Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2012 8:12:08 PM EDT
Couple of months ago, I had a week of meetings to attend, and they got us a meeting room at Nellis AFB's Threat Training Facility, otherwise known as the "Petting Zoo".  The reason for the nickname is all of the Comblock/foreign weapons, vehicles, and equipment that is there.  Once, the building needed special access to enter, but now is open to the public for visits, and you can get totally hands on with nearly all of the exhibits.  So, some pics from the Petting Zoo.

This guy is just inside the main lobby.  I still find myself wondering why a flamethrower needs a bipod...

There are several of these display boards in the main lobby, not always labelled correctly, but what the hell.

ALL of the guns are rendered inert.  Some by welding the bolts closed, some by welding the selector on Safe.

These racks are fun, because aside from being tethered down (with a reasonable length cord), they're meant to be picked up and examined in your hands, rather than on a display board.

As you can see, I took some down from the rack so I could get better pics.  And play with them, of course.

MiG-29!  One of two that I know of on base, the other being out at the 65th AGRS building.

MiG-23, right next to the MiG-29.

Whole bunches of nifty stuff out in the yard, and the only item you can't play on is a radar that has some radioactive material in it.

Chapparal.  Not everything out in the yard is enemy gear.

Why, yes, that IS a Hind.

Can't wait til my son is old enough to take to see this stuff.
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 8:18:05 PM EDT
[#1]
The video I just posted has this in it..
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 8:20:10 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Bad timing on my part, I guess.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 8:20:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Seems like they should get some volunteers or something to help maintain all of that shit they've got instead of just letting it rot.
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 8:22:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Seems like they should get some volunteers or something to help maintain all of that shit they've got instead of just letting it rot.

That WOULD be nice.  I'll have to go over and suggest it.  I can't imagine it's a high priority, not likely to get any funding, but volunteers might do the trick.
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 8:23:13 PM EDT
[#5]
thx, cool gear
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 8:23:35 PM EDT
[#6]
That's really cool.  Thanks for sharing.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 8:23:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not really.  I just posted the video about Operation Red Flag at Nellis AFB and it shows the pilots going through the TTF.  I was just thinking what a coincidence this was.  Different topics and I enjoyed your photos.  

Link Posted: 1/25/2012 8:24:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Great timing actually.
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 8:24:32 PM EDT
[#9]
The weapons don't look like they've been lubricated since they were acquired.  It is truly a disgrace, and nothing has changed there in the last 10 years.

G
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 8:26:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not really. I just posted the video about Operation Red Flag at Nellis AFB and it shows the pilots going through the TTF. I was just thinking what a coincidence this was. Different topics and I enjoyed your photos.

It is an odd coincidence.  I'd taken the pics a while ago, and just never got around to posting up the topic until tonight.
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 8:26:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

It is an odd coincidence.  I'd taken the pics a while ago, and just never got around to posting up the topic until tonight.

Pretty neat pictures though, thanks for sharing.

Link Posted: 1/25/2012 8:29:42 PM EDT
[#12]
That's totally awesome and I'd love to go there and fondle that stuff.

A Hind flew over the field beside our house once.  

Uxb did not react well to that.
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 8:32:20 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

That's totally awesome and I'd love to go there and fondle that stuff.

A Hind flew over the field beside our house once.

Uxb did not react well to that.

If they weren't tethered down, I'd have been tempted to grab one of the AKs, go out to the yard by the Hind, raise it overhead and scream "Wolverines!"  
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 8:38:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Letting it rot?  
In Vegas?
You do realize that AMARG is located in geographically the same type of environment and those planes don't "rot".  

Link Posted: 1/25/2012 8:41:36 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Letting it rot?

In Vegas?

You do realize that AMARG is located in geographically the same type of environment and those planes don't "rot".

