Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/1/2002 11:27:35 AM EDT
Can someone estimate the final consumer cost per unit of Freon.  What is the material cost, then the tax (I know it's hypertaxed) per unit.  I don't think that any State taxes are applied in my state.

I'm trying to help someone out and find out if they are being ripped off...

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 11:47:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 11:51:17 AM EDT
[#2]
$20 - $30 for a 12 oz can.

Edited to say: this is what shops pay around me.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 11:53:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I've seen $65/lb at some car dealerships. My buddy is an a/c serviceman, he sells to his customers for $50/lb.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 11:56:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I heard that there was a good drop-in replacement for R-12, and it is a lot cheaper.  Cannoit remember the # of the new product, but it is not the same as the new standard stuff.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 11:59:41 AM EDT
[#5]
R12 freon is not legal for manufacture or import into the US any more so it's expensive to buy (kind of like hi-cap mags).  Last I checked it was still cheap in Mexico so if you're close to the border you can get serviced there.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 12:03:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I heard that there was a good drop-in replacement for R-12, and it is a lot cheaper.  Cannoit remember the # of the new product, but it is not the same as the new standard stuff.

GunLvr
View Quote

Hotshot is what my A/C buddy called it. We dumped it into my Suburban's A/C last month. Went in at 80% of the r-12 charge. Works great.
It will also replace 134.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 2:39:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Some of those cheap" replacements are full of flammable gas, so, lets have a leak in the passenger compartment, add a spark,,,,,,,,stay with R-12 or go to 134.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 3:05:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I still have a bunch from the good ole days. Can I still sell it? I thought they just stopped producing it and/or importing it?
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 3:33:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Heres a suggestion, use FR-12 it is totaly compatable with R-12 and costs around $6.00 a 9.6oz (12oz as some call it) can.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 3:38:16 PM EDT
[#10]
What about R-22 prices? I have a 30lb cylinder of Dupont R-22 that I don't really need. Is it legal to sell it to somebody in the bizz?
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 3:49:43 PM EDT
[#11]
R-22 is a commercial refrigerant used in air conditioning systems, dont even think of putting that in an auto you will end up slugging the system and burning it out, that is a no no. As far as cost it is not on the banned list and is available anywhere.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 4:46:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
R-22 is a commercial refrigerant used in air conditioning systems, dont even think of putting that in an auto you will end up slugging the system and burning it out, that is a no no. As far as cost it is not on the banned list and is available anywhere.
View Quote

I know all about keeping R-22 away from auto A/C systems! I was mostly wondering if it was banned and if so what is it selling for these days?

Guess I'm still poor....
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 4:48:58 PM EDT
[#13]
R-12 still wholesales for about $100 per 30 pds. Then there's  the 1100.00 tax, making it sell to the contractors at about 40.00 per #.

R-22 goes for about 1.50 per # in a 30# cylinder.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 4:51:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Oh well, I think I paid something like $10 for it. I think I'll just keep it some more....
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 5:13:56 PM EDT
[#15]
[url]search.ebaymotors.com/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&siteid=100&s_partnerid=2&categorymap=6000&category0=6000&query=r12&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&ebaytag1=ebayreg[/url]
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 5:51:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I am in the HVAC/R business and carry both a Universal and Automotive certification to buy refrigerant. m (B.S., really.)

R-22 is not just a "commercial" gas.  It is used in nearly all home AC units.  Costs me about $42. / 30 LB.

R-12 costs around $ 900. / 30 LB.  More in small cans.  Most of that is tax.  Before the morons got into it, I paid $.88 per pound = $26.40 / 30 LB cyl!!

Not shot is a good if overpriced product.  It has an ASHRAE # but I can't think of it at the moment.  Works good - better than R-134a in older cars.  Mostly R-22 with atiny amount of propane.  Far too little flammable gas to be ignited.  ALL refrigeration systems can ignite a rapid leak as the oil mist it carries WILL  burn.  The Europeans use propane, butane, methane etc as a replacement for the CFC gasses.  Serves them right as they helped create this mess!!  Duracool (sp) for sure is one of these.  The tip off is whether you need a certification to buy it.  No card required means flammable.  Avoid like the clap.  Freeze 12 is a goofy mixture if I remember correctly.  I avoid it too.

R-134a conversions of older cars work - sometimes!!  PAG oil is crap but it is cheap so it is often used.  POE oil, another 100% synthetic, is far better.  Both are strong debris scavengers often causing things to plug up.  Both attack SOME elastomers in the system causing leaks and failures.  R-134a is a much smaller molecule so it leaks worse.  Particularly through older elastomers.  R-134a requires a larger condenser surface area than R-12 or the blend substitutes.  Some cars will barely work at all with it and can also have very short compressor life.

A couple other refrigerants work quite well in automotive but I do not believe they are certified for that application.  R-409a is a blend of R-22 and several other gasses.  I use it in many commercal systems without complaint.  MP-39 (R-401 I think is #.) is other one I use.  (Also based on 22.)  Not as good as R-409a as it doesn't work well in low temp applications and seems more prone to floodback.  Less effective at oil return too.  I use it only in systems that already have it.  Any other conversions get R-409a.  I NEVER convert to R-134a; I hate the stuff!

I have a couple jugs of R-12 I would love to sell or trade!!  Don't install it anymore.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 6:29:37 PM EDT
[#17]
micky mouse. commercial gas means (non automitive) ie. residential,commercial,industrial refrigerant.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top