Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2002 8:45:53 AM EDT
[url=http://cbsnewyork.com/AP/NewsPower/State/NY/0nycn/n/NYC--Attorney-Arreste-nyn/news_html] CBS News report[/url]

(New York-AP) -- A Queens attorney who is part of a civilian patrol has been arrested on charges of stockpiling an arsenal of lethal weapons.

Prosecutors say attorney Philip Bernstein was charged with criminal possession of a weapon and other weapons charges.

Police found assault rifles, handguns and a double barrel shotgun -- along with high-capacity magazines and over ten-thousand rounds of ammunition -- in his Fresh Meadows home. Prosecutors say the private practice attorney's home is two blocks from an elementary school.

A spokeswoman for the Queens District Attorney's Office says Bernstein is part of a police-sponsored unarmed civilian patrol of his community.

Here we go again...
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 8:50:07 AM EDT
[#1]
[:O]2 blocks of a school![:O]
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 8:53:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Oh good grief...

We've got to stop this criminal stockpiling...

FOR THE CHILDREN!

[>Q]
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 8:53:57 AM EDT
[#3]
His home is 2 blocks away from an elementary school. WTF does that have to do with anything? I'll bet there is a street full of 4000#+ kid mashers right in front of the school. I'd take my chances with an armed lawyer any day over a New York driver! YIKES
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 8:59:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't understand....Why did this man break the law?.....Is it because he lives in NY and NY said no no to AWs?
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:01:30 AM EDT
[#5]
AFAIK (and IANAL) there is pretty strict gun registration and licensing in NYC.  He probably didn't have a license for the guns.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:02:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:04:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Police found assault rifles, handguns and a double barrel shotgun -- along with high-capacity magazines and over ten-thousand rounds of ammunition -- in his Fresh Meadows home. Prosecutors say the private practice attorney's home is two blocks from an elementary school.
View Quote

No "sniper rifles"?  What's the media coming to when they can't even list all their own alarmist buzzwords in an article.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:12:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Must... move... upstate...

Yes, yes. Quite impossible to own a firearm in NYC, unless, wait... you can get one from that guy at the corner for $400.

I love how most of the firearms in NYC are illegal.

43.2% of statistics are made up on the spot.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:38:33 AM EDT
[#9]
And he is an officer of the court to..what a rip...and being Jewish, an intended target of various islamic terror cells..being able to protect himself and his family and neighborhood isnt an option..
Who tipped the authorities off ....a little muslim bird? or a nervous crack dealer?
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:44:54 AM EDT
[#10]
OMG!
Oh No,
He had a dreaded double barrel shotgun.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:56:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
OMG!
Oh No,
He had a dreaded double barrel shotgun.
View Quote

And a high capacity magazine for it, too.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 10:15:28 AM EDT
[#12]
I assume this would qualify him as "Gun-Mad" with that terrible "Arsenal of Evil".

What a crock.

-legrue
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 10:23:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Read it and weep boys and girls....don't think for one moment that this cannot happen where you live....find out who is on the side of the gun owner and get out and vote....
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 11:00:48 AM EDT
[#14]
"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws." in Atlas Shrugged (1957)
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 11:09:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't understand....Why did this man break the law?.....Is it because he lives in NY and NY said no no to AWs?
View Quote
He lives in New York CITY-no assault rifles, no handguns (w/o special permit) no high capacity magazines-he's in a wee bit of trouble-most of this would not be a problem in New York outside of NYC
View Quote
Unless he had select fire rifles, he didn't have any assault rifles.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 11:24:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 11:31:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Shame on him! How do they expect terrorists to  be sucesssful if victims have the ability to fight back?
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 11:31:40 AM EDT
[#18]
I'd be curious to see WHY, and under what circumstances his home was searched.

Isn't that the most important part of this story??
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 11:40:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 11:41:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'd be curious to see WHY, and under what circumstances his home was searched.

