Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2012 5:07:10 AM EDT
Desperate measures by the US and Europe like this underscore the seriousness of Israel's threat to attack Iran.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/02/15/us-europe-eye-risky-unprecedented-penalty-for-iran-over-pursuit-nuclear-weapons/

WASHINGTON –  The United States and Europe are considering unprecedented punishment against Iran that could immediately cripple the country's financial lifeline. But it's an extreme option in the banking world that would come with its own costs.

The Obama administration wants Iran evicted from SWIFT, an independent financial clearinghouse that is crucial to the country's overseas oil sales. That would leapfrog the current slow-pressure campaign of sanctions aimed at persuading Iran to drop what the U.S. and its allies contend is a drive toward developing and building nuclear weapons. It also perhaps would buy time for the U.S. to persuade Israel not to launch a pre-emptive military strike on Iran this spring.

The last-resort financial effort suggests the U.S. and Europe are grasping for ways to show immediate results because economic sanctions have so far failed to force Iran back to nuclear talks.

But such a penalty could send oil prices soaring when many of the world's economies are still frail. It also could hurt ordinary Iranians and undercut the reputation of SWIFT, a banking hub used by virtually every nation and corporation around the world. The organization's full name is the Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunications.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:17:42 AM EDT
[#1]
All of this to protect the dollar as the currency for oil...
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:19:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Correct. This is also pissing directly into the Chinese, Indian, and Russian cheerios.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:19:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm generally pretty hawkish, but the US and Europe are really pushing Iran to go full retard.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:20:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It will force the iranians to create another - the russians and chinese desire this as well.  Unintended consequences  here we come.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:21:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct. This is also pissing directly into the Chinese, Indian, and Russian cheerios.

Whether unintended by incompetent politicians or intended by pols who think they can control the situation this is one more thing to push us closer to a war with Iran and push Russia and China to take their side.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:23:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Relax... oblama's got this.

He's a professional.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:29:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whether unintended by incompetent politicians or intended by pols who think they can control the situation this is one more thing to push us closer to a war with Iran and push Russia and China to take their side.

Yep. This is actually quite serious maneuvering. I'm be surprised if it goes through.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:33:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm generally pretty hawkish, but the US and Europe are really pushing Iran to go full retard.

What's the other option? Israel WILL NOT permit them to have nukes. They either knock that shit off or get attacked.

If they do test a  nuke,there will be Pakistani warheads installed on Saudi missiles within hours rather than days. The Saudis funded the Paki nuke program and have had Chinese missiles that could lift them since the late 80's. Sunni and Shiites in a nuclear arms race is the very definition of going full retard.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:52:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's the other option? Israel WILL NOT permit them to have nukes. They either knock that shit off or get attacked.

If they do test a  nuke,there will be Pakistani warheads installed on Saudi missiles within hours rather than days. The Saudis funded the Paki nuke program and have had Chinese missiles that could lift them since the late 80's. Sunni and Shiites in a nuclear arms race is the very definition of going full retard.

No doubt, it's a screwed up situation no matter the choices... Hell man, the whole ME is the definition of full retard.

FWIW: People are drastically over estimating Israel's ability to stop Iran, short of them nuking possible sites, whatever they do will just be a pin prick.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 6:43:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No doubt, it's a screwed up situation no matter the choices... Hell man, the whole ME is the definition of full retard.

FWIW: People are drastically over estimating Israel's ability to stop Iran, short of them nuking possible sites, whatever they do will just be a pin prick.

I doubt that the US or the Israelis can decisively stop Iran's nuclear program with conventional air attacks, sabatoge and assassinations only serve to delay it, and I don't think that the American public much less the global population would approve of pre-emptive nuclear strikes on another country. Even if the US possessed the national will, America's military with all it's current obligations doesn't seem capable of invading and occupying a nation of some 78 million people.

Someone needs to clue Israel, heck most of the American right in to reality. I keep seeing these politicians and authors alluding to some military option when talking about Iran...well what is it? If I'm missing something then I'd really like to know. As I see it "big brother" is broke, war weary and won't be able to stomp Iran and keep them from getting a seat at the table. Everyone might as well prepare for that instead of working to alienate them along with India, China and Russia.

Anyway, here is a relevant article from a few days ago:

India continuing to purchase Iranian oil
Iran is also a factor in the uncertain endgame in Afghanistan. K.C. Singh, a former Indian ambassador in Tehran, said India and Iran cooperated to support the anti-Taliban Northern Alliance before the fall of the Taliban in 2001. But that relationship cooled as US troops settled in Afghanistan, and India and the United States moved closer together. Now, though, Singh said India was "scampering to recover" its relationship with Iran as a hedge to prepare for an uncertain future in Afghanistan.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 7:19:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Sheet-O-Glass diplomacy fixes radicals pretty well.  Sucks for the rest who have to clean up the mess though.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 7:31:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct. This is also ******* directly into the Chinese, Indian, and Russian cheerios.

And handing Soros' Petrobras lots of $$$$$.   Obama: the best investment Soros ever made.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 7:33:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meanwhile, in other news, the Obama administration is proposing to reduce Amerika's nuclear arsenal by 80%.    Manchurian Candidate anyone?
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 7:38:01 AM EDT
[#14]
What does China buy Iranian oil with?

I'd imagine China could use as much Iranian oil as possible.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top