Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2002 12:21:42 PM EDT
Okay, so I'm listening to Colin McEnroe (CT's resident self-styled intellectual liberal) discuss school vouchers.  

So alot of private schools are religious institutions.  Therefore, government money (in the form of vouchers) would amount to our government supporting certain religions over other.

His debate opponent correctly pointed out that vouchers would be given to the parents, and THEY would decide where to spend it.

So the liberal host states that even though money would be LAUNDERED (his words) through the parents, it would still amount to government subsidizing of religion.

Excuse me, Mr. McEnroe, but what is YOUR solution?  To pump more and more money in school systems who have demonstrated their total LACK of ability to educate?

Th end result is that the sons and daughters of rich folks will attend private schools and everyone else will go to the same failing institutions.  The children of poor and middle class parents will still NOT recive the same quality educations that the children of rich people enjoy.  They will not be as well educated and they will still not be as well equipped to succeed.

The liberals in this country claim that they want to see a completely EQUAL society where everyone receives the same chances to succeed in life as everyone else.  However, their solutions will obviously never end in that result.  

Their goals are irrelevant becuase their plans to achieve them are, frankly, assinine.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 12:49:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Do any of these morons actually read the constitution?  

[b]Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof[/b]

[i]Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion[/i]

Would anybody be forced to go to a religious school? Nope.  You would go wherever the heck you want, doesn't sound like an "establishment of religion" to me.

[i]or prohibiting the free exercise thereof[/i]

Bingo!! Seems like they always forget this part of the sentence.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 1:01:07 PM EDT
[#2]
C'mon guys - this has nothing to do with religion or education.

This has everything to do with the weakening and possible demise of the teacher's unions.  If parents can now explore a "free market" in educational choice, the stranglehold that the unions have on our public educational system will cease.  Period.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 2:28:50 PM EDT
[#3]
SWS has it right.  It has to do more with politics, especially since most schools operated by churches simply aren't religious.

I went to a Roman Catholic private school, and the vast majority of the students there were protestant.  Since then, about half of my relative's kids have gone to private schools that are associated w/ churches.  Of those, not a one has been a church that any of them have gone to.  It has nothing to do with religion for the people I know.  It is about picking the best place for an education.z
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top