Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2002 7:38:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 7:44:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I would say do something that will actually do some good for the rest of them like better training.  Hope they pull through.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 7:46:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 8:04:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 8:16:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Better wait until all the info is released before commenting.  Sounds like a nightmare.  My prayers are with the surviving families.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 8:18:36 PM EDT
[#5]
From above news article:
"He was acting pretty suspicious, keeping his hands in his pockets, and the next thing they know he pulled out a handgun and shot three of our detectives," Dymerski said
View Quote

The two most seriously injured detectives were flown to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle. Both were in critical condition, one with gunshot wounds to an elbow and his torso, the other with multiple gunshot wounds in his lower body, a nursing supervisor said.
View Quote

They weren't wearing body armor, on a drug raid?

Nightmare? No, nightmare is when you go to a place and they turn out to be waiting and pull out rifles and start blazing away. This is just carelessnes of a high order.

If it was a guy with a rifle or even a shotgun, but just a handgun?

And gun owners will get blamed for it anyways...
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 8:28:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The two most seriously injured detectives were flown to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle. Both were in critical condition, one with gunshot wounds to an elbow and his torso, the other with multiple gunshot wounds in his lower body, a nursing supervisor said.
View Quote

View Quote

Unfortunately body armor the LEOs wear around here doesn't cover the area below the navel nor do they wear side panels so a gunshot in those areas would be pretty bad .
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 8:32:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Unfortunately body armor the LEOs wear around here doesn't cover the area below the navel nor do they wear side panels so a gunshot in those areas would be pretty bad .
View Quote

That is so sad! Do they give a justification?
Side and groin panels are offered, even on concealment vests.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 8:38:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Unfortunately like many things its a trade off , total coverage with a severe lost of mobility or limited coverage with pretty good mobility . Every tangle with somebody hand-to-hand while wear complete bodyarmour ? I think Waverunner could come out on top but not the average LEO (Plus I think he would be better qualified to answer this ). Its a game of averages/probibilities .
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 4:31:58 PM EDT
[#9]
So why is there no death penalty for drug production & trafficking? Top it off w/ another attempt to gun down police - the herd needs to be culled - again.

They seem to be serious about getting it out there. Can't the gov't be as serious about eradicating the problem (ie. them)?
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:14:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Update.
[url]http://www.komotv.com/news/printstory.asp?id=19157[/url]

Gunfire erupted about three hours after 12 to 20 detectives and other deputies served an arrest warrant and arrested two people without incident near this town southeast of Seattle, sheriff's Sgt. Greg Dymerski said.

Trouble began when Burow arrived on a motorcycle after 6 p.m., Dymerski said.

"He was acting pretty suspicious, keeping his hands in his pockets, and the next thing they know he pulled out a handgun and shot three of our detectives," he said. "We're just counting our blessings that they're alive."

Burow was killed by return fire from deputies or other detectives who were present, Dymerski said.
View Quote

This, is so amazing. There are X number of deputies standing around this guy, and he not only out draws them, but also shoots three of them, two more than once, and with some aim since he shoots around their body armor. All before he can be shot, or shot enough to make him stop shooting.

Was this guy just that good or?

Also, isn't it normal when doing a raid like this to have some form of perimeter security? Marked cars parked in front of the vheicle entrances. Uniformed officers watching foot entrances. Just to keep the neighborhood kids out if nothing else. How is it that someone was able to just ride in like this, get all the way up to the house?

Since the raid had been three hours earlier, and detectives were just collecting stuff and investigating the premisis, that probably explains where the long guns and raid armor went to- already back in their cars trunks long before. I cant see that as a issue now.

But the speed and effectivenes of this guy's shooting, was he ungodly fast and accurate or the officers really really slow? Were they expecting perimeter security and then next they know there is this bike pulling up to the door?
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 3:32:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This, is so amazing. There are X number of deputies standing around this guy, and he not only out draws them, but also shoots three of them, two more than once, and with some aim since he shoots around their body armor.
View Quote
From the description of the vests they wear up there, I'd say it was lucky hits. Also, the story doesn't say how many shots he actually fired, only how many that resulted in injuries. Pre-ban mags, you know, pre-ban mags.

All before he can be shot, or shot enough to make him stop shooting.
View Quote
Well, he probably had his hand on his gun before he initiated the draw. Also, if the cops were standing around him they might have been 1: Taken off guard as someone who's clearly surrounded would be stupid to pull a gun, and/or 2: worried that they might hit another officer behind the suspect (watch your background, you know.)

Was this guy just that good or?
View Quote
Initially lucky, but inevitably stupid.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 4:08:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So why is there no death penalty for drug production & trafficking? Top it off w/ another attempt to gun down police - the herd needs to be culled - again.
View Quote

If the govt, wasn't telling people what they can put in their bodies, the herd would cull itself, and the tax-payer would save some big $$$......
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 4:28:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Also IIRC, the shooter in this was mad at the police becuase his stepson had been shot by a police officer when he tried to run down that officer.

The shootong had nothing to do with the warrant, except that there were police officers there, and this guy wanted to kill them.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 4:29:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Every tangle with somebody hand-to-hand while wear complete bodyarmour ? I think Waverunner could come out on top but not the average LEO (Plus I think he would be better qualified to answer this )
View Quote

Didn't read the article yet, plus I have to catch my train to work [b]BUT[/b] I have had to fight it out with my last collar who didn't want to come along "peacefully". I wear body armor all the time(Level 2, Safariland or Point Blank, I own (2) vests!) and that will restrict your upper body a little. Heavy armor that ESU/SRT/SWAT types use is an entirely different story. That stuff is wicked heavy as it was designed to stop rifle rounds and fighting in that would be a real pain in the ass. Sorry about that, let's get back on topic here....
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 4:29:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Prayers sent for the officers, soldiers, and their families.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top