Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/1/2002 9:10:20 AM EDT
from [url]http://www.mcall.com/news/local/all-b1_5gunclubjul01.story?coll=all%2Dnewslocal%2Dhed[/url]
Man dies after rifle explodes
Blast in barrel of gun at shooting range fatally injures N.J. resident.

By Joe McDonald
Of The Morning Call

A New Jersey man died after his rifle barrel exploded while he was target shooting over the weekend at the Easton Rod and Gun Club in Northampton County, authorities said Sunday.

The accident happened Saturday at the club's Lower Saucon Township firing range at 11:30 a.m., said Lehigh County Coroner Scott Grim.

There was an explosion in the barrel of the rifle that Glenn deRuiter, 54, of 268 W. Portal Road, Bethlehem Township, Hunterdon County, was firing, Grim said.

The blast sent out shrapnel, and one piece hit deRuiter in the head, Grim said.

DeRuiter died at 2:30 p.m. at St. Luke's Hospital, Fountain Hill, Grim said.

Grim, who ruled the death an accident, said the malfunction happened in the rifle's receiver ring.

Neighbors learned of deRuiter's death Sunday night.

''Everyone is in total shock,'' said neighbor Beverly Graczyk, the mayor of Bethlehem Township, about 40 miles east of Allentown.

''All of us are just gasping and trying to recover,'' she said.

Dairy farmer Bernie Beatty is another neighbor.

''He was a wonderful man, a wonderful father,'' Beatty said. ''I just saw him the other day. He was always working in the yard, doing something.''

DeRuiter also was a gun enthusiast, Graczyk said.

''He had quite an extensive gun collection,'' Graczyk said. ''I believe he worked for a company that manufactures firearms.''

DeRuiter and his wife, Joan, who is a teacher, have lived in the township for about 20 years.

''Glenn was a quiet, very nice man,'' Graczyk said.

''They are the kind of people you really want for neighbors, to be part of the community. He was just a really good guy.''

Graczyk said she knew deRuiter's wife through her efforts to save the Asbury Bridge, which Graczyk said was a ''wonderful antique'' with iron tresses.

''She fought hard to save that bridge,'' Graczyk said. ''But the county wouldn't listen and put up a new ugly one.''

As word of the accident spread through the township Sunday night, Graczyk said, ''This is a tough one … really, really hard.''
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:14:46 AM EDT
[#1]
If I recall correctly, he was the manager over at Sarco's....

What a tragedy... [:(]
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:22:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I've heard that the rifle in question was a 6mm US Navy Lee, and he was shooting formed handloads.  Not documented yet, just what I've read on other boards...

I'm waiting on the results of the investigation.  Unfortunately, it will probably end up being human error.  Probably pistol powder or something... [:(]
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:50:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Damn shame.  I'd like to get more specifics on what he was shooting, ie; what kind of gun, was he handloading, stuff like that.

I hope he wasn't doing something crazy like necking down a .50BMG to .17.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 11:15:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm sure the dickhead politicians in NJ ar even now scurrying to prevent this from happening again by banning some other type of firearm, bullet, or sumsuch.

My condolances to the family. At least he died doing what he loved. It's not much, but it's something...
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 11:19:39 AM EDT
[#5]
it would be nice to get a report on exactly what the rifle was....

Scott

Link Posted: 7/1/2002 8:48:44 PM EDT
[#6]
If I recall right, the operating pressure of military 6mm Navy was very high with a rear locking action - much higher than the common 54,000 psi/CUP nowadays.

It was common to rebarrel them to 256 Newton or 7mm Mauser, larger diameter cartridges both.  If someone was shooting high pressure modern cartridges with non-standard chambers, well,......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top