Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2002 6:48:26 AM EDT
Apparently the gov. brainwashing camps are working. Any predictions on what sort of gun rights we'll be able to exercise in 25 years?

Forty-one percent of U.S. teens say they know someone who has been shot and 71 percent are in favor of tighter handgun control, according to a poll released Thursday by the Child Welfare League.

The 17-question Teen Gun survey, initiated by Uhlich Children's Home in Chicago, was distributed to more than 1,000 12- to 19-years-olds and broken down according to gender, age, region and ethnicity.

The National Rifle Association questioned the validity of the survey and suggested it was driven by a political agenda.

"This nationally representative poll should grab the attention of adults because it indicates that teens want to be heard on issues affecting their security," said Thomas Vanden Berk, Uhlich's president and executive director.

Uhlich's ``Hands Without Guns Initiative'' created the survey, which has a margin of error of plus or minus 3 percentage points. The Joyce Foundation of Chicago funded the third-annual survey.

Present for the release of the survey results were Fred Long, 22, and five other teen-agers and young adults affiliated with ``Hands Without Guns.''

"We have lost the innocence of youth," Long said.

NRA spokeswoman Kelly Whitley said the results would be more credible if they came from an unbiased source, such as the Department of Justice.

"It is tantamount to a survey being commissioned by WorldCom and authored by Arthur Anderson saying, `Corporate responsibility is at all all-time high,'" Whitely said.

Although 40.9 percent of all the respondents said they knew someone who had been shot, 60.3 percent of black teens knew someone who had been shot. Of the white teens, 33.8 percent said they knew someone who had been shot.

Lorraine Washington, 15, said Chicago had the leading homicide rate for 2001.

"The survey does not solve the problem. It lets America know that there are too few educated teens and too many guns. When 36 percent of teens say that teens could get a gun if they really wanted to, then that's a wake-up call for America. If America is the land of the free and the home of the brave, then why do we let guns hold us hostage?" she said.

Megan Greenberg, 14, said: "I deserve to live in a safer community. I have the right to go to a party or to the mall without being shot. Do not live in denial. The guns get to young people because adults make and sell them. We are afraid of gun violence in our homes, streets, and neighborhoods and around our schools because there are too many teens that can get guns too easily."

On the issue of school safety, 86.3 percent of teens did not agree that teachers and principals should be able to bring handguns into school to protect students and 47.7 percent said metal detectors did not make schools safer.

Claude Robinson, the director of Community Support Programs at Uhlich said, "It is four to five times more likely for a 15-year-old to die as a result of firearms in the U.S. than anywhere else in the world. We need to promote life instead of manufacturing death."

Tytannie Harris, 21, said: "So why wait for another tragedy? So many teen deaths don't even make the papers. And 63 percent of teens already think there are already too many guns available in society."
View Quote

[url]http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/mld/ledgerenquirer/news/politics/3558562.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 6:51:19 AM EDT
[#1]
..majority of teens uneducated....
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 6:55:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 6:58:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hmph.  Well 100% of the people surveyed in the DVD household consider that complete BS.
View Quote

Yeah, their survey probably wasn't as objective as it could have been. ha ha.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 6:59:17 AM EDT
[#4]

It is tantamount to a survey being commissioned by WorldCom and authored by Arthur Anderson saying, `Corporate responsibility is at all all-time high,'" Whitely said.
View Quote

Ok..ok...that was almost funny...

NRA spokeswoman Kelly Whitley said the results would be more credible if they came from an unbiased source, such as the Department of Justice.
View Quote

[b]ROTFLMAO[/b]
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 6:59:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Teenagers:

Isn't this the same group of people who think Christopher Columbus sailed across the Pacific ocean in the Mayflower and landed at the Statue of Liberty in 1776?

Link Posted: 6/29/2002 7:00:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 7:13:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Also keep in mind that today's teens are influenced more by what they see on TV and the movies than anything else. Their opinions come from others who they think are "cool" and thus they share that opinion so they can be "cool".

