Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2002 11:00:30 AM EDT
This is a credible study and cannot be refuted. Also, as admitted to here many times, you all are or will soon be alcoholics.

[url=www.saf.org/journal/9_auto.html]CHARACTERISTICS OF AUTOMATIC
OR SEMIAUTOMATIC FIREARM OWNERSHIP
IN THE UNITED STATES[/url]
by David Hemenway, Ph.d., and Elizabeth Richardson, M.S.

I demand that John Ashcroft use the 2nd Amendment to impose reasonable restrictions upon owners of such guns.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 11:05:47 AM EDT
[#1]
ABSTRACT

Objective. This study examined ownership patterns of automatic/semiautomatic firearms in the United States.

Methods. Data were derived from a national random-digit-dialing telephone survey of 800 gun owners.

Results. Sixty percent of gun owners reported owning an automatic or semiautomatic firearm. In comparison with other gun owners, owners of automatics or semiautomatics were more likely to be male, live in the South, own a gun for protection, and have a gun for work. They were also more likely to report binge drinking.

Conclusion. Owners of automatic or semiautomatic firearms differ from other gun owners in several respects, [red]including frequency of binge drinking.[/red] (Am J Public Health. 1997; 87:286-288)

View Quote

Ha Ha. I wonder how much federal money they got to produce this.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 11:12:53 AM EDT
[#2]
"who owned a automatic or semiautomatic firearm were men, lived in the South, had lived in an urban community at 12 years of age, owned a gun for protection, and owned or carried a gun for work"

Yep that's me.
[beer]
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 11:16:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Thats complete bullshit...

Credible? HA!

No person in their right mind would answer questions like that from someone calling on a "random" basis. Or is it just people in the South who arent so bright that they would?

Also, I find it INCREDIBLE that they were finding fully-automatic weapons, much less people admitting that they had one..to a stranger yet...In the amount they had listed.

This is non-credible bullshit.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 11:21:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 11:27:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Damn, I have lived in the South all my life. The first gun I owned was a lever action rifle. First gun I purchased was Semi pistol. I currently have more than 5 guns(don't tell nobody, okay?). But I do not believe I have ever had one binge to drink. Is that some sort of fancy mixed drink?!? [beer]

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 11:32:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 12:46:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I have seen binge drinking defined as more than four drinks in one night.

How did they define it?

This study really doesn't say anything other than people that own semi-auto weapons reportedly "binge drink" more often than others.  No causation or link.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 2:18:17 PM EDT
[#8]
The most interesting thing to me
The refusal rate was 27.1%.
View Quote

A priori, we divided respondents into those who owned one or more automatic or semiautomatic weapons and those who owned none. One hundred twenty respondents (15%) answered the preceding question by indicating that they did not know or were not sure. These respondents were excluded from the analysis but were compared with other gun owners in terms of the independent variables.
View Quote

So 27.1% did not respond and 15% did not know what weapons they had.  

Implied results.... Since we have tried outlawing alcohol and it didn't work, lets outlaw guns instead.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 3:05:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Aside from the economic devastation, another prohibition would not be such a bad thing. I like beer, but can take it or leave it.

Am I now forbidden to post on this website for saying that?
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 3:35:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll drink to that.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 3:41:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

How did they define it?

This study really doesn't say anything other than people that own semi-auto weapons reportedly "binge drink" more often than others.  No causation or link.
View Quote

Maybe you should read the paper for the answers?
Not that difficult.
Are you familiar with the term "correlation?"
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 3:45:46 PM EDT
[#12]
 I've heard of this "BINGE DRINKING", I am have been binging on Cream Soda all day long.. Hiccup...

Hmmm Vanilla..

Ben
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 3:52:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't even drink.
AB
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 3:56:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I don't even drink.
AB
View Quote

You really should drink something, Bob.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 3:58:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Yeah don't dissapoint the anti's, by breaking out of their stereotype...  

Ben
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 4:06:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This is a credible study and cannot be refuted. Also, as admitted to here many times, you all are or will soon be alcoholics.
View Quote

Well, [i]DUH[/i] ... reading bull$hit like this passed off as real scientific analysis always drives me to drink.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 4:07:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 4:11:08 PM EDT
[#18]

automatic or semiautomatic "
View Quote

And how could they produce a statement like that?? If by Automatic they mean CLASSIII, then that percentage would be 1/1000th the Semi Automatic crowd.. And yet they say this:

Approximately 60% of the gun owners possessed at least 1 automatic or semiautomatic firearm
View Quote

Ben

Link Posted: 6/29/2002 4:11:08 PM EDT
[#19]
"have a gun for work"

does that mean LEO, god forbid our police have "automatic" weapons.

we need to do a

CHARACTERISTICS OF BLEEDING HEART ANTI FREEDOM LIBRALS IN THE UNITED STATES

comeon guys, lets get a valid and objective report together.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 4:11:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Ben
View Quote

Actually I meant water or something, you need liquid to survive.

I do not drink alcohol either.

I meant it as a joke.

