Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 6/29/2002 6:43:06 AM EDT
On the shoulder, the bike lane, or using the middle of the lane?

What about multi-user bike paths? Are these any better?
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 6:46:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I think bicyclists should have to:

Get a biker's license
Have insurance
Have bikes inspected annually
OBEY TRAFFIC LAWS

Scott

Link Posted: 6/29/2002 7:08:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Just remember, cyclists *are* just like motor vehicles when it comes to their rights and responsibilities.  They have the same access to the roadways as motor vehicles, with certain exceptions.  That includes use of the *full* lane if needed, left-turn lanes, etc.  Sadly, too many cyclists don't even have a clue, though.

You ought to try it some time.  You'd realize what dick-heads many auto drivers are, but you'd have some fun and get some great exercise.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 7:15:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Just remember, cyclists *are* just like motor vehicles when it comes to their rights and responsibilities.  They have the same access to the roadways as motor vehicles, with certain exceptions.  That includes use of the *full* lane if needed, left-turn lanes, etc.  Sadly, too many cyclists don't even have a clue, though.

You ought to try it some time.  You'd realize what dick-heads many auto drivers are
View Quote

Yep, and when bikes start paying taxes on their tires, have to buy tags, have to buy insurance, and obey the rules and laws of the road, I will give them the respect they deserve.  Riding AGAINST the flow of traffic is illegal and stupid to boot, as one example.  

The only thing dumber than "bikers" are pedestrians.  Too dumb to drive, too dumb to stay home!  Walking in the road will get you killed!  5000 people per year find out that lesson the hard way.

[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/angryfire.gif[/img]

Link Posted: 6/29/2002 7:21:02 AM EDT
[#4]
bike riders are like gun owners...

it's the bad ones that make it real sh!tty for the rest of us, as somehow it is the only "type" anyone ever really "see's" or hears about.

I will admit that if you get a pack of riders and to hell with everything else if there is one of the idiot types amongst them...
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 7:26:59 AM EDT
[#5]
No I don't.

I use the middle of the lane when I'm turning left:
What a concept.

I use the edge of the road unless there is some sort of obstruction or debris on the edge of the roadway.

I don't use paths because
1) There are no paved bike paths around here, and
2) People in motor vehicles are more co-operative with cyclists than pedestrians.

I do everything I can not to impede traffic, but because of certain road conditions or obstructions, sometimes I have no choice.

It's usually very temporary, like a car on the side of the road, or a chuck hole, so most drivers are very understanding.

It's only the one or two idiot drivers out there I have to be on the look out for.

Jay
[img]http://www.commspeed.net/jmurray/images/iroc-cop.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 7:32:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I think they're a hazard in Houston...in addition to thinking that anyone nuts enough to ride a bicycle in Houston traffic deserves a wide berth.
Imagine if you will a city that 8 - 9 months of the year it's 88 - 100 degrees, with about 95% humidity, there are 100's of thousands of third world immigrants here who've just gotten their licenses to drive (they are from countries where autos were only used by the military or elitists), and the traffic rivals any place in the world (except maybe Bogota at 5 on a Friday
Jeez).

Now wouldn't you want to be in a big ass SUV with the AC blasting and your .45 on the seat under the newspaper listening to the Astros get the hell beat out of em again on the radio? Oops, I think I just described myself driving home from work at 7 pm..when the temperature cools down to 86 or so.....

I have a gal that works for me. Her boyfriend keeps the car and she rides a bike to work. The other night(I had her on night shift...what a hardass I am) she hits a puddle on the way to work and hits the ground, losing skin and getting a concussion and a ligament torn in her shoulder.....Sorry, I just think that bike riders are either masochists or nutcases in Houston.

Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 7:34:48 AM EDT
[#7]
The state of Missouri just ran a big "be friendly to bicyclists" radio and TV ad campaign (that my company helped with the shoot for). I agree with a lot of what the bicyclists have to say, they seem to be unwanted everywhere they ride. The walkers get pissed they are on the sidewalks, the drivers get pissed they are on the streets, and the property owners get pissed they are on the grass. The rednecks around here run them off the road, the yuppies swerve into oncomming traffic fearing the bike rider will scratch their "bimmer", and the teens buzz them at 90 mph in their squirrelled out imports.