Isn't that the most important part of this story??
View Quote

Nowhere does it say that the 'weapons of mass destruction' were found when police searched his home, it might be that a neighbor or 'friend' ratted him out. I assume his home would [i]then[/i] be searched.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 11:43:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Shame on him! How do they expect terrorists to  be sucesssful if victims have the ability to fight back?
View Quote

Victims are people who CAN'T fight back.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 11:49:52 AM EDT
[#22]
I sent CBS2 this message on their e-mail icon:

Your AP story on  on the Queens attorney being caught with guns points out the absurdity of NYC gun laws, especially in light of past terrorist attacks and possible future ones.  The police cannot protect us, but heaven forbid that someone should try to assume responsiblity for protecting themselves.  This quote is just more media hype and scare tactic trash that is unfortunately becoming the norm in media:

"A Queens attorney who is part of a civilian patrol has been arrested on charges of stockpiling an arsenal of lethal weapons."

Just exactly what is an arsenal?  From some articles I have read, it could be as small as  2 firearms, not hardly an arsenal.  Instead of this vague and misleading term of 'arsenal', try using a number and let people decide.  As far as 'lethal weapons', more sensationalism and scare tactics by the media.  A car can be a 'lethal weapon', as can a knife, a bathtub, a towel, a hammer, a brick, etc.  This type of reporting is becoming pretty typical and that is unfortunate.  At one time, you could lend credence to what a reporter said, but not anymore.

Also, the article quotes this:

"Police found assault rifles, handguns and a double barrel shotgun -- along with high-capacity magazines and over ten-thousand rounds of ammunition"

Well, regardless of what police say, Clinton says, or BATF says, a semiautomatic AR15 type rifle or any other semiautomatic is not an assault rifle because it is not capable of select fire, ie , more that one shot with each trigger pull.  I don't expect you to understand this as news organizations like yours seem to depend on untruthful groups such as the Brady/MMM organization for your innacurate 'facts'.

It is sad to see that a city likes to oppress it's decent citizens to the point to where they are treated worse than CRIMINALS for simply preparing to defend themselves if need be.  This man is not a criminal, even thought NYC laws and the local media will treat him as such.  

Meanwhile, those that DO commit robberies, rapes, and murders are coddled by the media and the court sytem, who try to 'understand' them, feel sorry for them, and blame their being scumbags on society, or their upbringing, etc......

This is really a sad state of affairs.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/1/2002 11:52:47 AM EDT
[#23]
The only good thing is that,by being an attourney he may fight the gunlaws in NYC as unconstitutional.This is the kind of case the NRA MUST GET INVOLVED IN,it is a perfect opportunity to get a constitutional decision on the repressive anti gun laws.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 11:58:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 12:18:52 PM EDT
[#25]
I'll bet Henry Bowman is really pissed right now!

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit
upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin
slitting throats."
- Henry Louis Mencken (1880-1956)
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 12:32:46 PM EDT
[#26]
The NRA will fight for general ownership of guns, yes.  But Will the NRA really fight for more evil features on a black rifle?  It's better than nothing of course but I wish they would do both.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 1:13:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unless he had select fire rifles, he didn't have any assault rifles.
View Quote
Unfortunately for Mr. Bernstein, NYC's administrative code {section 10-301 (16)} does include semi automatic weapons within the definition of an assault rifle-

16. "Assault weapon."

(a) Any semiautomatic centerfire or rimfire rifle or semiautomatic shotgun which has one or more of the following features:

1. folding or telescoping stock or no stock;

2. pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

3. bayonet mount;

4. flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor;

5. barrel shroud;

6. grenade launcher; or

7. modifications of such features, or other features, determined by rule of the commissioner to be particularly suitable for military and not sporting purposes. In addition, the commissioner shall, by rule, designate specific semiautomatic centerfire or rimfire rifles or semiautomatic shotguns, identified by make, model and/or manufacturer's name, as within the definition of assault weapon, if the commissioner determines that such weapons are particularly suitable for military and not sporting purposes.

(b) Any shotgun with a revolving-cylinder magazine.

(c) Any part, or combination of parts, designed or redesigned or intended to readily convert a rifle or shotgun into an assault weapon.

