Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2002 8:37:47 PM EDT
We went to a birthday party today and were outside listening to the neighbor's kids screaming when suddenly there was the screech of tires and a little THUD.
I looked up and saw the car skidding to a stop; a pair of little shoes and what looked at first glance like a small dog sliding off the road to the grass.
That picture didn't make sense.  Something was terribly wrong.  I rushed to the road where I saw a little 2-year old boy laying limp on the ground.
We yelled to call 911 and at the driver to stop.
The driver stopped immediately and the Fire Dept. was there in probably 3 minutes or less.
I saw that the boy was breathing and he started moaning and attempted to move.  Good signs.
From way back in my past some EMT things came up and I observed these signs and began to feel him for broken bones or lacerations without/before moving him.
As I was checking him his Father came running out and started to grab him.  I tried to explain we should not move him yet, but, the man was obviously from a different country by the looks and language barrier (sorry, profiling is a necessity here).
I continued to assess the injuries as best I could when Dad pulled him up and began to hold onto him in a grief stricken panic.  
By now the  sirens were signaling the arrival of the Emergency Units and the man just wouldn't put the kid down until they got there and had to almost pry him loose from his father's arms ( I know this is a natural response and it was difficult to try to convince the man to put the boy down ).
The boy was eventually taken to the hospital with the father riding along.
The Police closed down the road for investigation by the Detectives.
The driver of the car lived down the street and all indications and statements by the little boy's brothers and sisters show the kid ran out in front of the car, which was not speeding.
The driver and his wife were sent home while the car and scene were photographed.

I was the first one to the kid and by God I'm so happy it wasn't one of my little girls, and I'm so sorry for the kid and his family and feel horrible for the older gentleman who was driving the car ( he and his wife were just returning from their own grandson's baseball game... ).
I guess it shook up a lot of people.

PLEASE watch your kids and know where they are.
I know it can happen in an instant, the terrible tragedy of seeing a child get hurt.

I'll check in on the boy soon to see how he's doing, 'cuz, quite frankly, this freaked me out a bit.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 8:44:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top