Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/1/2002 8:48:04 AM EDT
I'm thinkin about getting on a central Texas shoot sometime probably next month or in August.  I'm compiling some email addresses of the local guys, but anyone else who might be able to come, email me, so I can get a list together.  Thinking about doing it on a Saturday, of course.  

Location is looking like it will be Tony's Guns and Range, northwest of Austin off of 183.  Directions/map will be posted to the website soon!  They will allow us to cook out, we can bring appliances to destroy (as long as we remove the remains!) and they DO allow CLASS III!!    Sounds like a winner to me!  

Suggestions are welcome... I'm just trying to get the ball rolling... So far, about 35 people are interested.  The date will likely be either July 27th or August 3rd.  It will be up for a vote, but so far, several people have expressed interest in the August date.  

Check the website:
[url]home.austin.rr.com/mqj/CTSS.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 8:59:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I would be interested in meeting you guys, so count me in.
[email protected]
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:05:55 AM EDT
[#2]
count me aswell.  i need dates and times before i can confirm.  but i am interested!  i have a feeling my dad will let me go to this one.  i showed him how much fun i missed at ETH SHOOT and Bulletfest.  he saw all the pics!   [url][email protected][/url]  is my e-mail
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:07:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:09:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Can we blow stuff up and do rapid bump firing and are class 3 weapons welcome ?
View Quote

That you could probably do at Tony's range, north of Austin.  They even sell Tannerite!

I'm interested, too.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:47:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Legs,
I'm not sure, but I will contact the range owner and see. I'll also see if we can use some 'reactive' targets. From what I remember, the guy out there doesn't like them too much, so we may be limited to some cans/bottles. We'll see.

Maddog50, I'm not familiar with that range, send me some info... it might be a better place! Also, email me if you wish to be on the mailing list! :)

Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:51:19 AM EDT
[#6]
M1QJ,  I wish you all the luck in the world for this endevor.  Trying to get the Austin tribe together for a shoot is like herding cats!  I've tried twice and both times I shot alone.  The only board member who I have had the pleasure of shooting with at a local range is Maddog50.  But if I am still alive when this thing gets scheduled, you can bet I will be there!  Put me on your list.  You are right, "Crazy Richard" at HCRR can at times be a bit rough and gets his tin foil hat too tight.  When he starts in with his "The world is going to end next Tuesday" talk, I just smile at him and say "Yup, yer right about that.  I need to get back to shoot'n.", and then he leaves me alone.  Richard is very intelligent, but still a few bricks shy of a full load in the reality department.

Maddog, thanks for letting my co-worker and I shoot your Serbu 50!  Also, how long are the ranges at Tony's?

ilikelegs, I don't think propane tanks, tin cans, or tannerite, will go over very well with Richard.  Full auto is allowed, but the only place I have seen it done out there is on the 50 yd range that sits between the 425 yd covered rifle range and the 25 yd pistol/.22 silhouette range.  There are no target stands on that 50 yd range, but I have seen some shooters bring their own stands for that range.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:55:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Count me in: [email protected]
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 10:09:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 10:49:01 AM EDT
[#9]
I think I can make it, and if LT needs reliable transportation, he can ride with me.

WL
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 11:11:46 AM EDT
[#10]
An info webpage has been set up.  Don't laugh... I did it in 5 minutes:

[url]http://home.austin.rr.com/mqj/CTSS.htm[/url]

I'll get the dates and locations when we nail them down better.  After the event, I'll try to host some pictures.  M@

Link Posted: 7/1/2002 11:21:40 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm interested too.  I was just telling myself
that it has been too long since I could make one
of the shoots.  Of course, it depends on the
date selected, not that I have a preference now.

I visited Tony's place a few years ago.  Unless
it has changed it is a small range, perhaps 25yds.

DanM ( [email protected] )
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 2:06:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Trying to get the Austin tribe together for a shoot is like herding cats!
View Quote

I hear you.  At least that one time, it was the three of us.

I've shot IDPA a couple of times and I've been wanting to try IPSC.  This would give me the perfect excuse, if we did this after a match at Hill Country. (Just wanted to throw that out there.)

