Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/1/2002 6:21:34 PM EDT
Does any one have any first hand knowledge of these rifles or know of any where that I can read articles or info about them besides their own companies websites? I am looking for an all around tack driving AR from 100m to 1000m.

http://www.lesbaer.com/ar223.html  (the top one)

http://www.shooterstore.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=90&Product_ID=5286&CATID=493

http://www.colt.com/colt/html/a2g1_coltaccrifle.html
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 6:50:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have any links on the rifles that you asked about, but I can say that you will pay more than you have to with either Colt or Les Baer.  While there is lots of discussion about who makes the best accurate AR, most will agree that DPMS, Armalite and Bushmaster offer a quality product for a reasonable price.

Also, if you want to shoot to 1000 yards, .223 isn't a good choice, and you will gain maybe 100 fps of velocity by going from a 20" to a 24" barrel.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 7:06:46 PM EDT
[#2]
The Ultimate Tack Driver for Ar's (non competition) right now is the Bushmaster Varmiter , People have been reporting 1/4"-1/2" groups at 100 yards with decent Ammo...

Anyways some key things to look for are a solid fit between upper and lower...
Free floating barrel
two stage trigger
etc.. All these things help some aspect of accuracy..

But the AR is pretty much useless outside of 500 meters... However if you purchase a Bushmaster DCM you can load 80 Sierra's and probably be good to go past 500 meters. Talk to the shooters in the Accurate AR sig.

Just hang hang on the Firearm discussion, read the Ar15 FAQ, the AMMO Faq and by the time you get to the bottoms of these you will have a fairly good understanding of what you exactly are looking for.

Disgustipated is right, generally you get 100feet per second for each 4 inches on barrel length, but there is a Maximum lenth in the barrel where you no longer gain any velocity and I think it is around 22 inches or so.

Just read read read..

Ben
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 7:13:00 PM EDT
[#3]
If you're looking for a tack driver have a gunsmith build you one.  Look in the FAQs in the Competition and Accurate AR Forum.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 7:23:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I would recomend that you read [i]The Competitive AR15[/i] by Glenn Zydiker. It will answer most of your questions about tightening up the AR. Spicific advice I cannot give you without knowing a entire scope of what you want to do with this rifle. If you do plan to shoot Service Rifle, you should obtain the rules from the CMP at [url]www.odcmp.com[/url].

My basic recomendations would be:

Service Rfle: Your choice of AR (I would go with Bushmaster, Colt, DPMS, or Armlight) with a 20" Wilson, Kreiger, or Oberhausen barrel (1 in 8 twist). The trigger could be left stock, that is largely a personal decision, go with what you are comortable with. Float the forend, nothing you do will have as much affect on your accuracy as a float tube will.

Match rifle: I do not know as much abouit match shooting, but the rules are much more lax than Service Rifle. I would look into a 24" barrel with your choice of sights. I would also float the barrel. That will get you started in the right direction.

You can shoot 1000yd with an AR. A friend of mine shot his DCM legal (20" barrel) at Perry last week and scored 187 out of 200 using 80gr shells. The rifle is capable of making long shots.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 7:56:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I have also read Glen Zedikers book, and if you want to shoot at a distance, its a must. Especially if you handload.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top