Let's face it, right now most of mainstream liberal hollyweird is anti-gun. I know, I work in the TV and movie business. If one of today's "hunky"  actors comes out against guns then you can take it to the bank that all the frosted hair, effeminate teens will follow suit.

I quote Moe Sizlack from the Simpsons:
"The whole modern world has a sorta "swishifyin'" effect on kids today..."
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 7:16:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Based on my experience (as a recent ex-teenager =) I'd say the survey sounds pretty accurate. But I think most teens aren't really strongly against guns - it's just that their exposure to firearms is limited to hearing about, or, God forbid, participating in gang/drug-related violence. So it's only natural that the majority of teens ends up adopting an attitute of guns-are-only-for-violence / who-needs-them-anyway...

IMHO the best way to change this attitude would be to try to expose more teens to firearms in a safe, responsible environment (in my NY town it is relatively rare for a teenager to have any first-hand experience with guns at all...). I think a lot of teens would change their minds about guns if they understood more about the responsible use of firearms for self-defense, and the safe (and fun!) shooting sports...

I don't like how the article connects "people being shot" and "tighter handgun control," as if stricter gun laws would lead to fewer people being shot... Thankfully many of the teenagers I know are smart enough to understand the reality (most guns used in crime are illegally posessed), as long as someone takes the time to point it out to them.

Edited to add that: we need to make absolutely clear to young people that there is a distinction between "guns" and "gun violence," the same way we distinguish "cars" and "reckless/drunk driving..."
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 7:22:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

IMHO the best way to change this attitude would be to try to expose more teens to firearms in a safe, responsible environment (in my NY town it is relatively rare for a teenager to have any first-hand experience with guns at all...). I think a lot of teens would change their minds about guns if they understood more about the responsible use of firearms for self-defense, and the safe (and fun!) shooting sports...
View Quote

Good point!

Ya' know, when polls about teen pregnancy come out sayin 69% of teens have sex and 45% know another teen who got pregnant, the liberals all cry that this shows we need more "safe sex" education in schools.

Time to turn the tables!

[b]What THIS survey shows is that teens are desperately ignorant of the facts of gun safety  and that we need to begin intense "firearms safety" classes and programs in our schools!

It's for the children![/b]

Link Posted: 6/29/2002 7:52:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
..majority of teens uneducated....
View Quote

who are they asking? Inner city school kids who are biased by liberal teachers?
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 8:03:37 AM EDT
[#11]

Claude Robinson, the director of Community Support Programs at Uhlich said, "It is four to five times more likely for a 15-year-old to die as a result of firearms in the U.S. than anywhere else in the world. We need to promote life instead of manufacturing death."

View Quote

Gee....Yeah maybe this makes sense to some people since we are one of the few countries that allow our people to arm themselves. On the otherhand, is anyone really going around and counting all the kids in Africa and Somalia and everywhere else that dies from guns?? And besides it specifically said "15 year olds" well how in the hell in other countries where they can't even read or write yet someone is supposed to know they are exactly 15?!?!?!

Just another BS liberal survey. Oh well, all it does is fire me up to get as many younger people exposed to the finer art of firearms as I can.....
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 9:19:35 AM EDT
[#12]
What do you expect from the current generation of people. We have 8 years of the most anti-gun president in the history of the USA. All they know about guns is what they see on liberal produced TV show & movies and read about in newspaper.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 9:33:57 AM EDT
[#13]
1000 people is not a meaningful poll, especially if you come from hands without guns (hands probably already holding too many crack pipes), and choose inner-city schools whose only exposure to guns are through gang violence.

Blame this on gun-control! Without exposure to the gun culture in these bastions of disarmament, they warp like this! Unaware that the gang violence takes place in a supposedly "gun-free" zone!
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 9:55:59 AM EDT
[#14]
I know some polls are intentionally slanted. I have seen them from time to time. A group against something will put out a poll that says something like "Do you think criminals shouldnt be able to have guns ?" or "Do you think that people should have to know how to use a gun to own one ?". Then, when they tally it up, putting yes on either question is counted as supporting more Gun Control.