As Missouri's ad campaign says: Give them a break! They deserve the road just as much as you do!
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 7:41:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Sorry, I just think that bike riders are either masochists or nutcases in Houston.
View Quote

Yep,

I forgot about the loosing skin part.

Last time I crashed out, my wife kept telling me to go get the gravel out of my hands and legs, but I had other more important priorities, like sewing up my torn jersey and gloves, and fixing my bike so I could ride the next day.

Ever see someone crash out on the Tour de France:

Their support team gets them a new bike, they jump on, and start hammering like hell, only sometimes they realize after the initial pump wears off that they are in some serious shit, and wind up in the back of an ambulance.

Adrenalin does some strange things to a person.

Jay
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 7:46:26 AM EDT
[#9]
let me give you my list of things I do hate in drivers on the road.

1. I'm doing the 55mph limit and there will be some jerk in the land next to me who decides he wants to pull in front of me, but instead of making sure he goes at least 55mph or more in order to prevent the other car(me) from slowing down, this jerk decides it's his privilage to drive only 50mph and make me slow down and drive at HIS speed.

2. About any taxi driver. These dopes don't know how to drive or obey any signs.

3. Drivers who wait for the last second to finally merge into a turning lane.

4. I sometimes make a phonecall or two on my cellphone that last a minute or two when I'm driving, but what's up with these people who have to be on their phones the second they leave their garage until the second they come back home and pull back in their garage. What's so friggin' important???

5. Oh..this is what I really hate.. Two cars who drive side by side and keep the other cars from passing.

6. I almost forgot. Let  me say that when there is an accident or just a patrol car on the OTHERSIDE of the road...you rubber-neckers don't have to slow down to check it out and cause a traffic jam.
Since it's on the otherside of the road in traffic going in the opposite direction, don't worry...just keep on driving.

[b]ArmaLiter[/b]

Link Posted: 6/29/2002 7:53:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Bike riders need to wear protective gear. A Helmet and the wrist, knee, and elbow pads that a properly dressed in-line skater wears. When was the last time you saw one like this though? Probably never. And then they go out there and ride in rush hour traffic. These guys are idiots, or at least just plain stupid.

I am a bicycle and motorcycle rider. The rule of thumb is: He who is the biggest wins.

So learn to stay outta everybody else's way. I'd rather be passive and alive than right and dead (when it comes to traffic matters).
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 7:54:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Armaliter,

I am on the phone a LOT in my car.

Mostly because my boss or the customer "boss" I have to deal with calls me all the fricking time.
I use a "hands free" deal so It ain't nearly as dangerous.

But I do drive too damn fast...
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 7:56:40 AM EDT
[#12]
I use to piss and moan about the bicyclists... then I bought a bike.

Now I ride like the worse of them. [}:D]

Fortunately Portland is one of the most bike-friendly cities in the US. Dedicated bike lanes, dedicated bike paths, and bikes welcome on public transportation. All due to a very militant bike population.

Of course when the rainy season (uh, 11 months of the year) hits again I'm back in the car. [:)]
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 7:58:12 AM EDT
[#13]
I agree to keeping the bikers off the road. They are a hazard in my opinion. But bitchin about somebody on the cell phone, mind your own friggin business. Its not up to you to decide whats important enough to be an the phone all the time. You sound like a whiny ass democrat.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 8:00:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Armaliter,

I am on the phone a LOT in my car.

Mostly because my boss or the customer "boss" I have to deal with calls me all the fricking time.
I use a "hands free" deal so It ain't nearly as dangerous.

But I do drive too damn fast...
View Quote

I didn't mean to vent on those who are making business calls, but those who are just chit-chatting. The hands-free is also a good way to go.
But I do have to wonder, what would business people do if there were no cell-phones?

[b]ArmaLiter[/b]
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 8:07:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Armaliter,

No offense taken man.

