Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/1/2002 2:49:45 PM EDT

[url=http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/phil_taylor/news/2002/07/01/hot_button/]Europeans prove that Caucasian players can flourish[/url]

...let's face it, white kids are subliminally given the message that they have almost as little chance of becoming the MVP of the NBA as a black kid has of becoming president.

When it comes to basketball, Caucasian kids are subject to the same kinds of lowered expectations that plague too many African-American children in other areas.

A survey a few years ago by the Center for the Study of Sport in Society at Northeastern University discovered that nearly 70 percent of African-American kids believed they someday would play in the NBA, a proportion almost double that of Caucasian kids.

That's largely because white kids get the message early on that they are inferior players, that, generally speaking, they'll eventually fall behind their black counterparts.

It's not unlike African-American children, especially the ones from the inner city, who get direct and indirect hints that they're not expected to be able to keep up academically with Caucasian children. Tell a kid, any kid, something often enough, and eventually he will begin to believe it.

But the white Europeans coming into the NBA haven't had stereotypes thrown in their faces from the time they were learning to dribble.
Stojakovic didn't grow up being picked last in pickup games because the other players assumed his skin color meant he was probably a stiff.

No one told Nowitzki that 7-foot white players aren't supposed to be nasty enough to slash down the lane and "posterize" people with vicious dunks.

Kukoc never heard that because he's Caucasian, he couldn't have the flair and creativity to deliver passes from behind his back and between his legs.

There is no law that says the NBA has to be dominated by African-American players. If the racial makeup of the league changes significantly, maybe a few of those black kids who were dreaming of wearing an NBA uniform someday will be more likely to recognize the folly of banking on a one-in-10-million shot. Once that happens, they might discover that there are other dreams that are just as worth having.
View Quote

I just found this an interesting viewpoint.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 2:59:14 PM EDT
[#1]
i totally agree.
i live in detroit, and i WILL NOT raise children here.
the only whit people i see are trying to be black or mentally defective or are forced to live here due to residency restriction.
DPD and the DFD just lifted their residency restrictions and whit people are leaving the city in droves.
this place disgusts me, you are supposed to be ashamed to be white here.

and YES i AM a racist, THANKS for noticing.[:)]
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 3:07:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Fine with me.

I would like my kids to grow up and do something useful with their lives anyway.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 3:08:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Perhaps the White kids are more pragmatic, which is almost always a good thing.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 3:14:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Just another example of the man keeping a brother down. Sheeet.

Link Posted: 7/1/2002 3:15:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Btw, on a similar note. Have you seen that commercial for either gum or some kind of pop, where the two "cool" black dudes trip up that gang of bycicle riders? Talk about racist.

Link Posted: 7/1/2002 3:16:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

A survey a few years ago by the Center for the Study of Sport in Society at Northeastern University discovered that nearly 70 percent of African-American kids believed they someday would play in the NBA, a proportion almost double that of Caucasian kids.

View Quote

Sounds like 70% of African-American kids are seriously deluded.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 5:29:01 PM EDT
[#7]
TV commercials are very biased. White men, if present at all, are portrayed as idiots, bunglers, mental inferiors to the black people in it. They are always deferring to them, and seeking their advice. It looks to me like 80% of this country is black, if the folks in the commercials are any indication. The same holds true with films.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 6:02:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Did you ever think maybe 80 percent of the viewing audience is minority?
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 6:06:49 PM EDT
[#9]
80% of your typical rent to own customer base is black, as is most of your chicken purchaser base (Col Sanders became KFC for a reason) as is most of your daytime audience who dosen't have kids. And then there is your best spenders on clothes they can't aford and will wear 10 times at max.
Thus, most of the crap you see on TV for all of the above.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 6:11:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
80% of your typical rent to own customer base is black, as is most of your chicken purchaser base (Col Sanders became KFC for a reason) as is most of your daytime audience who dosen't have kids. And then there is your best spenders on clothes they can't aford and will wear 10 times at max.
Thus, most of the crap you see on TV for all of the above.
View Quote

bwahahaha!!!!!
amen, brother.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 8:20:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I think that It's not all about color  here but about goals to be broken by people with black skins.  There were no black players in football until the great black ballplayers ,no basketball until the great basketball players.

Then  Blacks can't play golf,until Tiger.,Then Blacks can't play tennis until Venese and her sister.  Well you can safely say black people can jump but can't swim.  Seams like the same people will have to cross this barrier then they can own the world!  

Bob    [8D]
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 8:23:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Are you trying to suggest I dig a moat?
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 8:30:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 1:20:46 AM EDT
[#14]
What I'm saying is that in order to get jessee jackson off its back, corporate-america has far and away exceeded their exposure on telvision and  in the movies at price of demeaning the role of whites. Sort of a reverse racism. I WON'T see "Men in Black-2". In an interview with Barbara Walters, Will Smith denounces whites and accuses them of engineering the aids virus to wipe-out his people. Good black people should come forth and denounce such remarks, but are strangely silent!Hmmm....
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 6:44:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I WON'T see "Men in Black-2". In an interview with Barbara Walters, Will Smith denounces whites and accuses them of engineering the aids virus to wipe-out his people. Good black people should come forth and denounce such remarks, but are strangely silent!Hmmm....
View Quote

Yeah, I saw Will Smith barf up those comments too. But he's a black man so he gets a pass.

Whoopie Goldberg talks about the CIA putting crack into the ghettos to kill the blacks - pass.

Halle Berry goes on a racist, anti-white tirade at the Academy Award show - pass.

All the bitches-N-hos, ni@@a-dis-N-ni@@a-dat rap "music" superstars spewing their racist-shit across MTV - pass.

Jimmie the Greek tells a bit of the history of the slave trade - off with his head.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top