True, in itself, but they could use a tad more upkeep.  I'm pretty sure, though, that the majority of the rust on the small arms is due to sweaty hands touching them.
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 8:54:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Very interesting.  You say it is open to the public.  How would I go about visiting this place, and where might I find more information about it?  Everything I can find through Google is several years old, and says that a person must have a Secret clearance to enter.  Also, the base website says that clearance is required to enter the base, and that they don't have regular public tours.
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 8:56:22 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Very interesting. You say it is open to the public. How would I go about visiting this place, and where might I find more information about it? Everything I can find through Google is several years old, and says that a person must have a Secret clearance to enter.

It's open admission to anyone who can get on base.  Are you in the .mil?
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 9:00:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It's open admission to anyone who can get on base.  Are you in the .mil?

No.
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 9:08:51 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's open admission to anyone who can get on base. Are you in the .mil?

No.

Have any .mil friends?  Anyone who can sign you onto base?
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 9:12:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Have any .mil friends?  Anyone who can sign you onto base?

I do, but we are all in Ohio.  Do they have to be stationed on the base?
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 9:13:48 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have any .mil friends? Anyone who can sign you onto base?

I do, but we are all in Ohio. Do they have to be stationed on the base?

Nope.  Any active .mil or retiree will be fine.
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 9:15:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Nope.  Any active .mil or retiree will be fine.

Interesting.  I'll have to see if we can organize a road trip sometime.  Thanks for the information.
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 10:25:48 PM EDT
[#23]
I had some friends who worked there.  When I went to see it I got to hear all the cool storys.  The two that stick out the most was one of the Chinese AKs was picked up by LVPD from some gangs and given to the zoo.  The craziest, the Hind pictured, used to be located on an Army post.  Some Army big wig, with a passion for motorcycles, was touring the facility.  He noticed they had two of a certain moto displayed and offered to trade the hind display from his base for the bike, and of course they took him up on the offer.
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 10:28:07 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I had some friends who worked there. When I went to see it I got to hear all the cool storys. The two that stick out the most was one of the Chinese AKs was picked up by LVPD from some gangs and given to the zoo. The craziest, the Hind pictured, used to be located on an Army post. Some Army big wig, with a passion for motorcycles, was touring the facility. He noticed they had two of a certain moto displayed and offered to trade the hind display from his base for the bike, and of course they took him up on the offer.

That's awesome, right there.
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 10:46:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Win. Fascinating. Thanks shade!! When was it opened to the public?
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 11:38:42 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Win. Fascinating. Thanks shade!! When was it opened to the public?

No idea when that change was put into effect, but it's totally visitable now.  M-F, 8-4, IIRC.

Link Posted: 1/26/2012 3:42:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Sometimes I iss the Cold War.  [sigh]

Cool pics.  Thanx.
Link Posted: 1/26/2012 3:45:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Commies love that pale blue paint like inside that cockpit.
Link Posted: 1/26/2012 6:24:44 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Commies love that pale blue paint like inside that cockpit.

It IS rather...garish.  

Link Posted: 1/26/2012 6:48:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Enjoyed the pics.

Why did the USSR choose that awfull green/bleu cockpit interior ? See it in almost every plane.
Link Posted: 1/26/2012 6:57:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Thanks for the pics. A lot has changed over the years. When I went through in the early 80's you had to have a secret clearance, and sign a non-disclosure statement. But we got a nice tour from a USAF intel officer, lots of nice anecdotes about the various displays. When I went through, they had a Mig-15, 17, 19, 21, 23, and 25. We could sit in the cockpit of all except the Mig-25.
Link Posted: 1/26/2012 6:59:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Enjoyed the pics.

Why did the USSR choose that awfull green/bleu cockpit interior ? See it in almost every plane.

According to the intel officer, that shade of green/blue is the most calming color to use in a cockpit, per Soviet research.
Link Posted: 1/26/2012 7:17:31 AM EDT
[#33]
So this is open to the non .mil public?
Link Posted: 1/26/2012 7:20:37 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

If you've got a .mil person to get you on base.  Drop me a line if you're ever in town, I'll see what I can do.

Link Posted: 1/26/2012 7:22:36 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you've got a .mil person to get you on base.  Drop me a line if you're ever in town, I'll see what I can do.

Link Posted: 1/26/2012 7:36:01 AM EDT
[#36]
cool
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top