But I am finding my humor flops over the internet.[:D]
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 4:13:54 PM EDT
[#21]
AR10er, Yeah I know.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 4:22:55 PM EDT
[#22]
And they even tried to make the study sound scientific.

"Results. Sixty percent of gun owners reported owning an automatic or semiautomatic firearm. In comparison with other gun owners, owners of automatics or semiautomatics were more likely to be male, live in the South, own a gun for protection, and have a gun for work. They were also more likely to report binge drinking"

As opposed to owners of lipstick happen to be most likely female.  

I'd bet that owners of bolt action rifles would be more likely to be male also.  As we'll as owners of large Sears toolkits.

"More likely" - does this mean 51% or more?  Study was rather vague.

Maybe we should outlaw alchohol instead.  Seems drinking large quantities at once makes mostly males buy 5 or more auto/semi weapons.  By outlawing alchohol we can reduce the evil weapon ownership by 60%.

Link Posted: 6/29/2002 4:25:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 4:26:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
And they even tried to make the study sound scientific.

"Results. Sixty percent of gun owners reported owning an automatic or semiautomatic firearm. In comparison with other gun owners, owners of automatics or semiautomatics were more likely to be male, live in the South, own a gun for protection, and have a gun for work. They were also more likely to report binge drinking"

As opposed to owners of lipstick happen to be most likely female.  

I'd bet that owners of bolt action rifles would be more likely to be male also.  As we'll as owners of large Sears toolkits.

"More likely" - does this mean 51% or more?  Study was rather vague.

Maybe we should outlaw alchohol instead.  Seems drinking large quantities at once makes mostly males buy 5 or more auto/semi weapons.  By outlawing alchohol we can reduce the evil weapon ownership by 60%.

View Quote

Now that is the spirt!
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 4:29:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
AR10er, Yeah I know.
View Quote

Hey thanks, someone got it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 4:33:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Well, DUH!...Of COURSE we binge drink more. We need the extra beer cans and bottles to "spray bullets" at with our automatic baby-killing machines!
[beer] [uzi]
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 4:37:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Binge?
[red]"In the last two months, how times have you had five or more alcoholic drinks on one occasion?"[/red]

[size=4][blue]Ha,ha,ha,ha,ha....[/blue][/size=4]

how long is an occaision? 10 minutes? 10 Hours? This "study" was made by "wetawds"

[-=(_)=-]
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 4:40:51 PM EDT
[#28]
i live in the south,and i drank a binge once and went to wallmart,and tried to buy a single shot rifle and they told me i was crazy,so i went home and drank another binge.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 4:57:50 PM EDT
[#29]
I hear the next study is for drivers of BMW's and Lexus. Auto compared to Stick shift..The correlation between coke use. It is known that drivers of Automatics have a 60% likely hood of being Cocane users.   Reason easier to snort and not have to shift....WHAT A BUNCH OF BS.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 5:39:06 PM EDT
[#30]
That shtudy ish a crock ov shit

hic
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 5:46:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't even drink.
AB
View Quote

You really should drink something, Bob.
View Quote

I like water.
AB
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 5:47:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Ben
View Quote

And I ain't from the south either.
AB
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 6:07:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Another useless BIASED study funded with taxpayer dollars.  Yes this was funded by the clintonista government.  Not only are the numbers suspect, the conclusion smacks of egregious oversimplification to the point of whoremongering.  These so called researchers work at a bastion of independant left wing thought that is brought on by liberial individuals so smug with them selves that they cannot pass in front of a mirror without gazing at their own reflection.

All the more reason to SMACK a DEMOCRAP
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 6:07:28 PM EDT
[#34]
I hate it when someone miss uses statistics like this, but you have to remember that it was done during the Clinton years.
Where did they get a list of 800 gun owners to call?
At what time of day did they call?
What were the exact questions that they asked?
I think that the 27.1% that refused to answer were the smartest ones.
800 owners is not a very large sample and my experience is that liberals drink 3 to 4 times as much as gun owners.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 6:18:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Imbro...yet another in your list of insightful posts.

Why were you not at the BRC?
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 6:29:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Man No One even knows who Imbroglio is??? No one has ever seen him... No one knows what he does.. No one knows anything about him...

That is the one Unsolved Mystery of AR15.com

Ben
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 6:34:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I can't afford beer because I have to buy ammo instead for my rapid fire rifles [:D]
View Quote

You might be joking, but I have actually stopped buying beer so that I could buy more ammo. I can load 200 rounds of 9mm for the price of a case of Miller. [beer]
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 6:38:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't afford beer because I have to buy ammo instead for my rapid fire rifles [:D]
View Quote

You might be joking, but I have actually stopped buying beer so that I could buy more ammo. I can load 200 rounds of 9mm for the price of a case of Miller. [beer]
View Quote

I am trying to quit smoking for the same reason.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 7:42:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
"have a gun for work"
does that mean LEO
View Quote

That may explain the binge drinking. Gods knows we like to throw back a few cold ones before we "buss a cap" [beer]
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 8:13:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Devilsadvocate said, “No person in their right mind would answer questions like that from someone calling on a "random" basis. Or is it just people in the South who arent so bright that they would?”

