Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/27/2002 12:46:33 PM EDT
Let me guess, ain't gonna happen, eh? Basically speaking, I want the military to teach me to fly and give me hours. I don't want to be in an A-10 or anything wonderful like that. Just teach an almost old-timer to fly? Anyone in the know, can you clue me in?

Otherwise it just may have to be the AF reserve so I can get my paws on that 30k from the Montgomery GI bill.

Acckkk. Why did I wait?

P.s. Anyone here active in the AF reserve... how do you like it? What is the pay like 200 a month or so? Perks? etc... Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 1:07:51 PM EDT
[#1]
You might consider flying helicopters for the Army.  The age limit for Warrant Officer Candidate Flight School is 30.  Call your recruiter and ask about it.  Also, there are tons of choppers in the Army Guard, so you can fly part-time and keep your civilian job.

Just a thought...

-kill-9
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 1:31:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you thinking about building time and skill in the military and jumping to commercial afterwards?
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 1:32:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 1:38:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Even if you don't get a  pilots slot there are alot of Aviation clubs on Airbases that teach personel how to fly.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 1:56:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm 29 and I talked to a Marine recruiter a few months ago.  He said that since I have a college degree I can go to officer candidate school and then flight school.  According to him, the Marines would guarantee me flight time in either fixed wing or rotary, my choice.  It's an 8 year commitment for fixed wing, 6 year commitment for rotary.  You might want to talk to the Marine recruiter in your area.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 2:01:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Why would you want to "drive the bus" when you can do something cool like throw HUMVEEs and Army troops out the back while you're flying? Everyone I ever flew with agreed that loadmaster was the best enlisted gig going, and as for the ANG flyers pretty much fly as much or as little as they want, as long as you keep up your currencies.
Just my .02

Praise the Load,
Dirk
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 2:15:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Last I checked the cut-off for Commissioned Officers in the AF or Navy was 27.  For the Army it was a little older.  Unless you are an MD.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top