What is even worse is when they slant ballots as the state of Florida does all the time (for amendments/revisions.) I remember an actual ballot issue during the last election that said something of the effect "To protect the environment and keep our children safe..."...more bs..."do you approve unlimited ad valorum property taxes ?". It passed, needless to say because who could vote against the children, except myself who voted NO.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 10:03:36 AM EDT
[#15]
i don't know about you guys but I don't know anyone whos gotton shot and either did any of my friends when i was 15, sounds like they went to the worst part of town and did this.  
Probably worded the question like this, "you probably know someone who has gotton shot right? do you think it is ok for that person to have a gun?" then if they say no they say there is one who is for gun control.

well it sure looks like were turning into a nation of pussys.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 10:03:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 10:10:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 10:11:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
i don't know about you guys but I don't know anyone whos gotton shot and either did any of my friends when i was 15, sounds like they went to the worst part of town and did this.  
Probably worded the question like this, "you probably know someone who has gotton shot right? do you think it is ok for that person to have a gun?" then if they say no they say there is one who is for gun control.

well it sure looks like were turning into a nation of pussys.
View Quote

I live in Harlem and I don't know anyone who's been shot! I suppose it's because I keep myself clean. Hang out with druggies, don't be suprised if half of them turn up dead.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 10:37:12 AM EDT
[#19]
You all should be proud that the leaders of tomorrow are being conditioned to accept and will even want more restrictions on constitutional rights.

The Republic is lost.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 10:42:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Hmph.  Well 100% of the people surveyed in the DVD household consider that complete BS.
View Quote

I agree.  Everyone I know in my hometown (the country) hate any gun laws and the few people I have met in my new home (the city) tend to agree with the country folk.

Keving67
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 10:43:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Roger That !!!!

My 10 year old girl completely disagrees, and she's the only teen I know of who's opinion means anything to me.

Jay
[img]http://www.commspeed.net/jmurray/images/iroc-cop.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 10:47:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You all should be proud that the leaders of tomorrow are being conditioned to accept and will even want more restrictions on constitutional rights.

The Republic is lost.
View Quote

[img]http://home.wi.rr.com/antigov/flag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 10:57:09 AM EDT
[#23]
I blame it on gang violence and rap music.
I also blame MTV.

Bad parents (usually single ones) let their kids watch TV w/ no supervision. I dont care if their kids are 18. You need an Archie Bunker sitting there with them, doing the commentary.

I took my nephew downtown a few months ago and showed him all the "losers", "scumbags", "pukes" and "shitbirds" that I could find. I told him that he was going to end-up like them if he does drugs, joins a gang, doesnt learn proper English and watches too much TV.

I REALLY put a seed into that kids head that he will HOPEFULLY remember for the next 15 years.

My nephew is 6. My sister is now incredibly pissed at me for teaching him about things "he doesn't need to know about yet." Screw her!!! (not in the Arkansas way)...

If she ever lets me take him out again, I will bring him shooting =)

Link Posted: 6/29/2002 10:58:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Sorry if I use someone's sig without permission...

IIRC, I saw someone quoting something like "If a 18 age old person isn't liberal he / she has no heart - If a person by age of 30 isn't conservative, that person has no brain".

Link Posted: 6/29/2002 11:02:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Sorry if I use someone's sig without permission...
View Quote

?? Are you the dude whos been emailing me telling me I stole his colt signature?

Link Posted: 6/29/2002 11:49:19 AM EDT
[#26]
When my son was a teen , he thought of " tighter gun control" was shooting smaller groups.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 11:51:49 AM EDT
[#27]
[?]

Nope...I found the quote interesting while I was playing over the general discussion forum. I can't remember who posted it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 12:00:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Teenagers from 13-17: Who gives a shit, for the boys knock some sense into their thick skulls, for the girls kep them playing with their Barbie dolls and Eazy-Bake ovens....

For the teenagers from 18-19, well, just how many 18-19 year old teenagers do you know who can figure out how to even vote? I know plenty of them, if 1 out of 20 can figure it then they are doing well.

If "teenagers" really wanted something (18-20 year olds allowed to drink for instance) they would group together and vote as a block.

