Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2002 7:55:08 PM EDT
Economist doesn't link their articles, so I'll have to rely on my typing skills.

The kicker comes at the end, so if you want just read the last paragraph.

Out of the June 22nd issue of the Economist:

Men without Women

bEIJING
The consequence of family planning

It has been more than 20 years since China implemented its harsh yet effective family-planning policy. By limiting urban couples to a single child and most rural couples to two, China has managed to slow the growth of the world's largest population. Now, however, the government must figure out what to do about the policy's unintended consequence: a huge and potentially destabilizing sex imbalance. Statistics just released based on the 2000 census disclose that, in the country as a whole, about 117 boys are born for every 100 girls. The imbalance is extraordinary in some areas, exceeding 135 for 100 in southern Hainan province.

The reasons are easy to fathom. When couples were free to have half a dozen children, there was a natural mix of boys and girls. When limited to one or two, they worked the system to produce sons. At the benign extreme, a girl's birth might simply not be registered, in the hope that next time the couple would produce a male. Moer worrying is widespread sex-selective abortion. Cheap but effective ultrasound equipment is now available throught China and, though the practice is illegal, it is routinely used for pre-natal sex determination. The abortion that apparently often follows is devoid of taboo in China and extremely easy to arrange.

All this leads to worries about how society can function without enough women. The prospect of a large surplus of single men in China alarms Valerie Hudson, a professor at Brigham Young University in the United States. In a study to be published in the next issue of Harvard University's journal [i]International Security[/i], she notes that soceties with large numbers of unmarried males tend to experience more crime, unrest, and violence. While acknowledging that sex imbalance is only one of many factors influencing levels of violence, Miss Hudson points out that the 30m[illion] unhappily married men China is likely to have by 2020 could become "kindling for forces of political revolution at home". There could also be an impact outside China, she says. The government may decide to use the surplus men as a weapon for military adventurism and "actively desire to see them give their lives in pursuit of a national interest." A terrifying thought indeed.
View Quote

Man, if you think there are too many Palestinian suicide bombers...
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 7:58:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Upside, even less Chinese Communists.

If I was their leadership, I would give tax cuts for girl babies.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 8:17:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Isn't there a large China town in San Francisco?
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 9:28:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 10:07:36 PM EDT
[#4]
They may give up and resort to the old fashoned method of population control-

Frequent and/or continuous warfare with neighboring states.

China v. India would be interesting.

They also would provide a large source of potential revolutionaries for future unrest at home:
[url]http://pub49.ezboard.com/fwarships1discussionboardsfrm16.showMessage?topicID=587.topic[/url]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 2:21:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
China v. India would be interesting.
View Quote

Funny you should mention India, since the same problem is happening there.  One study a few years ago (mid-1990's) found that over 90% of abortions in India were to eliminate girl fetuses.

I'm surprised that The Economist doesn't mention the still-common practice of "exposure" in China -- abandoning a baby outdoors so that it dies of cold, heat, dehydration, or starvation.

Meanwhile, China is a source for mail-order brides trying to leave for a better life.  Parents will sell their daughters to foreigners for the equivalent of a couple of thousand US dollars.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 5:51:16 AM EDT
[#6]
China has to have the most f'd up government in the world. It is a place where they encourage selective abortion, require abortion in many cases, and cause infanticide. It is a repressive communist regime with absolutely no regard for human rights or freedom. They have capital punishment for all sorts of crimes like political dissidence (spelling), practicing a "cult" religion, or maybe just having harvestable organs that wealthy but sick Chinese folks might need.

They are a political, military, and economic enemy of the United States and they demonstrate this every chance they get with words and actions. Yet we continue to fuel their economy by buying their tools, electronic equipment, and injection-molded plastic toys.

What truly amazes me is that they don't even deny most of these allegations. Instead, they justify them. Check http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/index.html. There, they justify outlawing the Falun Gong meditation organization as an evil "cult". The website also explains lots of other issues such as Taiwan, Tibet, and human rights (where they say that the USA has a human rights record at least as bad as China's).

They have farms where they keep bears in small cages with catheters inserted to remove bile from the gall bladder. The gall bladder bile is used for some home-healing herbal medicine or something and sells for lots of money. That's just one example of some of the bizzare stuff that goes on over there.

The Chinese people are great, but their government really sucks.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 6:27:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes, India has the same problem.  Not uncommon to see families with 5 sons.  I doubt that the excess Chinese men will be used as a "surplus army", quite the opposite, with only one-child families the Chinese parents will be less and less willing to sacrifice their only child to the cause.  A Korean War now, such as the one 50 years ago when the Chinese lost a million or more men, would cause all sorts of political unrest today.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 6:40:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yes, India has the same problem.  Not uncommon to see families with 5 sons.  I doubt that the excess Chinese men will be used as a "surplus army", quite the opposite, with only one-child families the Chinese parents will be less and less willing to sacrifice their only child to the cause.
View Quote

The parents (and sons) won't be given a choice in the matter.  Besides, men without the hope of women tend to get violent.  This was part of what fueled some of China's past revolutions -- back then, the parents just abandoned baby girls, leading to the same situation that the "one child" policy is causing today.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 9:13:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Men without women?  Imagine a very large prison... a prison with about 3 billion men...

Just ain't pretty.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 9:20:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top