Quoted:
Maddog, thanks for letting my co-worker and I shoot your Serbu 50!  Also, how long are the ranges at Tony's?
View Quote

No problem.  

I used to teach CHL classes at Tony's.  It is about 10 miles north of the 183/29 interesection in Seward Junction.  (It's also very close to my house.)  They have 25, 100, and 150 yard ranges there as well as a clay target thrower.  Right now the 25 is under construction, so they are using the
100 as a pistol range.  They sell guns and ammo there.  The guy who runs the gun shop, Jason, is working on getting machine gun rentals out there, but this probably won't happen by August.  But they are class III, .50 BMG, and exploding target friendly.  I'm not sure about appliances, but I know that they don't have any there.  The appliances would be out of the ordinary.  They frown on ground-level targets because they want the bullets to hit the burm.

Their number is 254-793-3906 for Tony, range owner and 254-793-8122 for Jason, gun store owner.

You can find the place by travelling 10 miles north of 29 on 183, they are on the right hand sign, across from the "Lobo Village" billboard.  You will see a radio tower on the right as you approach.  You will pass 970 for Andice, but if you pass 138 you have gone too far.

I may be able to dig up one or two more people to attend.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 3:07:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I checked with Tony, and he said that setting up a grill is no problem.  Also, shooting appliances is OK as long as you haul it off when you're done.

They still sell the tannerite exploding targets.  Jason recommends that you shoot these from a minimum distance of 50 yards.

This is also one of the few places where you can present from the holster without the range staff having a cow.

Note that they also have handgun rentals out there.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 3:14:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 3:17:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Maddog, sweet!  I think that range might be the winner.  Have any idea if they allow class 3?  Someone emailed me asking.  Would be nice, I'd like to try a couple magazines of full auto!  

Doublefeed, I got some email addresses from some posts... I have 19 on the list now!  Keep 'em coming!

Link Posted: 7/1/2002 3:22:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm in.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 3:51:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Maddog, sweet!  I think that range might be the winner.  Have any idea if they allow class 3?  Someone emailed me asking.  Would be nice, I'd like to try a couple magazines of full auto!  
View Quote

Yes, Class III is allowed there.

You know, we could save a ton of money if we went in on a case of tannerite exploding targets:

[url]http://www.tannerite.com/she_exploding_targets.html[/url]
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 10:43:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Count me in! [email protected]
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 10:54:01 PM EDT
[#19]
The sooner a specific day is nailed down, the sooner I can figure out whether or not I can make it.

Also, is it possible for a moderator to tack this?  There are quite a few of us here in Central Texas that should see this.

[(:|)]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 7:05:11 AM EDT
[#20]
IM IN. EMAIL ME WHEN YOU CONFIRM A DATE. [email protected]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 7:17:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Sounds great.  I may be able to make it.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 11:19:31 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm in, depending on the date.  Email me when the date gets set for sure: [email protected]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 1:22:36 PM EDT
[#23]
BTT

Too bad we don't have any AR15.com wommenz down here!  

Link Posted: 7/2/2002 1:24:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 1:26:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Doublefeed, sweet... if she does, she if she's got a friend!  I'm single!  hehehe

Maybe this can be the Central Texas Summer Shoot and Bikini Contest... or something like that... lol

Link Posted: 7/2/2002 1:37:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Maddog50

Do you still instruct CHL classes? I want to explore a class.
[email protected]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 1:39:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 1:43:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
She has a dog.  You interested? [;D]
View Quote

No, but I may have a friend who is... lol

[:)]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 1:59:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Maddog50

[email protected]
View Quote

I had to miss the recertification last year due to work.  I'm planning to recertify in August.  Email me, I'd be happy to discuss this with you.

Link Posted: 7/2/2002 2:01:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maddog50

[email protected]
View Quote

I had to miss the recertification last year due to work.  I'm planning to recertify in August.  Email me, I'd be happy to discuss this with you.

