Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/27/2012 11:20:53 AM EDT
Can anyone offer any insight in to where good places to live are, what there is to do, etc?
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 11:25:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Shit hole with shitty roads. Avoid at all costs. Herpes rate there is in the top 10 in the country.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 11:27:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Asshole of VA. Lived in va my whole life and I avoid richmond like the plague on road trips.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 11:29:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Only place worse would be NoVA.

Is this for a job?
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 11:30:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Went there for a conference. Place was a shit hole. Downtown was a barren wasteland. One block in the wrong direction and you are in the ghetto with people yelling in the streets.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 11:30:25 AM EDT
[#5]
City of Richmond no good...
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 11:31:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Went there for a conference. Place was a shit hole. Downtown was a barren wasteland. One block in the wrong direction and you are in the ghetto with people yelling in the streets.

I might have been at the same conference.  Rt 250 out on this side of the state has little in common with the same road in downtown Richmond...    
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 11:32:02 AM EDT
[#7]
High rape rate too. Richmond kind of fucks up Virginia.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 11:36:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Asshole of VA. Lived in va my whole life and I avoid richmond like the plague on road trips.

I live in Richmond and LOVE IT!

Great restaurants, very active outdoors community, tons of history, couple sports teams (they aren't that great) it's one of the top places for retired military (https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/enterprise_retirement_best_places_landing?adID=VURL_bestplaces)

http://realestate.msn.com/slideshow.aspx?cp-documentid=20441328#7

Companies planning to hire in next quarter: 22%
Best job prospects: Construction, durable goods manufacturing, nondurable goods manufacturing, transportation and utilities, wholesale and retail trade, information, professional and business services, education and health services, leisure and hospitality, other services
Population: 192,913
Average home price in January: $167,185
Unemployment rate: 7.8%

Sure there are places to avoid, but that's EVERY city.

What do you wanna know OP?
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 11:36:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Stats please!
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 11:37:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Shit hole with shitty roads. Avoid at all costs. Herpes rate there is in the top 10 in the country.

Care to provide proof?
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 11:39:30 AM EDT
[#11]
there is a difference between "CIty of Richmond" and "Greater RIchmond Area."  The city is like the hole in the middle of a doughnut, with the doughnut consisting of Henrico County, Chesterfield County, and Hanover County.  City of Richmond itself has lots of rough places.  The surrounding area is MUCH larger than the city itself and has lots of nice areas, things to do, etc.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 11:42:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Lol Richmond beginning to sound like Detroit!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 11:44:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It's not that bad.  HR area is WAY worse (Portsmouth, I'm looking at you...)

Edit:  Although the roads really are terrible in the city.  Like, realignment every week or two terrible.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 11:44:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
there is a difference between "CIty of Richmond" and "Greater RIchmond Area."  The city is like the hole in the middle of a doughnut, with the doughnut consisting of Henrico County, Chesterfield County, and Hanover County.  City of Richmond itself has lots of rough places. The surrounding area is MUCH larger than the city itself and has lots of nice areas, things to do, etc.

As do Chester and eastern Henrico.

OP needs to be more specific about "Richmond". Would I suggest living downtown on 18th street, the courts or parts of church hill, hell no!

But the fan, windsor farms, malvern gardens, parts of north side, westover hills, near west end - oh hell yes!
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 11:44:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

To a bunch of cry baby 'omg cities are scary!' tards, yeah.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 11:45:52 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stats please!

http://www.cityrating.com/crime-statistics/virginia/richmond.html

Richmond crime rating is 10 times that of the rest of Virginia. It's neck and neck with Newport News.

I lived in Virginia Beach for 10 years.

Link Posted: 1/27/2012 11:46:52 AM EDT
[#17]
My experience is limited, but positive.

I went to The Tobacco Company one time and it was pretty cool.  Downtown river side historic district with cobblestone streets, lots of trendy shops, etc.  Probably not a part of town you'd go to every day unless you worked there but a pretty cool little tourist trap kind of place.

I also went to see The Black Crowes at VCU - the venue was incredible and the concert was excellent.

I've driven through lots of times (family in PA & NC, lived in both and visited the other frequently) and traffic on I-95 can suck at times.

Seemed not much different than any other city of similar size to me.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 11:46:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
there is a difference between "CIty of Richmond" and "Greater RIchmond Area."  The city is like the hole in the middle of a doughnut, with the doughnut consisting of Henrico County, Chesterfield County, and Hanover County.  City of Richmond itself has lots of rough places. The surrounding area is MUCH larger than the city itself and has lots of nice areas, things to do, etc.

OP needs to be more specific about "Richmond". Would I suggest living downtown on 18th street, the courts or parts of church hill, hell no!

But the fan, windsor farms, malvern gardens, parts of north side, westover hills, near west end - oh hell yes!

