User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/14/2012 6:56:58 PM EDT
My fucking head just exploded.

Fuck me running.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 6:57:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you see the protester try to rush the stage?
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 6:58:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Goverment cover up...

Link Posted: 2/14/2012 6:59:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Only breeds I dislike more are Jack Russel's and those damn yappy things from Mexico.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 7:00:55 PM EDT
[#4]
GSD -1

Dalmatian -2

Pinscher Bitch -3

Wait til next year..... a fucking Pekingese, wow. What ever.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 7:01:01 PM EDT
[#5]
wat
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 7:01:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep, been watching for both nights it was on. A fucking long haired rat looking POS? FUCK YOU WESTMINSTER
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 7:02:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow hold on a second time out guys.

People actually care about this?
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 7:03:05 PM EDT
[#8]
You're right. it is bullshit.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 7:03:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

What? You don't like Dags?

Link Posted: 2/14/2012 7:04:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Dog shows are serious business, its like Child pageants except the adults live through their animals.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 7:04:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/14/2012 7:05:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/14/2012 7:08:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Dog shows are serious business, its like Child pageants except the adults live through their animals.

That made me laugh.

Link Posted: 2/14/2012 7:14:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't care for Pekingese myself.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 7:20:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Did you see the protester try to rush the stage?

im sure there is cell phone video. i want to see it
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 7:23:34 PM EDT
[#16]

Can't decide which is uglier.....a pekingnese or the first lady.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 7:25:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What? You don't like Dags?

Sure, I like other peoples dogs. I'm not home enough to have a dog without feeling bad all the time.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 7:26:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Never understood this show. You have it broken down by classes, which include working breeds......yet almost none of those dogs could work.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 7:28:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Never understood this show. You have it broken down by classes, which include working breeds......yet almost none of those dogs could work.

The current and past 3 dogs my mom owned were very large "working" breeds. They sure as hell never did any work .
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 7:31:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

<––- bingo.  See history of the Irish Setter if there was any doubt.

Who the hell in their right mind would breed a dog because it "looks like it can do the job it was bred to do"
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 7:35:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

AKC breeding standards have pushed working out of the working breeds.

Everyone wants a handsome GSD, Rottie, Boxer, or Dobie, but no one wants a dog that will rip a mother fuckers leg off for breaking in your house

Personally I want the show working breeds to hold working titles.

The best breeding stock for Boxers should be SchH3 with no hip issue, and good ears for cropping. But try finding a Boxer that's got good drive for bite work now, its damn sad. They are there but you got to go to Europe to get one and you can get screwed then end up with a junk dog.

If I hit the lottery I'm going to start a working Boxer kennel and give those mother fuckers out to PD's and Sheriffs Departments. I would put working Boxers back on the map.

Link Posted: 2/14/2012 7:38:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Dog "shows" held independently from working trials have been the death knell for the working and sporting breeds in the USA.  Sadly, from what I hear the show circuit is killing the breeds in Europe too.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 7:42:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Dog "shows" held independently from working trials have been the death knell for the working and sporting breeds in the USA.  Sadly, from what I hear the show circuit is killing the breeds in Europe too.

If the dogs don't have working titles they shouldn't meet the breed standard IMHO.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 7:44:06 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

yeah who the fuck cares all those show dogs are ugly as hell anyways.

Link Posted: 2/14/2012 7:44:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the dogs don't have working titles they shouldn't meet the breed standard IMHO.

I agree 100%.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 7:48:50 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree 100%.

Same here. I went to a dog show recently and the Neapolitan Mastiffs were rolling over on their backs left and right. Beautiful, but not the line I want a dog from. The person I'm looking to get a pup from actively works their dogs in protection type pursuits.

Link Posted: 2/14/2012 7:50:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for the spoiler, <CoC violation removed>.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 7:50:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Its turned into that.

It is supposed to be far far more utilitarian. Like a livestock show. Dog shows are about having a gold standard for a breed.

The show dogs are supposed to meet every aspect of what that breed is. A GSD should be able to herd and do protection work. A Boxer should be able to do protection work and be a catch dog. The hounds should be able to track. Sled dogs pull.

Now its about looks, all show and no go. Its sad.