My bride does call me too, too much when I'm on the road....

I didn't mean to dog all you bike riders, but it is damn dangerous to ride one in Houston. Our drivers are BAD, our roads are BAD, our bike lanes, if they exist are BAD at best.

I just don't think I would even consider it in Houston....now if I lived in Boulder.....
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 8:16:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You ought to try it some time.  You'd realize what dick-heads many auto drivers are
View Quote

Yep, and when bikes start paying taxes on their tires, have to buy tags, have to buy insurance, and obey the rules and laws of the road, I will give them the respect they deserve.  Riding AGAINST the flow of traffic is illegal and stupid to boot, as one example.  

The only thing dumber than "bikers" are pedestrians.  Too dumb to drive, too dumb to stay home!  Walking in the road will get you killed!  5000 people per year find out that lesson the hard way.

[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/angryfire.gif[/img]

View Quote

I agree most peddle bikers are total idiots on the road. thate this one for example

riding with a friend in his truck we were at a red on the right hand land 3-4 cars back. the light goes green and we get to the intersection THEN this idiot moron biker on the right tries to make a left hand turn (after we have already started accellerating because we are going straight not left or right), the biker didnt make it. his front tire got clipped by the bumper which tossed his bike around and him to the ground. the idiot lived with no injuries. and of couse the truck only had a skuffed bumper. rubbed right out.

the idiot was lucky it was a right lane vehical he tried that on. had it been a left he could very well have been hurt as another car ran him over.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 8:21:04 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm really surprised that so many here seem to hate bicyclists on the roadway. We got plenty of bike riders here in Philly. They don't bother me becuase we ALL pay for the roads in some way and therefore we all deserve to use them.

This I find very desturbing:
Quoted:
I think bicyclists should have to:

Get a biker's license
Have insurance
Have bikes inspected annually
OBEY TRAFFIC LAWS

Scott

View Quote

Scott so becuase YOU don't like something you want the government to come in and regulate and tax it ? Sounds alot like what the antis do to us.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 8:26:38 AM EDT
[#18]
We get a lot of tour groups cycling through western Kansas during the summer months - it looks like a hell of a good way to get dehydtrated, heat stroke, run over, sunburned, or maybe all four, to me. But if that's what they like to do, power to 'em. I just wish they'd stay home during wheat harvest. We've got custom cutter crews with wide loads traveling through on their way to the next job, plus all the locals roading combines & grain carts down the highways, plus, everyone is working very late hours to get the crop in, so aren't always as alert as you'd like during the heat of the day, especially right after lunch. There just isn't a much more dangerous time for cyclists to be out here - yet here they come.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 8:28:31 AM EDT
[#19]
My bride does call me too, too much when I'm on the road....
View Quote
Sounds like someone is hung up in one of those never ending weddings.

I think she is just the "wife" now. Or "the better half", or the "old lady" or "the old bag" or...

LOL, man I really crack myself up sometimes...
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 8:47:32 AM EDT
[#20]
I used to hate em when I lived back in VT, there were so many asshole bike riders there.  Here seems like everyone is considerate.  It think it's because I live in a city now, it's natural selection.  The stupid bike riders are eliminated from the gene pool:-)  I ride my bike to work whenever I can, but I also choose to avoid heavy traffic streets.  As stated before, it's the few bad ones who ruin it for the rest of us.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 8:50:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Why Not!!  I was gonna pass on this one but changed my mind...

State law here gives a bicyclist the same rights and rules as a motor vehicle...   Most of the local "good ole boys" try their damnedest to run us off the road at every opportunity...   I've lessened that threat by carrying my G19 in the center of my back when I ride...   You'd be surprised how many drivers who don't see me and my bike can now see my Glock...

I will concede that too many bicyclists haven't a clue as to where they should ride and how...   I'm for a driver's license for anyone that shares the road...

Now on Cell Phones...    Here's my take:  I had a bumper sticker that said "The Roads would be a safer place if you had that cell phone up your A$$...   Someone ripped it off....

