Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/7/2012 6:56:03 PM EDT
I am a beer and vodka drinker, but my dad is a whiskey guy. He spends alot of time over at my house these days, which I love. I try to keep good whiskey on hand for him, but I would like to get him a bottle of something special just to say thanks. He likes Wild Turkey Rare Breed so I keep that.

On my last trip to the local liquor store I picked up a bottle of "1792 Ridgemont Reserve Barrel Select Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey" on the shopkeepers suggestion. He seems to enjoy it but I know there has to be something kick ass out there that would really suprise him.

I also have a bottle of "Woodford Reserve Distillers Select" that I will break out next. (Saw that somewhere here)

What say you? This won't be an everyday thing, so I am not afraid to spend up to..say..$200?

As thanks to the hive, on the 5th on-topic response to this I will go ahead and purchase a membership.

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:10:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I personally like bourbon.  I probably don't have the most refined tastes, but Maker's Mark used to be my favorite.  That was until i tried Bulleit Rye.  It's not a bourbon, but man is it tasty.  I'm drinking it right now, as a matter of fact.

Whiskey is a very personal thing.  My dad is a Jameson guy.  I bought him a bottle of Bulleit Rye for Christmas and he was just "Meh".  Find something you like and screw everyone else.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:10:43 PM EDT
[#2]
BLUE LABEL is the best...
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:11:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Whoa whoa whoa. Are you talkin about whiskey or bourbon? One is motel 6 the other is embassy suites.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:13:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

A quick google is showing that as scotch, that isn't close to the same is it?
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:14:08 PM EDT
[#5]
bourbon is superior to whiskey in my opinion
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:15:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Whoa whoa whoa. Are you talkin about whiskey or bourbon? One is motel 6 the other is embassy suites.

Well shit. I honestly do not know. I know he likes the Wild Turkey, but both of the other bottles I have here say "Bourbon Whiskey".

I ASSumed they were the same.

I guess I have to quantify it with "something that tastes as good as the wild turkey he likes"...but better? Does that make sense?

Sorry guys, I am WAY outside my lane on this...
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:16:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually it is blended Scotch Whisky...

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:17:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Blue Label is scotch whiskey...the man likes bourbon whiskey.

Woodford, Knob Creek, and W.L. Weller are 3 good ones.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:19:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I personally like bourbon.  I probably don't have the most refined tastes, but Maker's Mark used to be my favorite.  That was until i tried Bulleit Rye.  It's not a bourbon, but man is it tasty.  I'm drinking it right now, as a matter of fact.

Whiskey is a very personal thing.  My dad is a Jameson guy.  I bought him a bottle of Bulleit Rye for Christmas and he was just "Meh".  Find something you like and screw everyone else.

Thanks, that is what is making it tough for me. I don't really have enough "fancy" in me to tell the difference between good and bad. It isn't for me, I want to get it for my dad.

I'll drink with him and smoke one of his Cohibas with him, but honestly...the cigars taste like ass and the whisky all tastes the same (warms the belly though)
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:20:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Try Evan Williams single barrel

Also

Blantons
Basil Hayden's
Bernheims

All very good high end sippers.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:20:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually it is blended Scotch Whisky...  

Whiskey. Bourbon Whiskey. Scotch Whiskey. Sweet jeebus, I guess I stepped in it here lol.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:23:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Go to one of your better local liquor stores and talk to a knowledgeable clerks there. They will be able to show you the difference between the different whiskey's.

I'm a vodka drinker so I have no other input for you.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:25:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Pappy Van Winkle 15 year or 20 year old Bourbon. Stupid name, GREAT whiskey.

ETA: Jack Daniel's Single Barrel is really good and around $55. For something to just have on hand Gentleman Jack is also great and about $28
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:25:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Bourbon tastes like chewing on a pencil in my opinion. Scotch or Irish for me.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:32:41 PM EDT
[#15]
All bourbon is whiskey but not all whiskey is bourbon.

