Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2002 3:41:25 PM EDT
I took some pics on Super HQ and they are over 400k, is there anyway to reduce the quality after the fact?  They are too big to go on the server.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 3:44:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you mean reduce the size of the file without changing the dimensions of the pictures? i.e. 5x10 at 400K --> 5x10 at 200K or something like that?
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 3:48:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends on what software you have, I suppose.

I use Paint Shop Pro (PSP), so base my statements off of that.  A evaluation version is available for download from [url=www.jasc.com]Jasc Software's[/url] page.

First off, make sure they're .jpg's.  If they're .bmp's, they'll take up a lot more room than they should.

If you want to post them on the web, resize them down to 640x480 or so.

There's an option in the Save As dialogue box, when you chose to save as a .jpg, that allows you to dictate how much compression vs quality there will be.  May have to play a bit to find the optimal compromise.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 3:49:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you have a photo editing app. if so just resize it to a lower resolution like, 800X600, or 640x480.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 3:53:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I use Photoshop to [b]resize[/b] to 640x427 my 1440x960 pics before I post them.

A little [b]sharpening[/b] does wonders to make up for the lost pixels.

I then save at a low level of .JPG compression to maintain the image quality.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top