Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2002 9:48:00 PM EDT
I live near a heavily timbered lake.  Locating crappie on it can be a problem, because of the fact that their is such a large amount of standing timber.
A year or two ago,  I was fishing and not having much luck, the fellow about 100 yards away from me was just ripping them in. After he left, I moved over to his spot and limited out. While pulling up anchor, I spotted a rope tied onto the tree I was next to. The rope was just below the surface. Curiosity got to me. I pulled up the rope , and found a 5 gallon bucket with holes punched in it. The bucket was filled with something or another as it was dribbling out the holes.

I caught fish here for the next week or so, each time pulling up the bucket to see if it had been rebaited. I eventually quit catching fish in this location, about the same time that I found the bucket to be empty.

What was in this bucket? I am thinking about making a bucket of my own, any suggestions?
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 10:31:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Dogfood is what I'd suspect was in the bucket.
It will attract the smaller baitfish,which attract larger fish ...
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 10:34:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Chumming for crappie? I think that several companies make a commercial chum/attractant.
I've used cat food and soured grain for catfish.
'Round here they build (and mark) brush piles and floating lights and minnows.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 10:37:11 PM EDT
[#3]
might not be legal to chum in your state..make sure you check the regs first.  i think it's illegal in WI..although as a youngster i chummed corn for carp.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 10:40:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Toilet paper!

I just had to.[:D]
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 10:40:30 PM EDT
[#5]
if legal in your state, you might try a crappie light. its like a floating lamp faced into the water for night fishin. illegal in iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top