Museum District ftw.  My last apartment was a huge 3 bedroom w/ a nice fenced in backyard and off street parking on Park Ave. for $1k a month.  The only thing that would have moved me out of there was buying my own place, which is coincidentally why I moved out of there.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 11:48:27 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not that bad.  HR area is WAY worse (Portsmouth, I'm looking at you...)

Edit:  Although the roads really are terrible in the city.  Like, realignment every week or two terrible.

Portsmouth is poor, but Newport News is where you go if you want to get shot.

Link Posted: 1/27/2012 11:50:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Stats please!

Richmond crime rating is 10 times that of the rest of Virginia. It's neck and neck with Newport News.

So where are your rape statistics?

http://www.homefacts.com/crime/Virginia/Charlottesville-County/Charlottesville.html

Charllotesville has a higher rape % than Richmond

http://www.homefacts.com/crime/Virginia/Richmond-County/Richmond.html

Virginia beach aint that far off

http://www.homefacts.com/crime/Virginia/Virginia-Beach-County/Virginia-Beach.html

Link Posted: 1/27/2012 11:51:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I went to The Tobacco Company one time and it was pretty cool.  Downtown river side historic district with cobblestone streets, lots of trendy shops, etc.  Probably not a part of town you'd go to every day unless you worked there but a pretty cool little tourist trap kind of place.

I also went to see The Black Crowes at VCU - the venue was incredible and the concert was excellent.

I've driven through lots of times (family in PA & NC, lived in both and visited the other frequently) and traffic on I-95 can suck at times.

I 95 traffic does blow

In red QFT
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 11:52:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This is true, I found out first-hand.

I went to college in Williamsburg.

One weekend we drove to Richmond just for fun.  Broad daylight.  This was mid-1980s.

My friends and I were attacked by a gang on Broad Street.  You can take a guess at their ethnicity.

In retrospect, I suppose we were to be their afternoon entertainment.

It didn't work out that way.  I went to a mostly black high school and was well-acquainted with what was happening.

We ended up surviving a pretty big melee.  Not saying we won, but we got out of there under our own power.   Got a few good shots in.

I'm sure Richmond has some decent areas.  

Stay away from the Broad Street area.

Link Posted: 1/27/2012 11:53:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is true, I found out first-hand.

I went to college in Williamsburg.

One weekend we drove to Richmond just for fun.  Broad daylight.  This was mid-1980s.

My friends and I were attacked by a gang on Broad Street.  You can take a guess at their ethnicity.

In retrospect, I suppose we were to be their afternoon entertainment.

It didn't work out that way.  I went to a mostly black high school and was well-acquainted with what was happening.

We ended up surviving a pretty big melee.  Not saying we won, but we got out of there under our own power.   Got a few good shots in.

I'm sure Richmond has some decent areas.  

Stay away from the Broad Street area.

The 80's were a HORRIBLE time for Richmond. Richmond used to rank in the top 10 most dangerous cities. Not so anymore. The last President of VCU did a lot to buy up property in the area and turn it around.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 11:53:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Same as Baltimore, only in Virginia.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 11:54:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great restaurants, very active outdoors community, tons of history, couple sports teams (they aren't that great) it's one of the top places for retired military (https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/enterprise_retirement_best_places_landing?adID=VURL_bestplaces)

Best job prospects: Construction, durable goods manufacturing, nondurable goods manufacturing, transportation and utilities, wholesale and retail trade, information, professional and business services, education and health services, leisure and hospitality, other services

What other cities have you lived in?

Richmond depressed the hell out of me.  Decent restaurants were few and far between, the Short Pump area seemed to be the only place with any development, and it was cookie cutter suburban cliche.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 11:55:10 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I 95 traffic does blow

In red QFT

There is no I 95 traffic in the Richmond area to speak of. None.

traffic on 95 does not exist south of the Rappahannock
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 11:55:41 AM EDT
[#27]
There is a quaint community just 20 mins south of there called Hopewell. You will love it,or get murdered and raped. In that order.

The nice places to live south of Richmond are Chesterfield and Henrico. Ashland is nice too, its more north of Richmond.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 11:56:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Richmond depressed the hell out of me.  Decent restaurants were few and far between, the Short Pump area seemed to be the only place with any development, and it was cookie cutter suburban cliche.

When were you last here? Short pump is a suburban shit hole, WAY too much traffic.

I've lived all over the Richmond area, Pittsburgh and other parts of SW PA.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 11:57:31 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

When were you last here? Short pump is a suburban shit hole, WAY too much traffic.

Haha traffic in Short Pump

Please
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 11:57:34 AM EDT
[#30]
It's a city - parts are nice, parts aren't.   I like to go up there once in a while to go to the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts.  There are some beautiful old neighborhoods in the downtown area.  

There are also some places I wouldn't go without a couple of sideboys and a crew served weapon.  Virginia Commonwealth University is in the downtown area with the usual restaurants and nightlife that cluster around a university.  And as someone already pointed out, there are also good and bad residential communities in the surrounding counties.