View Quote

Hey, I might have to talk to you too!  I want to get my CHL this year, but might have to wait until after my vacation (in September)  I'd throw my bizniss your way!  
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 4:20:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 6:08:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If anybody would like to come shoot with us we put on a tactical carbine match the 2nd saturday of every month.
View Quote

Looks like you guys do some good stuff.  On the carbine matches, your web site mentions that they are loosely based on IDPA rules.  Does that mean that the engagement sequence and number of rounds is specified for each stage?

Link Posted: 7/2/2002 6:24:39 PM EDT
[#33]
I want to shoot in one of the Tactical Carbine matches, but I will probably wait until I can get myself an M1 Carbine... seems like a perfect little gun for the carbine match.  My 20"A2 might be a little unweildy being front heavy, but I could manage with it.  I do want to shoot in an IDPA match sometime.. I just need a couple mag pouches!

Link Posted: 7/2/2002 6:24:51 PM EDT
[#34]
I'll probably go too if it's not scheduled for the 2nd Saturday of the month.  Would also like to see you guys at the Texas Tactical shoot just west of Johnson City.  It's TONS of fun, regardless of your abilities.  There are usually a number of unexpected extras too.  I love it!

Oh yeah, back to the thread.  I'm bummed I didn't get to go the the ETH shoot, so I hope to be at a Central TX shoot.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 6:30:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I want to shoot in one of the Tactical Carbine matches, but I will probably wait until I can get myself an M1 Carbine... seems like a perfect little gun for the carbine match.  My 20"A2 might be a little unweildy being front heavy, but I could manage with it.  I do want to shoot in an IDPA match sometime.. I just need a couple mag pouches!

View Quote

Don't let 4 little inches stop you.  Come on & join us!  I was HOOKED after my first time.  That was in April.  You'll have a great time -- I promise!
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 8:43:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Im in depending on the date.

If anybody would like to come shoot with us we put on a tactical carbine match the 2nd saturday of every month. Great group of laid back shooters. We would love to have more members come out and shoot with us. It is loads of fun! Check our webpage for more details:
[url]http://mywebpage.netscape.com/texastactical/tx.html[/url]
View Quote

You gonna use your truck as a target again? [:D]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 8:54:40 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm interested in a local shoot!  Got a friend with a class 3 Tommy as well who might just be interested.

[email protected]

--ZERO
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 5:39:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 5:43:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 5:46:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 6:33:36 AM EDT
[#41]
If it is in august.. count me in.. Guys know anyone coming from houston?
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 6:58:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Vote for the day:
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=129568[/url]
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 11:45:31 AM EDT
[#43]
sounds great. count me in. am fairly new to AR15 and would like to attend a shoot. contact me [email protected]
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 6:36:13 AM EDT
[#44]
BTT

I know there are more Texans out there!  I've got 44 on the list so far!
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 4:46:09 PM EDT
[#45]
B friggin' tt
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 4:54:52 PM EDT
[#46]
My wife and I will drive over from Houston.  We can't make it on the 27th, as that's my mom's birthday, but August 10th is doable.  I voted for that in the poll.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 5:46:14 PM EDT
[#47]
GBT!!!! Glad to hear you are going to make it, Mojo and I missed you the last time we were in Conroe.  Looking forward to meeting you and your wife.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 6:03:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 6:20:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Thanks for the offer Mojo, but I'd better stick close to home.........Then again, my best bud, Mutt, just got his RRA put together.  Mutt and I were in the Corps together and another former Marine that we both worked with is in Beaumont....It would be nice to get the three of us together again.....Let me see what I can do!!
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 9:20:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

GBT, is your cell phone # the same?  I plan to visit my folks either next wk or the week after that.  We can go and shoot at SH national Forest on Sunday.
View Quote

Mojo, my cellphone is still the same and that would be awesome to go out shooting.  The battery is a little messed up right now, so it spends as much time on the charger as off.  I'll e-mail you my other contact numbers, and Brouhaha should have them as well, but I haven't talked to him one the phone in a while.

I've got a thousand rounds of 5.56 that I've got stashed away for a rainy day and 200 rounds in boxes/mags and the wife has been dying to go shoot for a while.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top