Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/27/2002 10:44:40 PM EDT
What kind of helmets were the Delta guys wearing?  They certainly weren't k-pots, and they resemble something like what the IDF wears.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 11:16:21 PM EDT
[#1]
the book described them as hockey helmets. I'm sure they were actually something sturdier than plastic hockey helmets though
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 11:20:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I think I saw them being sold in the U.S. Cavalry catalog.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 11:22:36 PM EDT
[#3]

There are two ways to answer this question: MLA
style and AR15.com style.

1)MLA style.

"...Wilkinson was wearing the lightweight plastic Pro-Tech hockey helmet..."(Bowden 140)

Bowden, Mark. [u]Blackhawk Down[/u]. New York: Penguin, 2000.

2)Ar15.com two page discussion.

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=88590[/url]
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 11:23:02 PM EDT
[#4]
My understanding is that they were off-the-shelf hockey helmets to protect there heads from the walls of whatever buildings they went into and allow for maximum mobility.  I don't think fragmentation grenade protection was a factor.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 11:28:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I think I saw them being sold in the U.S. Cavalry catalog.
View Quote

I saw DEVO wearing them in 1979.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 11:37:12 PM EDT
[#6]
gardenWeasel is right. Those helmet are also quite popular with skateboarders... Hmmm, maybe Delta uses skateboards for urban warfare?
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 12:32:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
gardenWeasel is right. Those helmet are also quite popular with skateboarders... Hmmm, maybe Delta uses skateboards for urban warfare?
View Quote

[8D]
My understanding is that they now wear Kevlar pots whenever they think there is a chance they may be shot at. Supposedly they are actively looking for a helmet that is both armored AND crashworthy but they haven't found one yet, or they haven't made it public.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 4:20:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Works for the Marines.
[img]http://members.cox.net/dm79/tetriscamo3.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 4:28:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 6:21:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Yep...Pro-Tec, they were also widely used in the '70's as a helmet for skydiving before the "Frap" or leather "French helmet" or "nothing at all became popular....
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 6:40:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Why even wear something that light?  Just go with a hat at that point.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 6:43:55 AM EDT
[#12]
It protects them from hitting their heads when doing CQB or exiting a vehicle.

Av.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 7:14:05 AM EDT
[#13]
I understand wearing it for a rope in but then I'd ditch it on the ground.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 7:16:47 AM EDT
[#14]
They are called Pro-Tec half shells and run about $40.  They are same ones the SEALs use only they don't come down over the ears.  We used the same ones in SAR (unless gunfire was a factor).

There were some valuable lessons learned about Pro-Tecs as a result of Somolia.  One is that they are fine for permissive environment work, not combat.  So you're not likely to see them used in that role anymore.  The Gallet side cut is becoming the norm.

-SARguy
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 9:05:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I understand wearing it for a rope in but then I'd ditch it on the ground.
View Quote
As Avalon01 said, it's good for protecting your head from bumping into stuff.
It's a judgment call to use Pro-Tech type helmets over kevlar. The Pro-Tech's give you better sense of sound and mobility, and if you're racing through a CQB drill that might be more important than the added protection from kevlar. Remember, these guys are counting on having the initiative and overrun the bad guys before they have a chance to react.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 9:33:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Helmets such as those provide confidence, as well as protection.  Just like the knee pads.
When you're all padded up, it's almost fun to dive behind cover.  
It eliminates hesitation.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 1:51:15 PM EDT
[#17]
I found a web site on the pro-tech combat helmets.
[url]http://www.specwargear.com/helmet-1.html[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top