(d) "Assault weapon" shall not include any rifle or shotgun modified to render it permanently inoperative.
View Quote
I don't give a fuck what their law says, unless his rifles were select fire, he did not have any assault rifles.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 1:40:26 PM EDT
[#28]
[size=4]Update on the Arsenal of Evil[/size=4]

As seen on CBS Channel 2 News:

His girlfriend reported the weapons to the police after he allegedly waved a handgun at her. The police arrived and saw some of the weapons, then got a search warrant and siezed the weapons, 16 in total, along with the 10k+ rounds of ammo. Initial reports say that Bernstein [i]might[/i] have been using the weapons for protection, for the police also found a booklet detailing the steps that should be taken in case of a break-in or if your house was to come under attack. [whacko]
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 1:42:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

No "sniper rifles"?  What's the media coming to when they can't even list all their own alarmist buzzwords in an article.
View Quote

Atleast they could use double barrel Sniper shotguns.[:D]
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 2:10:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Pay attention to this one, gentlemen:

[size=4][b]"His girlfriend reported the weapons..."[/b][/size=4]
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 2:48:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Pay attention to this one, gentlemen:

[size=4][b]"His girlfriend reported the weapons..."[/b][/size=4]
View Quote

If it wasn't for that patch o'hair.........well, about 10% would make "the cut".

Women do not know their place or role in society anymore.  All 20 years of womens lib has done is make it acceptable for women to shirk their role in the male/female relationship, be unaccountable for it, and just generally fuck things up in their quest to run the world their way.

Note that the women here fall into that other 10%.....
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 3:04:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 3:14:00 PM EDT
[#33]
I'll bet he "binge" drinks more often than owners of non-automatic or semi-automatic weapons.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 5:15:20 PM EDT
[#34]
stockpiling an arsenal of lethal weapons
View Quote

Who would have known the weapons were lethal?

Or, I take it it's legal to stockpile weapons so long as their not lethal?
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 5:27:12 PM EDT
[#35]

stockpiling an arsenal of lethal weapons
View Quote

10K rounds of ammo, WOW,  now I know who picked up all the SA battle packs.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 5:52:21 PM EDT
[#36]
If thats all the ammo he had, we need to take up a collection for him....fullclip
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 6:10:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Lawyers own a lot of guns.
Half the lawyers at my firm have CCWs, not guns, CCW permits.
My mailman is pretty cool (we share woodworking as a hobby) he says all the layers he knows on his route subscribe to at least one gun magazine.
I think it is because we know, as much as cops do, how scummy people are.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 7:48:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Monday, July 1, 2002

QUEENS LAWYER CHARGED WITH CRIMINAL POSSESSION OF DEADLY FIREARMS; ALLEGEDLY STOCKPILED ARSENAL OF HANDGUNS, ASSAULT RIFLES, SHOTGUNS AND OVER 10,000 ROUNDS OF AMMUNITION IN FRESH MEADOWS HOME

Queens District Attorney Richard A. Brown announced today that a Queens attorney, who is also an auxiliary police officer in the 107th Precinct, has been charged with criminal possession of deadly firearms and accused of stockpiling an arsenal of lethal weapons -- including assault rifles, handguns and a double barrel shotgun -- along with high-capacity magazines and over 10,000 rounds of ammunition in his Fresh Meadows home which is only two blocks from a public elementary school.

District Attorney Brown identified the defendant as Philip Bernstein, 46, of 69-40 Fresh Meadow Lane in Fresh Meadows, Queens. The defendant has been charged with Criminal Possession of a Weapon in the Third and Fourth Degree and violating the Firearms/Ammunition provision of the New York City Administrative Code. He faces up to seven years in prison if convicted.

District Attorney Brown said, "The defendant is charged with turning his home into an arsenal stocked with handguns, rifles, shotguns and thousands of live rounds of ammunition. He is alleged to have kept a loaded pump action shotgun next to his bed, to have two assault rifles with folding stock and flash suppressor barrel under his bed and to have had a safe full of handguns, rifles and ammunition. The defendant allegedly also had other ammunition hidden throughout his house including under his living room sofa, on a guest room bookshelf, in his dining room and inside a hallway closet. The stockpile of guns and ammunition posed a potential threat to public safety."

The District Attorney said that the weapons cache was discovered last week when the defendant’s fiancé who resides with him, called police during a domestic quarrel.

According to the criminal complaint, on Wednesday, June 26, 2002 about 1:30 p.m. police responded to the woman’s complaint and the defendant admitted them to his residence. Police saw a shotgun next to a bed and the defendant showed them eight rifles, five handguns as well as numerous rounds of ammunition which he had stored in a safe.