Dem’s fight’en words pard’nr. Ask you to retract that flame.

Now I can talk about what I came here to talk about.

You guys that are cutting down this survey are not looking at it in the proper way. Consider this.

Survey said, “After other factors had been held constant, gun owners who reported multiple episodes of binge drinking in the previous 60 days were more likely than other gun owners to own an automatic or semiautomatic (Table 1).”

Now consider that “Lt. Governor (Connecticut) M. Jodi Rell is ‘stunned’ at the 457 percent increase in national gun sales since Sept.11.”

[url]http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=4573114&BRD=1281&PAG=461&dept_id=7571&rfi=6[/url]

And consider that “Democrat (Cynthia McKenny, D-Ga.) Implies Sept. 11 Administation Plot”

[url]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A34565-2002Apr11.html[/url]

Now, if it’s true that Bush and Company had their finger in 911 (still being investigated(?)), then we can combine all the above and have…

“After other factors had been held constant, it appears that Bush and Company were responsible for both an increase in gun sales and an increase in binge drinking since Sept. 11”
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 8:27:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Good grief, where to start?  Semi-auto owners...hmmm. So everyone with anything as simple as a 10/22 is part of this "study" (I use the term loosely).

There are three kinds of lies...lies, damned lies, and statistics.

I am so tired of this shit.  I almost wish our opposition would just grow a friggin pair already and come after us.  At least we could get the record straight once and for all.

BTW, I'm a semiauto owner.  BTW, I've had a few beers tonight.  BTW, Kiss my ass and come and get 'em you worthless commie shitbags.  Yep, that means you too for any and all feds that may be watching the threads.  You want them so bad?  Come and F@in take 'em, because I've had them for a long time and haven't hurt a soul, nor will I, so long as you leave me the hell alone.  Choice is yours.

Did I mention I'm tired of this shit?

Mike
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 9:21:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Thats complete bullshit...

Credible? HA!

No person in their right mind would answer questions like that from someone calling on a "random" basis. Or is it just people in the South who arent so bright that they would?

Also, I find it INCREDIBLE that they were finding fully-automatic weapons, much less people admitting that they had one..to a stranger yet...In the amount they had listed.

This is non-credible bullshit.
View Quote

i do as much as possible to screw up their surveys.

Phone Dork : Do you own guns?
Me : yes

Phone Dork : How Many?
Med : Zero

(sometimes they catch this)

Phone DOrk What Kinds?
Me : Electric(battery), Air, Water, C02.
-- to clarify to ar15.com--
Electric = battery operated foamdisk thrower
Air = Pellet Rifle
Water = Squrit Gun
C02 - paintball
-- never told them what i meant.. --

Phone dork (gettig the hint im not gonna be helpful) : Sir, your not taking this serious are you?

Me : Of course i am, i want the people to be safe. now continue

Phone Dork : What calibers?

Me : Dumb, Stupid, Idiot, Average, SO-SO (at this point i hear a groan) , Intellegent, MORON TELEMARKTER, Lethal.

(at this point they just hang up because i wasnt being helpful)

i love messin with surveys and wasting their time.

Link Posted: 6/29/2002 9:49:49 PM EDT
[#43]
I thought four drinks in one sitting was called "lunch".
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 10:15:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How did they define it?

View Quote

Maybe you should read the paper for the answers?
Not that difficult.
Are you familiar with the term "correlation?"
View Quote

If you are going to be a smart ass maybe you should phase your first sentence as a question.[b]"Maybe you should read the paper for the answers"[/b]seems like a statement not a question. May I suggest[b]"Did you read the article?[/b]

I did briefly review the paper. Yes I did miss the definition they used for binge drinking . However, the article stated "[b]We assume that some third variable explains the association, because it is doubtful that binge drinking causes an individual to purchase a certain type of firearm or that owning a particular type of firearm causes one to drink heavily.[/b] They even state that there is no causation between drinking and choice of weapons. They  do list several references concerning the effect of drinking but they do not address the affect of drinking on the owners of semi-auto weapons.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 6:30:08 AM EDT
[#45]
So that's what the reason for the survey was about. I could have told them that and saved the school lots of money. Some guy just got his Doctorate for that Paper. No relationship to anything another person who doesn't own a gun does. People drink for lots of reasons and own lots of things.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 6:44:45 AM EDT
[#46]
So thats what a picatinny rail forend is for -   mounting a cup holder!!!  [50] [beer]
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 7:00:53 AM EDT
[#47]
A random dial up poll?  Who here would tell a stranger on the phone that they had any guns?  Noone?  Really?  Oh, wait, maybe you're a binge drinker, so you'll tell anyone your problems!  

So they classify binge drinkers as those who've binged once in the last 60 days...isn't that most of the American male public?  This study is so pathetic I can punch holes in it all day!
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 7:04:41 AM EDT
[#48]
I wonder what the correlation is between binge drinking and car ownership?(automatic or manual)

I wonder if I could get a gov. grant to find out?
Then I could pay myself $200,000 and call 800 people one weekend to find out. [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top