I put between 100 and 200 miles a day on city/county roads and in my opinion, cell phones while driving are the worse hazard out there...  Few drivers seem to be able to handle driving and talking at the same time...   Our biggest danger here seems to be "females with fones"...

At least if a bicyclist crashes into you there's a better chance that you'll live than if you're crashed into by a 4000 pound car with a 400 pound lady on her cell... [argue][:D]
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 9:51:26 AM EDT
[#22]
... I'm sure they find it kind of annoying when I blast the [b]AIRHORN[/b] on my huge 4X4 Chevy truck as a "courtesy" warning just when I'm approaching their rear flank at [b]50MPH[/b]

... Yeah, I think it just asinine that they flirt with that many people, many correcting their children in the back seat, barely in control of their two ton mini-van.

... Now I ain't bashing biking. I have some damned nice and finely tuned bikes but I go to the ski runs or fire trails in the summer for mountain biking and we have literally hundreds of miles of canal roads open to bikes in the beautiful winter months here. On those canal roads you get a much more "rural" setting, no vehicular traffic and exhaust. Nice floral and fauna setting too (really).
Another great benefit from doing canal roads and dedicated urban settings is that it provides much more opportunity form meeting women. I'm serious.

... I get the very real and distinct feeling that those "road warriors" you speak of are as far left, cheese eating, liberals you can find.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 9:57:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Bicyclists are the vermin of the roadway.  Especially on mountain roads.  Trying to have fun on the motorbike or car, you come around a corner at a decent clip and there is some pedal pusher right in the middle of the lane.  A-holes.

If you can't go the speed limit, get off the f-in road.  

[-=(_)=-]
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 10:01:25 AM EDT
[#24]
You guys haven't seen sheet!

Here in Portland OR, our mayor HATES cars.
She's all for the bicyclists here, all laws passed are for cyclists. All money is put into cyclists paths.

Our roads downtown SUCK, the money is going to the cyclists!!

This lady is a joke, she does all of this, and comes to work in a limo!!!!!

They act like they OWN the road!
They don't adhere to the laws, but when a car doesn't follow a law or gets in their way or something, they get mad.

Everyone playing this game is a Hypocrite.

How is anyone supposed to take someone serious if they are a hypocrite??

She will be replaced soon.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 10:03:50 AM EDT
[#25]
They don't bother me much in the city. But man they piss me off when they go out into the rural areas around here. They like to ride alot on two lane twisty winding roads with no shoulders and lots of blind corners. It is something else to come around one of those corners at 50 MPH and have to slam on your brakes because there's a pack of ass helmet wearing dorks in spandex going 5 mph. And of course now you're going 5 mph and almost get hit because the next guy comes around the corner at 50 mph and has to slam on his breaks. Oh, and of course you can't pass. Man I hate those guys.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 10:34:12 AM EDT
[#26]
[>(] Lot of this going on in this thread,,,,,

I think most of you are just jealous that my bike costs more than most of your cars are worth. [;D]

I need to figure out a way of mounting an AR on my bike in case Ratters comes up on me. [img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/biggrinshoot.gif[/img]

Jay
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 11:13:42 AM EDT
[#27]
They gov spends all this money putting in marked bike lanes on the road. What do the bike riders do? Refuse to ride in them because "those areas are full of broken glass" so they ride even farther out into traffic.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 11:57:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Bike riders are THE WORST.  At least they are here in Austin.  I didn't have much trouble with them until I moved here, but here it seems like at least 50% of the bike riders are idiots and menaces on the roads.  At least with cars the dangerous idiots only make up about 5-10% of the drivers, if that.  Sure, there are automobile drivers that aren't courteous or don't go the speed I'd like or are occasionally careless, but the ones who actually go out of their way to be a danger by running red lights and swerving and weaving through heavy traffic are few and far between.  But with bicyclists, the [b]vast majority[/b] run red lights and stop signs.  The vast majority do not use proper hand signals for turning, which given their small size, low visibility, and vulnerable condition, is really important.  Many even do stupid things such as riding against traffic on main streets or weaving in between stopped cars.

