
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 11:37:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 8:12:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The filters are color coded on the rings. IIRC the green rings are training and gold rings are combat, it's been a while so I may be off.
View Quote

Thats strange becuase the USMC NBC warfare handbook says that for the M17 Mask Black rings are for practice and Green rings are for NBC protection.I just replaced both of the masks with the green kind,so I hope all me bases are covered.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 5:43:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thats strange becuase the USMC NBC warfare handbook says that for the M17 Mask Black rings are for practice and Green rings are for NBC protection.I just replaced both of the masks with the green kind,so I hope all me bases are covered.
View Quote

That is correct.

The following is from a USMIL filter checklist dated 5/02.

8. M13A2 FILTER ELEMENT, NSN: 4240-00-165-5026, END ITEM: M17 SERIES

MASKS.

8.A. SERVICEABLE LOTS: --------------------- MSA 4-1 THRU MSA 4-181 31

DEC 2001 MSA 5-1 THRU MSA 5-7 31 DEC 2001 MSA 6-1 THRU MSA 6-18 31 DEC 2001

MSA 7-1 THRU MSA 7-41 31 DEC 2001 MSA 8-1 THRU END OF MSA 8 SERIES

INDEFINITE MSA91C009-001 THRU MSA92J009-075 INDEFINITE

8.B. UNSERVICEABLE LOTS: ALL M13A2 FILTER ELEMENT LOTS NOT LISTED IN PARA

8.A."

There ya go. Their words, not mine.

Personally I only have one MCU, and they ARE cost prohibitive. I too use the M17's for work, car, etc to "get me to my MCU". I use the codes listed above, and the seviceable ones according to this list are widely available. I change the ones in my masks out every year. Spare rubber filter valves (5 different ones per mask) are harder to find and are a very desireable item to have. Careful inspection and Fitting and a good facial seal are imperative to mask useage.

[b]IF YOU DO NOT SERVICE, FIT AND CHECK YOUR MASK, IT IS USELESS AND YOUR BEST BET IS TO GO OUTSIDE AND BREATH DEEPLY UNTIL THE THREAT DISAPPEARS.[/b]

Any info can be found in the manual. YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 5:48:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Cavvet,
Thanks for the info!
So how long do you think I can keep the M17 filters in the mask if they are not being used? Does the manual that you have say they are only good IN the mask for one year without use?
Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 5:56:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Now that they're out of thier seals they're garbage much sooner.

If you've got a gas mask that has filters from 1986 you're asking me to remember far too far back.

I have the current issue Navy mask - MCU-2 and it's filters come in a can and have the instruction "do not open this can unitl ready to use the canister"

Let me see if there's something on my web site to help. [url]http://home.earthlink.net/~paul1960/[/url] Nope, the gasmask is part of DC PQS ...

So off the top of my head the current MCU-2 filters are good for one month of protection against chemical and biological attacks - or one use of a blood agent. A month seems like a long time to be sucking air though the thing eh?

View Quote

Yea the MCU-2 is a great mask! Its really hard for civilains like myself to get ahold of one at a decent price,do you know of any sources that I could get one for a good price? Im really big into NBC protection(I have always been,even beofore this 9/11 hysteria)
With the M17A3 mask you have to have the filters in the mask before an attack,they are the internal cheek type of filters. the maks is pretty new it was made in 91 I think and it is in mint condition. I just hope the filters will wotk as good as new.
View Quote

Funny you should ask. I just so happen to have a new mask, (MCU-2P) size M, with GI storage container, one opened filter (new), and one sealed one for $125 shipped. Let me know of this is out of line. [email protected]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 5:57:55 PM EDT
[#17]
I have never seen a "timeframe". I believe we rotated filters (active duty/forward area) every 6 months. I do not have requisitions, so its a yr for now. Post 9/11, I may now back that up just a little.

I trust my not used filters for the period I leave them in. I just make sure to keep my car, truck or home close enough where I think I can get to my mask. I have my Potassium Iodate pills in the carrier. My M-17s are ONLY to get me to my MCU, they are not bugout material.

Link Posted: 7/2/2002 7:16:04 PM EDT
[#18]
If you plan on using a M17 series mask for NBC type events you need to install the Green Ring filters. Cartridge degradation depends on factors such as  chemical and enviromental exposure.  The last of the M17 filters were made circa 1991 so your getting close to the projected expiration dates .  

The biggest enemy to respirator filter function and longevity is exposure to moisture so make sure your mask is dry and sealed in an air tight carry case if the filters are installed.

Quality Military grade Respirators from Scott and MSA can be had in the $125-200 range from places such as Brenton Safety, Botach etc....... You'd be better off spending the money on new better fitting equipment rather than using outdated M17 masks.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 7:16:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have never seen a "timeframe". I believe we rotated filters (active duty/forward area) every 6 months. I do not have requisitions, so its a yr for now. Post 9/11, I may now back that up just a little.

I trust my not used filters for the period I leave them in. I just make sure to keep my car, truck or home close enough where I think I can get to my mask. I have my Potassium Iodate pills in the carrier. My M-17s are ONLY to get me to my MCU, they are not bugout material.

View Quote

Yea,
I need to get a better damn mask. I also have two bio and chem detecters and a box of decontamination packets,i just need a good mask now........
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 7:19:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Tondog,
Thanks for the offer and no I dont think it was out of line. just maybe the price a little too high hehe.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 10:43:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, you just wasted part of your filter's life by passing smoke from the paper and banana peel.  Also, you shouldn't have opened them up from the air tight seal they were in.  

Now the shelf life will really creep up on those filters and they will "expire" sooner than you hoped for.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 10:53:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Well, you just wasted part of your filter's life by passing smoke from the paper and banana peel.  Also, you shouldn't have opened them up from the air tight seal they were in.  

Now the shelf life will really creep up on those filters and they will "expire" sooner than you hoped for.
View Quote

1) Testing is needed to insure the masks reliability.

2) The M17 does not have the luxury of keeping the filters sealed until needed, as it requires 3 men, a boy, 2 days and half the special forces to change filters.

3) After further review, As you were. TM 3-4240-279-10 Sec 3-2, PMCS is to be performed Weekly* "Under Combat Conditions", and Filters to be replaced IF abnormal, wetted, crushed or damaged.

* Every 6 months under peacetime conditions or after each exercise or training mission.

I need to read my TM's a little more closely!  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top