Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2002 8:23:22 PM EDT
I just got the timing belt service done on my BMW (85-325e). (4 year or 50K mile service)

My question is, is it normal for the new belt to have a whine to it?  Its not loud, but I could notice it. The best way I could describe it is it sounds sorta like a supercharger belt whine.

Thanks,
Bob
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 8:31:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I've heard it before. Usually the belt is adjusted a bit tight and will stretch a bit and quiet down. Should be gone in a day or two. Your mileage may vary [;)]

Your concern is normal and your mechanic is trying to compensate for a bit of break in. You and your BMW should be fine.

Link Posted: 6/27/2002 9:05:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Not to be the pessimist, but the timing belt on my '84 Honda whined for a few hours after it was replaced — until I popped the hood and noticed that it was eating its way out of  the belt cover! Seems they hadn't quite gotten the tension right the first time —

Isn't it usually recommended to replace the tensioner along with the belt? Not much extra expense beyond the parts cost of the tensioner itself, while your in there...
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 6:34:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Not usually they don't replace the tensioner.
The other problem is they may not have tightened the tenisioner back down correctly. It could be walking off and rubbing. After it is cold, start it and let it run for a couple minutes. Not enough to heat the engine up, and touch the cover and see if it is hot. If it is go back and have them check it again. Or if it stops in a little while it could just be what Rifleshooter said.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 9:32:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info.. I will keep an eye on it..

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top