I've almost run over more than one cyclist because they were breaking the traffic law and I couldn't see them.  For example, I was approaching a traffic light that was red.  There were two lanes of traffic with cars stopped for a good distance back from the light.  I was in the left hand lane and wanted to get to the right hand lane to make a right turn when I got up to the signal.  I saw a space among the stopped cars, plenty of room for my car, so I signalled and moved over.  I narrowly missed a bicyclist who was zipping down the dotted white stripe between the stopped cars, totally out of my visibility.  Of course he yelled at me and flipped me off.  If that kind of behavior was the exception rather than the rule, I might have a higher opinion of most cyclists.  When I do see a cyclist who is obeying the law, I take care to give them plenty of room and treat with the same respect as any other vehicle on the road.  The sad thing is there aren't many of those type around.  Most cyclists seem to think that the road is their playground and they are exempt from all traffic laws.  They are a menace to themselves and other drivers.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 12:12:14 PM EDT
[#29]
The separate bike lanes are usually more dangerous than the road. First of all, they're usually filled with rollerbladers, joggers, and pedestrians, and they're constantly in the middle of the path, which is too narrow for the traffic and speeds involved with a bike. Second, most bike accidents occur at intersections, as cars lose track of cyclists and turn in front of them. Being in a separate bike lane hides the cyclist until the moment at the intersection, while if you're on the shoulder you're much more visible.

I don't want a separate bike lane, and avoid using them when they're there, unless the other options are even worse. They're for five year olds and people toodling along at 5 mph. It's a mystery to me why the government puts them in, unless it's marketed to the above demographics. I just want a decent shoulder, which works better anyway, since the passing traffic air blast sweeps the shoulder clean.

I also drive a car, and figure my gas and license taxes paid there let me use the road on a bike.

Knee and elbow pads are going to be pretty useless. the major injuries are collar bone, arm, and ribs. (I'm qualified on all counts.)

Hmm, it's a nice day so think I'll go out and piss some of you off now ;-)
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 12:22:19 PM EDT
[#30]
I found myself driving down a fairly busy road recently, with a pack of about 10 cyclists taking up the whole lane. Think they could get single file to allow cars to pass?  Nope. They had created a huge line of about 15 cars going at maybe 15 mph.

After about 3 miles of this shit, I thought that driving right up behind them might get the message across. I originally gave a light toot of the horn and motioned to move the group to one side of the road. Three of them turned around just long enough to give me the finger. I moved in closer. Finally, they were kind enough to move the f*ck over. The one guy who gave me the finger and called me an asshole looked thirsty, so I bounced my Big Gulp off the side of his bike helmet.

He wobbled a little but didn't fall, then I saw him pull over to "enjoy" the beverage I had donated to their ride.

I have no problem with cyclists, hell, I love my mountain bike.....it's assholes I have a problem with( and, I'll be honest, 10 guys in glowing spandex is mildly annoying too).
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 12:25:07 PM EDT
[#31]
If you are going to drive a bike on a public road you should have a Drivers License (or a Learner's Permit), insurance and a license plate on the bike.

99% of the riders I see don't bother me at all. That 1% should have a big [b]"I'm a Dumbass"[/b] sign on their bike.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 2:10:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
They gov spends all this money putting in marked bike lanes on the road. What do the bike riders do? Refuse to ride in them because "those areas are full of broken glass" so they ride even farther out into traffic.
View Quote

True.

Link Posted: 6/29/2002 2:20:53 PM EDT
[#33]
You hit one on my major stressers. Around here we regularly have the damned bikes taking up 75% of the lane, which is a state highway! I can't tell you how many times I've had bikers flag me down to complain about people throwing things( no excuse), yelling things, or coming too close. I usually ask them if they were in the roadway and if so were they travelling the speed limit or close to it.

