Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2002 5:52:26 AM EDT
This is a brain teaser I thought you might enjoy:

"Frank" is a skilled but lazy electrician. He has just wired three on-off switches to three separate lights, all of which are upstairs so he cannot see them. He wants to check which switch operates which light, but wants to do this by operating the switches once then making only one trip upstairs. How does he do this?

I check back later to give the answer.

Kent
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 6:05:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Can I just ask one question first?

Why the hell are the switches not in the same room as the lights?
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 6:08:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 6:12:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 6:15:11 AM EDT
[#4]
^^^^^

Hehe.

He tears through the walls following the wires and gradually working his way up.  Soon as he gets to the top he follows the individual wires.  Not the prettiest method but it works [BD].
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 6:17:48 AM EDT
[#5]
He turns two switches on.  After several minutes, he turns one of them off and leaves the other one on.  He immediately goes upstairs.  The light that is on belongs to the switch that is still on.  He feels the other two bulbs.  The bulb that is warm belongs to the switch that was just turned off.  The bulb that is cold belongs to the switch that was always off.

I'm not sure if that really saves him any work, but it sounds like something a lazy man might do.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 6:18:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I haven't heard this one before, but I think I've got it.  Each switch has one position, so set the first one to on and the second switch to off.  As for the third one, I'd turn it on for a minute or so and then when I went upstairs I'd check which one of the off bulbs is hot.

That may not be the answer, but it would work in one trip.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 6:20:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Damn, Boston Tea Party beat me to it by less than a minute!

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 6:21:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Frank takes note of the order he turns on the new switches. Then proceeds up stairs where he asks his helper the order that the lights turned on. All electricians have helpers.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 6:23:34 AM EDT
[#9]
^^^^^

I like his idea!

Actually I think Boston got it.  Although you would be a moron to put switches to lights on the floor the lights are not even located on.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 6:25:01 AM EDT
[#10]
I am certain the warm lightbulb procedure is what he's looking for.  However, I have an alternative...

He turns light switch one on and then walks outside to look through the upstairs window...
Repeats for switches two and three...

Lazy electician.  Needs to stop eating donuts and get on a stair-stepper!
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 6:27:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
^^^^^

I like his idea!

Actually I think Boston got it.  Although you would be a moron to put switches to lights on the floor the lights are not even located on.
View Quote

a few of the switches in my house are like that.  lots of inbreeding going on around here.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 6:29:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Hehe, I can picture it now:

Wake up to take a piss and go down stairs to turn the light on so you don't stub your toe on anything!
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 6:35:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
"Frank" is a skilled but [red]lazy[/red] electrician.
View Quote

Hmph. Must be union. [BD]
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 6:37:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Hehe.  I love this board.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 6:41:45 AM EDT
[#15]
He turns #1 & #2 on, and waits for a little bit.  Then he turns #2 off.

He goes upstairs, and checks the bulbs.

Switch #1 = ON  Bulb #1 = ON
Switch #2 = OFF Bulb #2 = OFF WARM
Switch #3 = OFF Bulb #3 = OFF COLD

Crap! BostonTeaParty got it first!

Link Posted: 6/27/2002 6:49:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Option # 2
Previously when Frank wired the light fixtures he could have easily screwed in a plug adapter and ran a drop light to a location where it could be seen from the switches.

In case you have not noticed I am highly skilled in the lazy department!
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 7:05:53 AM EDT
[#17]
option 3. he has the helper stick his finger in the light socket and flips the switches until he hears a scream. and procceeds to the next ones. ;)
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 7:17:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Frank" is a skilled but [red]lazy[/red] electrician.
View Quote

Hmph. Must be union. [BD]
View Quote

[:D]
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 7:52:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Boston Tea Party and God Bless Texas get the grand prize for being the first to get it.

Torf gets the sticky silver star for recognizing the correct answer with the logic spelled out.

I did like some of the other responses too, but they where not quite what I was looking for.  I believe the electrician's helper suggestion is what happens in real life.

That would be dissapator's helper not Nova 5's.

Thanks for playing.  I'll give you more as I get them.

Kent
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 8:23:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

1) I can turn on my basement light from upstairs, so that it is on when I walk down there.

2) My uncle's house has a panel in every room that can switch on/off any outlet in the house.  Useful if one wishes to turn on the sound system, or perhaps to backlight a burglar (instead of walking around with a "here I am, target me!" flashlight).
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 8:43:58 AM EDT
[#21]
I would send my "lazier than I am" helper upstairs to yell down to me.

I would save my lazy ass a trip upstairs....

But that's just me....  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top