Too bad 99.9 percent of them want nothing more than the latest gang-banger wanna-be CD, MTV, an O'yental car with a 4 inch exhaust and 24 inch sub woofers and to wear FUBU clothes and a ballcap worn backwards...Oh yea, and a set of low rider hip hugger pants for the chicks (perfect for the fat ugly ones who now have more of a belly overhang than I do).

Parents need to knock the living shit out of their kids every now and then.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 1:27:20 PM EDT
[#29]
The results of this "survey" is not surprising at all. most of the kids that feel opposite of the "majority"  in this case are not the one participating in the survey, the simple fact that its voluntary is a reason why they do not participate in it. its exactly the same with phone surveys. more conservatives simply hang-up the phone than participate, its the same case with more conservative teen's they simply have no reason to waste time on a survey. and those that simply aren't informed are usually turned off by very aggressive anti-teenage thinking by most adults(ie USNjoe) and don't become enlightened until later in life( 1 reason why more conservatives are older.)  

p.s. most parents should knock the living shit out of their kids every and then. but I have no complaint with chicks wearing low rider skinfit pants, I find it.......quite pleasant actually
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 1:33:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 2:20:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Megan Greenberg, 14, said: "teens that can get guns too easily."

View Quote

[url]http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/mld/ledgerenquirer/news/politics/3558562.htm[/url]
View Quote

Yep, I was 19, picking that AR-180B up from the gunstore and sticking it in the backseat with that .30-06.

Here's the really funny thing.

I spent 2 years at a Catholic high school, and 2 years at the Alabama School of Math and Science in Mobile (number 8 in the country when I graduated)

Funny thing was, in my standard school and with the public school kids, many didn't like guns or hunting.

But when I went to the school with some of the best students in the nation, most everybody liked guns.

hmmmmmm.....
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 2:41:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Remember, they took this poll in the city. I live in a town in the mountains, that only has about 400 people, and the kids here take their hunting rifles to school during hunting season.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 2:51:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Somewhere out there is a yearbook (1979) with me next to my locker in Junior High School. I was 15.

I am holding a Browning shotgun. Next to me, in the locker, were a few boxes of shells. I brought the gun to school on the bus almost every week at one point.

I wasnt a terrorist or a gangbanger. I belonged to the schools' sporting clay club.

Times have changed.

What do we have now that we didnt have then?

More SHITBIRDS.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 3:20:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
[red]You all should be proud [/red]that the leaders of tomorrow are being conditioned to accept and will even want more restrictions on constitutional rights.
View Quote

"You all"?!? [rolleyes]

Sooooo... WHY is this something for US to be "proud" of???
Quoted:
The Republic is lost.
View Quote

Actually, it's more like the "Republic" is just becoming a "Democracy".

It's just the evolution of a society, right?
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 3:36:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[red]You all should be proud [/red]that the leaders of tomorrow are being conditioned to accept and will even want more restrictions on constitutional rights.
View Quote

"You all"?!? [rolleyes]

Sooooo... WHY is this something for US to be "proud" of???
Quoted:
The Republic is lost.
View Quote

Actually, it's more like the "Republic" is just becoming a "Democracy".

It's just the evolution of a society, right?
View Quote

The "Republic" was lost in 1865.[:O]
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 3:38:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Hitler said,

"Let me control the textbooks, and I will control the state."

The Democrats clearly want to follow in hiis footsteps, they even modeled our gun contol laws on those of Hitler's Germany.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 4:14:03 PM EDT
[#37]
I still want to know where they found this:

40.9 percent of all the respondents said they knew someone who had been shot

Link Posted: 6/29/2002 4:21:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 4:23:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm a teenager and im gonna wear my new shirt to school next year. It says "politicians prefer unarmed peasants, buy a gun piss off a liberal!"
View Quote

You will probably get suspended.
View Quote

But we have the first amend..... Never mind.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 4:47:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm a teenager and im gonna wear my new shirt to school next year. It says "politicians prefer unarmed peasants, buy a gun piss off a liberal!"
View Quote

I remember back in 1990 when I was in high school and I wore a Dead Kennedys t-shirt that had ol' john's noggin in the crosshairs. My teachers said it was in bad taste... today's teachers would have my ass expelled.