Link Posted: 2/14/2012 7:53:13 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm partial to big mutts myself, but Pekes are cool little critters, assuming you give 'em a haircut and don't treat them like prissy dolls. They'll roll around in dirt, eat snow, and stick their head out the window of a moving truck, just like any other breed.

They open up around people they're comfortable with. They're like live action cartoons, funny as hell. I've never been in the presence of another animal that was so entertaining. I can't really explain it.

My Aunt had two, but one passed away last year. I miss the little bastard.

Link Posted: 2/14/2012 8:04:49 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

It's a dog "show".  Do you expect Miss USA contestants to do 500 meter freestyle in swim suit competition?

Link Posted: 2/14/2012 8:15:05 PM EDT
[#31]
That is such bull shit! That fucking mutt didn't even deserve to make it past the breed championships.
The AKC has gone full retard. There will be riots. The streets will run red with blood. It's fo time.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 8:21:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Just another sign that China owns America
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 8:27:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My sister has a 90+lb black lab that can't be shown, because he doesn't meet conformation...never mind he holds a HRCH title and is an incredible gun dog.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 8:34:19 PM EDT
[#34]

Link Posted: 2/14/2012 8:35:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 8:40:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 8:41:46 PM EDT
[#37]
One of the best movies on this subject ( documentary if you will) is Best in Show. I highly recommend it
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 8:45:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
One of the best movies on this subject ( documentary if you will) is Best in Show. I highly recommend it

I've seen it unfortunately.

I can't believe those people
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 8:52:45 PM EDT
[#39]
The Leonberger was robbed.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 8:53:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a dog "show".  Do you expect Miss USA contestants to do 500 meter freestyle in swim suit competition?

A dog show isn't Miss USA, its more like the pre WWII eugenics displays at state fairs.

Its about animal husbandry, not appearance.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 8:55:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My sister has a 90+lb black lab that can't be shown, because he doesn't meet conformation...never mind he holds a HRCH title and is an incredible gun dog.

That sucks.

The blame goes far and wide. People want a "pet" with an apperance but don't want the whole package. People get a dog with drive then they wonder why the hell there dog is always chasing ducks in the pond. Hes a bird dog, go teach him to retreive from the water. He will be happier and you would get exercise. But no, they dumb down the dogs till they are like stuffed animals.

Link Posted: 2/14/2012 9:00:18 PM EDT
[#42]
That's racist.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 12:12:29 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To be an appropriate breeding prospect the dog should exhibit BOTH the proper conformation and the ability to do the work the breed was created for. This is where dog shows have failed miserably- the focus is on conformation only. Some breed clubs have working standards and there are all sorts of working titles a dog with he correct temperament can earn, but proof of working ability is totally irrelevant in an AKC type dog show.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 12:23:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sucks.

The blame goes far and wide. People want a "pet" with an apperance but don't want the whole package. People get a dog with drive then they wonder why the hell there dog is always chasing ducks in the pond. Hes a bird dog, go teach him to retreive from the water. He will be happier and you would get exercise. But no, they dumb down the dogs till they are like stuffed animals.

Yup. The various breeds all had a purpose when they were originally created. We Americans are awesome at a lot of things, but we totally suck when it comes to understanding dog breeds and preserving the various breed traits.

It never ceases to amaze me when folks think a particular dog is 'bad' when it bites people, or chases things, or fights, or is constantly run-run-runing around, when the dog is supposed to do whatever it is that they are complaining about.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 12:42:03 AM EDT
[#45]
My dog is a Pekingese. Great dog but they are genetically unstable. One of his eye pop out and we couldn't save it. Almost gave everybody an heart attack when it happen.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 12:46:52 AM EDT
[#46]

Not impressed in the least. I don't even watch that class, herders and workers is good stuff though.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 2:16:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Watch the movie "Best in Show". It will tell you all you need to know about the dog show biz.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 3:05:12 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

My 'working' beagle hard at work.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:20:16 AM EDT
[#49]
best in show was a movie,
real people don't act like that...

oh wait

Update: Stewart's dog also probably had the most expensive pre-show meal. Below, he and Stewart dining at the Plaza on Sunday.  Note the excellent table manners — and Martha's are okay, too. Even if Ghengis hadn't taken the prize, he would have been the fanciest dog at the show.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:21:57 AM EDT
[#50]
who the fuck watches dog shows....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top