I'm pretty happy out here in the sticks, but I wouldn't hesitate to live in the Richmond area if there was some reason - job or whatnot.

Jane

Link Posted: 1/27/2012 11:58:17 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stats please!

http://www.homefacts.com/crime/Virginia/Charlottesville-County/Charlottesville.html

http://www.homefacts.com/crime/Virginia/Virginia-Beach-County/Virginia-Beach.html

A lot of the rapes that happen in Richmond have to do with VCU and they are under reported.

Link Posted: 1/27/2012 11:58:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amen, use to be part of CFD and ran some calls close to the Richmond city line. Just as ghetto as Richmond.

Link Posted: 1/27/2012 11:59:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please

It's not NOVA traffic, but it's more than I'm willing to put up with when I go out there during normal hours.

Link Posted: 1/27/2012 11:59:29 AM EDT
[#34]
It's just like any other big city.   I would live in the suburbs and deal with the traffic and just commute.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 12:01:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I lived in Petersburg in 2003, and was last in Richmond in 2009.  Never spent all that much time up there - just to go to eat, look around, and what not.  There sure as shit isn't anything to do around Petersburg.

If Pittsburgh is what you have as your basis for comparison, I can see why you don't think it is all that bad.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 12:01:49 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please

It's not NOVA traffic, but it's more than I'm willing to put up with when I go out there during normal hours.

Cars are not traffic.

Cars not moving is traffic.

Yeah the intersection of Pouncey Tract and Broad might be fucked up the week before Christmas because of the WalMart traffic, but that's the extent of it

And I've lived in Short Pump for the past 6 months so I know exactly of what I speak.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 12:02:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I lived in Petersburg in 2003, and was last in Richmond in 2009.  Never spent all that much time up there - just to go to eat, look around, and what not.  There sure as shit isn't anything to do around Petersburg.

If Pittsburgh is what you have as your basis for comparison, I can see why you don't think it is all that bad.

I graduated from VSU in 2003. Nothing to do in Petersburg except catch AIDS and buy crack.

Link Posted: 1/27/2012 12:03:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Petersburg is a hell hole
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 12:03:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Stats please!

A lot of the rapes that happen in Richmond have to do with VCU and they are under reported.

Let's be fair though- same could be said for UVA and Charlottesville...
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 12:04:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Stats please!

Rape in general is under reported.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 12:05:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Sure there are places to avoid...

Some of the places I would avoid...the whole damn shithole.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 12:09:19 PM EDT
[#42]
I live in Hampton Roads and travel through Richmond regularly. Both areas suck and are full of AIDS and fail.

West of the I64/81 interchange is nice though. I love SWVA, the NOVA,Richmond, and Hampton Roads suck.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 12:10:08 PM EDT
[#43]
The only thing in Richmond that was good was the Virginia State Penitentiary....But they tore it down.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 12:11:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Petersburg is a hell hole

Of course it is, but this isn't about Petersburg.  It was just while I loved there that I often visited Richmond.

Richmond was so depressing, I often drove to Williamsburg.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 12:15:45 PM EDT
[#45]
City is shit.
The West end is nice.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 12:15:52 PM EDT
[#46]
I was coming back from Lexington, VA one time and decided to take old Route 60 all the way back home.

The drive through places like Appomatox, Buckingham and Cumberland counties was ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL.

Then I got into west Richmond, Midlothian area.  It looked like 1970s ghetto.  The natives had the crazy eyes.  You can tell you're in one hell of a crazy place when they have the crazy eyes.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 12:16:37 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stats please!

Rape in general is under reported.

Ok fair enough.

Link Posted: 1/27/2012 12:19:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
City is shit.
The West end is nice.

If you're going to make a statement, back it up with reasons.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 12:21:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I was coming back from Lexington, VA one time and decided to take old Route 60 all the way back home.

The drive through places like Appomatox, Buckingham and Cumberland counties was ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL.

Then I got into west Richmond, Midlothian area.  It looked like 1970s ghetto.  The natives had the crazy eyes.  You can tell you're in one hell of a crazy place when they have the crazy eyes.

Route 60 in Richmond = ghetto

Route 60 in Midlothian = White suburbia

Link Posted: 1/27/2012 12:21:06 PM EDT
[#50]
I was born and raised in Staunton...lived in Harrisonburg for a year and Charlottesville for 8...still have family in Verona and friends in Richmond...was accepted into VCU but declined because when I visited Richmond it was a shithole...spent a fair amount of time there visiting friends...one friend got shot in the ass with a .22 at the ATM in The Fan, I was jumped by some House of Pain looking mother fuckers walking one night and numerous friends had cars and apartments broken into. Like most cities it has its good and bad parts but I wouldn't live anywhere near there if you gave me a free house. Total shithole and the good parts don't do enough to redeem it as a whole.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top