I say tread lightly in this issue, there are ways to make allies and ways to make enemys... your shirt may do both.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 4:49:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 5:04:25 PM EDT
[#42]
"We need gun control, but I don't know what kind!"
View Quote

That's when you say the old tried and true:
"The only gun control that works is using both hands"

Heh...
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 9:14:17 PM EDT
[#43]
I knew several people who got killed or hurt by guns...yet, I do not hate guns. BTW, IIRC I will be 20 in a couple months. I voted in 2000 and I damn well got the ballot right, unlike 20K+ idiots in this state (the same idiots who voted to allow counties "to close the gun show loophole").

I had a babysitter when I was small. Her husband was shot dead over a parking space. now, I think what if he'd had a gun...perhaps the other guy would have been dead. There was a 2 girls when I was in High School. Their mother's ex violated  a restraining order and killed them all. He shot and stabbed them all until they were dead. But, if the mother had a gun...perhaps her ex would have been dead instead of her and her 2 daughters.

I was watching a show the other night with various serious crimes...one case a guy broke into a home threatening to kill and the woman managed to lure him into her husband's room where she grabbed her husband's gun. All seemed like it was going to end well...except she didn't know it needed to be cocked in order to fire and the punk simply shot her...then kidnapped one of the children. If her husband had only taught her how to shoot his gun...While running from the police the guy handed the little girl he kidnapped the gun and told her to load it or he'd kill her. He then used it to shoot at police. Now, if the little girl had been taught to shoot that would have been a deadly mistake.

As far as myslef...I have always liked guns. But, my uncle was the one who first introduced me to responsible gun ownership. Man, my mom got pissed when he handed me an (unloaded) gun to show me how it operates...I was fortunate enough to get a chance to visit him last fall and we went out to shoot my guns. It was the first time I'd gotten to see him that I was able to bring my guns. Unfortunately, it was the last. According to HCI, et al. as a gun owner he should have been killed by a gun. But, instead he was killed by a sharp tool that accidently fell and hit him in an artery (household accident).
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 9:54:45 PM EDT
[#44]
The good thing would be that they are just teens and can't own guns anyway,the bad thing is they might keep these ideas up into the years when they can actually own or vote against the owning of guns.

But being teens maybe between now and the time they get old enough to vote(god forbidding)something will happen in their life to change this foolish fixation.

Bob
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 10:02:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Teenagers:

Isn't this the same group of people who think Christopher Columbus sailed across the Pacific ocean in the Mayflower and landed at the Statue of Liberty in 1776?
View Quote

That and that the in 1945, Charles Lindbergh flew the Marx Bros. Airplane around the world on a thimblefull of corn oil and helped the Union win the Civil War.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 10:12:07 PM EDT
[#46]
I fail to see how one survey in a inner-city school represents all the Nation's youth?

If you do your survey in the most liberal places, you'll get liberal results.  Stands for any age group...

I mean give me a break, if we only held the Presidential election in the area they surveyed Gore would have won by 80% too...
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 12:02:48 AM EDT
[#47]
I am a teen in a rural area, and my friends and I are not as shallow as you think. I am an NRA member, a WAC unior member, and proud owner of 6 guns. Also, to my knowledge nobody I know has ever been shot. Maybe because they usually shoot the bad guy before he shoots them. I stand strongly for our constitutional rights. Is your ranting against teenagers going to make them vote in a few years to protect your right to keep and bear arms? Am I supposed to believe that when you were a teenager you were any better than kids these days? I think your parents probably felt the same way about your generation as yours feels about mine.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 12:13:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 12:23:57 AM EDT
[#49]
They thought my black rifle was really great. They'd LOVE full auto. I don't mean to dis on everyone for their low opinion of teens. If you don't like people my age, you know who you are, and YOU are the ones I don't like.

I am an opinionated and stubborn person, and I'm an idealist. This is why I never waiver in my support of Constitutional rights. Sometimes I p!$$ people off.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 12:39:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top