Several hours later detectives returned to the residence and executed a court authorized search warrant drafted by the District Attorney’s Narcotics Investigation Bureau.

Detectives seized a total of 16 guns -- including five handguns, two 9mm assault rifles, six other rifles and three shotguns including a Remington 870 Police Magnum with a shoulder stock marked "for law enforcement use only" -- and over 10,000 rounds of ammunition of various calibers for rifles, pistols and shotguns weighing over 200 pounds and over 80 large-capacity ammunition feeding devices. It is alleged that the defendant lacked proper licenses for many of the weapons found in his home.

The defendant’s home is just two blocks from PS 173, a public elementary school grades K-5, at 174-10 67th Avenue. Classes were dismissed for summer vacation the day before the defendant’s arrest.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 7:50:40 AM EDT
[#39]

The defendant has been an Auxiliary Police Officer for the past two years. His duties included unarmed patrols within the confines of the 107th Precinct which encompasses the defendant’s Fresh Meadows neighborhood.

The defendant was arrested on Wednesday, June 26, 2002 at his home and was arraigned on Friday in Queens County Criminal Court by Judge Denis J. Butler who set bail of $200,000 (bond)or $100,000 (cash) and a return date of July 11, 2002.

The investigation was conducted by Sergeant Greg Meyers and Police Officer Warren Ernst of the 107th Precinct under the command of Captain Patrick Heaney and by Sergeant Christopher Kunz of the NYPD Intelligence Division under the supervision of Captain Frank Darcillo. Members of the NYPD Emergency Services Unit and the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms assisted in the investigation.

Assistant District Attorney Marnie B. Lobel of the District Attorney's Narcotics Investigation Bureau is prosecuting the case under the supervision of Assistant District Attorneys Wilbert J. LeMelle, Bureau Chief, Gregory C. Pavlides, Deputy Bureau Chief, and Karen J. Friedman, Supervisor, and under the overall supervision of Executive Assistant District Attorney for Investigations Peter A. Crusco, Deputy Executive Assistant District Attorney Michael J. Mansfield and Linda M. Cantoni, Counsel to the Investigation Division.

It should be noted that criminal charges are merely accusations and that a defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 7:55:26 AM EDT
[#40]
As an attorney living in NYC, I've had to master a labyrinthine system of regulations to own my small collection of handguns and rifles.

For starters, you need a NYC Rifle/Shotgun permit for long guns ($55+$78+4 months).  Every long gun must be registered.  Assault weapons are no-nos, and the NYC definition previously referenced in a post rules out almost every semi-automatic rifle, including such assault weapons as the M1 Garand and the Ruger 10/22.

Those are all city ordinances, maximum penalty is misdemeanor.

There is also a separate handgun licensing, which is done under state law by new york city.  Possession without permit can be a felony or misdemeanor, depending.  That's one element of this story I am most curious about, namely how this unfortunate lawyer got busted with felony charges.  I am under the impression that illegal pistols in your home are Criminal Weapons Possession Fourth, a misdemeanor only.  Does anyone have any more detail on this case?
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 11:25:55 AM EDT
[#41]
It appears from the article that the entire staff of the District Attorney's office is working the case!

I always laugh when the DA makes a statement like "The stockpile of guns and ammunition posed a potential threat to public safety." He must be up for reelection in November.
[:D]

For an attorney he wasn't too smart.  He should have registered his NYC "legal" firearms or kept them outside of NYC.

Link Posted: 7/2/2002 11:30:38 AM EDT
[#42]
I actually called the Queens DA and had a chat with them about the case.  After 10 minutes or so, it has become apparent that they have no basis whatsoever for the third degree possession charge.  I think that was a throwaway charge levied against unfortunate Mr. Bernstein so the DA could announce he faces up to seven years in jail rather than saying he faces up to one year in jail.

I personally have registered all my NYC legal weapons (at great expense of time and money) and kept the rest in suffolk.  I do shudder to think what would happen if they came to my house, I must have at least 10,000 rounds of ammo in my house -- all legal -- heck, I have two unopened SA 2700 rd battleacks alone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top