AZCOP, before you flame me please be aware that I am also a bike cop, so I am not predisposed to dislike bikers or their irritating habits.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 2:32:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
... so I bounced my Big Gulp off the side of his bike helmet.
View Quote

... Would have paid cash or ammo to see that, LOL
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 2:55:39 PM EDT
[#35]
I say that we license cyclists and require that the bikes be registered and tagged, just like cars. Actively enforce traffic laws since these apply to everyone using the road. If a cyclist has an automobile driver's license or CDL, use the same license # for the bicycle license so that any traffic violations committed incur points on their vehicle license(s). A license plate the same size as those on motorcycles would make it easy to report a cyclist driving illegally.

Now, I'm not anti-cyclist - i'm anti-stupid driver. Cyclists seem to think that because they can fit between lanes, they don't have to obey traffic signals. They [b]always[/b] try to pass you on the right when you're stopped in traffic, and I've seen more than a couple get wiped out by a car that happened to be turning into a parking lot - the right rear quarter isn't a place you should have to check before making a right turn from a right lane, after all. People in cars need to realize that the cyclists have as much right to be in the road as they do, and that the speed limit is an [b]upper[/b] limit, not a mandatory speed everyone has to maintain. As far as cyclists on winding back roads are concerned, well, the way I see it is that if you (in a car) have to slam on your brakes for [b]anything[/b] when you enter a blind turn, you're going too fast for the road. If there's a cyclist dong 15mph in front of you, and a car coming towards you in the other lane, you stay in your lane and wait till it's safe to pass - and then only if it's a passing zone. If not, and the cyclist doesn't pull to the shoulder out of courtesy (he's not required to, any more than granny doing 15mph in her Volare would be), then you follow him at 15mph until you come to a passing zone or he leaves the road for whatever reason.

In short, both auto drivers and cyclists have to learn to abide by the traffic laws in place, and respect the other road users.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 3:37:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Wow, a lot of ignoramuses here, but more on that later.

As a road and mountain cyclist, I'll tell you what really gets me- I'll be riding on a curvy, almost never used rural highway and some jerk- off nearly runs me off "his" road, and when he passes, I see the NRA sticker on his rear window and think "What a #*%#'ing tool, I have respect for something he enjoys and yet he'd kill me if he only miscalculated a couple feet or had been drinking two beers"

This is something ignoramuses don't get, it's about having respect for human life. These drivers don't rage nearly as much when it's a woman jogging behind a baby stroller, or when they round a curve and it's a slow moving farm vehicle. Then these same motorists don't like it when a car doesn't properly yield to them if they ever happen to get out of a car and step foot into a crosswalk.

Or, they're doing everything right as they remember from that written driving test twenty years ago in the middle lane on the freeway and a big rig semi blows their doors off at 80. You see, it's all about who's bigger sometimes and being in a "cage" allows alot of anonymous rage to be vented, guiltlessly.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 3:52:00 PM EDT
[#37]
What do the following groups all have in common?

Bicyclists, motorcyclists, auotmoble drivers, OTR truckers, gun owners and talk show hosts.

All have a certain percentage of morons, jerks and a$$holes.  If I had to pick which group that has the largest percentage, I would go with automobile drivers.  OTR truckers would be a close second.

I say that we license cyclists and require that the bikes be registered and tagged, just like cars.
View Quote

I sure hope that never catches on with firearms.

Eddie
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 3:54:14 PM EDT
[#38]
I think all of us have occasionally had a problem with a big rig semi, a pedestrian, a jogger, or a woman with a stroller stepping out into traffic.  But bicyclists are [b]far and away[/b] the worst at breaking traffic laws.  Far and away.  No contest.  Not even close.  That is why people vent all this frustration at them.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 4:01:36 PM EDT
[#39]
But bicyclists are far and away the worst at breaking traffic laws. Far and away.
View Quote

I disagree.  I drive a fair distance each day.  At 10-15 over the posted about 1/3 of the drivers pass me.  About 95 percent of the remaining 2/3s are traveling about the same speed as me.  Those who follow the posted limits are tailgated, honked at and occassionally flipped off.  I realize most don't feel that exceeding the speed limit makes them a "bad" driver, but speeding is no less a violation of the law than running a red light.

Eddie
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 4:02:42 PM EDT
[#40]
I ride my bike to class and back every day (often several times a day). As it is a University, I see almost all of the incredibly dumb antics of some cyclists. Riding on sidewalks, wrong side of the road, running red lights and stop signs, they're just asking to get hit. Most of them haven't ridden a bike since they were 12. I think that one of the real problems here is that parents don't teach their kids the rules of the road when they are on their bikes.

I have some 5000 miles on various bikes, both in the city and in the country, and I have found that the safest way to ride is to pretend that you are a car. Cars are mostly only looking for other cars, and if you're riding on the wrong side of the road or on the sidewalk, they won't see you. Yeah, it takes a little courage to ride some of the streets here, but it's actually pretty safe. I never liked bike paths that much, since they almost never connect where you are to where you are going. There's already a perfectly good street system right in front of your door. And I'm not afraid of getting a little sweaty to get where I'm going. But I do enjoy getting infinite miles to the gallon and being able to diagnose and repair almost any problem in a hour or so with simple tools. And having 3 bikes for less then half the price of one car.

While I'm at it, could someone please tell me what's with those wrist protectors? I had a pair once, and it seems like if you fell, your natural attempt to break your fall with your hands would break your fingers. If you didn't use your hands at all, your face would break your fall. Ouch.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 4:09:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
 They have the same access to the roadways as motor vehicles, with certain exceptions.  That includes use of the *full* lane if needed, left-turn lanes, etc.
View Quote

This may be the law, but it is god-awfully stupid.  When cyclist are side by side and F-up traffic because they don't the common sense/courtesy to get out of the way it should be law that you must hit them.  

You ought to try it some time.  You'd realize what dick-heads many auto drivers are, but you'd have some fun and get some great exercise.
View Quote

I am one of those dick-heads and I freely vocalize my opinions in the above situation.  FWIW, before my bike was stolen I used to cycle.  I never did half the stupid crap I regularly see on the roads.  Not to mention there are some roads that bikers (and pedestrians) have absolutely no business being on.  I never found it necessary to cycle on narrow winding roads with blind turns.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 4:20:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
If you are going to drive a bike on a public road you should have a Drivers License (or a Learner's Permit), insurance and a license plate on the bike.

99% of the riders I see don't bother me at all. That 1% should have a big [b]"I'm a Dumbass"[/b] sign on their bike.  
View Quote

OR

"[b]I'm going to get SOMEONE killed[/b]"
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 4:30:33 PM EDT
[#43]
The one guy who gave me the finger and called me an asshole looked thirsty, so I bounced my Big Gulp off the side of his bike helmet.
View Quote

You could be arrested for assault for an act like that.  If convicted you would no longer be able to participate in the sport we both love.  You do not have to like bikers, just respect there right to the road.  As you know, a couple of @ssholes spoil it for everyone.  You could be attacking one of us (an AR15.comer)who was just pissed off by some @sshole with an airhorn in his 4X4.  You could be attacking one of us.  I am not judging you, I was not there, just replying to the information you supplied.  FYI, hit me with a slurpee and I will return fire. [pistol]

Firearm enthusiast are burdened with restrictive laws that are getting worse by the minute.  Why on earth would you want to have what is done to Gun owners done to bikers is beyond me.  Freedom is freedom, just because it is not something you like does not mean "there aught to be a law against...", that is what the anti's say about us.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 4:50:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Been a bike rider almost forever. Have to agree with those who say there are idots on both sides. It has a lot to do with a person's attitude. A person who's an A-hole will be one in a car or on a bike. Never heard of a case of bike rage though.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 5:09:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

[b][i]OriginallyI say that we license cyclists and require that the bikes be registered and tagged, just like cars.[/b[[/i]

I sure hope that never catches on with firearms.

Eddie
View Quote

I don't see what's wrong with licensing everyone who's using a [b]public[/b] roadway, especially since one mistake or stupid act on the part of one of those users could cost a lot of people their lives. Why require drivers to have licenses, for that matter?
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 5:15:33 PM EDT
[#46]
I don't see what's wrong with licensing everyone who's using a public roadway, especially since one mistake or stupid act on the part of one of those users could cost a lot of people their lives. Why require drivers to have licenses, for that matter?
View Quote

That's the same arguement proponents of firearms licensing use.  Do you really think you can convince the average citizen a bicyle is more dangerous than a firearm?

Eddie
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 6:04:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Back from annoying drivers--30 miles, 2,000 ft of climbing.

Many people riding bikes around a city, especially around college campuses, treat them as a "toy". They haven't ridden since they were kids, and ride bikes like they were on their stingray in their cul-de-sac. It's a change to think of your bike as a regular vehicle. As another guy noted, you should think of yourself as a car in most situations.

Licensing is not that great of an idea. Nothing stops a cop from pulling over a cylist now and ticketing them for breaking laws. In fact, some people get nailed for drunk bike riding, and it goes on their license points, depending on the state. And of course cyclists are also drivers, so their taxes are going to support the roads as well. It would be just another bureaucracy.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 6:24:18 PM EDT
[#48]
I have to agree with those who say there are idiots on both sides of the motorist/cyclist debate. When motorists violate traffic laws they create problems for all other highway users, and when cyclists violate the vehicle code they too, create problems.

If you know the laws, you'll know when a cyclist is disobeying traffic and safety laws, but just because he needs a lane to ride in, or needs to make a left turn from a left lane doesn't mean he is breaking a law. A cyclist's position in a lane is important, it indicates his intentions. When several lanes are going in one direction, he may assume the right, or slow lane. Also, his position more towards the middle of a one lane means you may pass when there is no opposing traffic and it is safe to overtake him, just like he was a slower vehicle. A smart rider will, by his position, let you know when it's safe to pass.

One other thing, drivers who are agressive towards cyclists, try this: Next time you're in a crowd of people and you're walking faster than most, be sure to bully everyone who weighs less than you just like you do to those cyclists on the road. They have no fucking right to get in your way!!!
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 6:43:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
... some @sshole with an airhorn in his 4X4.  
View Quote

That's easy. You don't like my driving habits? Stay off the fucking road with your bicycle. I do.
I only shoot where it is "right to shoot". I don't shoot in your back yard and I don't shoot on highways (unless of course it's required[}:)])
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 6:50:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I don't see what's wrong with licensing everyone who's using a public roadway, especially since one mistake or stupid act on the part of one of those users could cost a lot of people their lives. Why require drivers to have licenses, for that matter?
View Quote

That's the same arguement proponents of firearms licensing use.  Do you really think you can convince the average citizen a bicyle is more dangerous than a firearm?

Eddie
View Quote

No, it's [b]not[/b] the same argument. First of all, we don't have 100 million people with guns out there shooting in the same direction as the people in front of them are, with others shooting across their paths. Secondly, why license cars? Is it really to ensure that only people who've demonstrated the ability to operate a vehicle safely are allowed on the road, or is it just a revenue generator? Why should bicyclists be allowed on the same roads without being required to demonstrate the same ability? Can't they too cause accidents through their ignorance or negligence? (Don't even get me going on the idea of some states passing laws making it legal to use a Segway thingie on sidewalks full of pedestrians.) Lastly, a car (or bicycle) is "dangerous" even when used properly - if you're driving or riding along, obeying all the laws, and another car or bicycle pulls out in front of you at the last minute, you and/or the other person can be hurt or killed even though you (and your car) did noting wrong. That can't happen with guns.

Everyone who [b]uses[/b] the road has to know the rules of the road. The best way to ensure they're followed to require everyone who uses the road to pass a test showing they know the rules, and implement a system where individuals and their vehicles can be identified (driver's licenses and vehicle plates) and the individuals penalized for moving violations. Someone who rides a bike like an idiot will drive a car like an idiot, and there needs to be a way for an idiot bicyclist's "riding record" to appear on his driving record. Hell, in most states [b]boating[/b] law violations will count against your driver's license - why shouldn't all violations of traffic laws count as well?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top