I'm a bourbon guy and I like Maker's Mark and Knob Creek.  Maker's is sweeter and kinda light.  Knob is robust and more flavorful.  I've heard good things about Blanton's, Bookers, Bulleit, etc...

Bottom line is there are plenty of people that love cheap whiskey that would turn their nose up at a $200 bottle.  Enjoy experimenting with your dad but my advice is to try new stuff and not worry so much about price.

OTOH, if you guys like 12 year old Balvenie (just an example) maybe try to find an 18 or 25 year from the same distiller.  Just a suggestion...
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:34:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks guys, that gives me a few to check out. Unfortunately there are no good local liquor stores around here, it's all "big box" places like ABC.

But I did pony up for my membership as promised.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:37:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
All bourbon is whiskey but not all whiskey is bourbon.

I'm a bourbon guy and I like Maker's Mark and Knob Creek.  Maker's is sweeter and kinda light.  Knob is robust and more flavorful.  I've heard good things about Blanton's, Bookers, Bulleit, etc...

Bottom line is there are plenty of people that love cheap whiskey that would turn their nose up at a $200 bottle.  Enjoy experimenting with your dad but my advice is to try new stuff and not worry so much about price.

OTOH, if you guys like 12 year old Balvenie (just an example) maybe try to find an 18 or 25 year from the same distiller.  Just a suggestion...

I think you are probably right, and since it's all the same to me and I am just trying to get something nice for my dad...I guess it will be a fun run of trial by error, could be worse

But I did get a few good brands to look into here, so for that I thank you all.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:43:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:44:37 PM EDT
[#19]
I like bourbon whiskey, jim beam, mostly cause im poor and think its good, makers mark, knob creek ect,  but celtic crossing is the smoothest whiskey I have ever drank
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:45:41 PM EDT
[#20]
I dunno my Booze, but:   Look for names of old Southern Gentlemen on the bottles...that usually gets you into the Section of the Bourbons.

AFARR
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:47:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:48:18 PM EDT
[#22]
A few that I like, a few of my favorites are missing 'cause they are empty and gone....

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:48:24 PM EDT
[#23]
1792 is very good. There may be a few that are a bit better.....
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:49:23 PM EDT
[#24]
deleted
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:50:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:50:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I like bourbon whiskey, jim beam, mostly cause im poor and think its good, makers mark, knob creek ect,  but celtic crossing is the smoothest whiskey I have ever drank

Nothing wrong with cheap booze as long as you're enjoying it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:51:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I personally thought Knob Creek was a little loud, like drinking ether, I don't care for it much personally.  Maker's 46 is supposed to be pretty good but I haven't tried it yet.

My first sip of Knob was ROUGH as I was used to Maker's.  Once the ice began to melt and I became accustomed to it I began to enjoy it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:54:19 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm not a big fan of knob creek either. That 1792 ridgemont reserve is sooo much smoother.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:54:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
deleted

Thank you.....
I also deleted my response....
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:54:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:55:01 PM EDT
[#31]
My wife & I enjoy Jim Beam Rye whiskey.    We will toast a couple shots in a bit.    Just got cleaned up & have some shovel & pan heads in the oven.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:58:25 PM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:58:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I personally thought Knob Creek was a little loud, like drinking ether, I don't care for it much personally.  Maker's 46 is supposed to be pretty good but I haven't tried it yet.

My first sip of Knob was ROUGH as I was used to Maker's.  Once the ice began to melt and I became accustomed to it I began to enjoy it.

I tried it neat, with water, with ice, it's rough to me no matter how it goes.  I mixed it with a splash of Coke and it was nice, but if I was gonna do that regularly I'd get the same basic results for less money with Beam or Wild Turkey.

I don't mix good booze.  If I'm mixing I'll use cheap stuff.

Tasting good whiskey and good beer is one of my simple pleasures.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:59:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Pappy Van Winkle's, Woodford Reserve, Maker's Mark or Knob Creek.  Can't really go wrong with those, though you might wind up preferring one over the others.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:48:33 PM EDT
[#35]

Came in to say this, 140 proof FTW

also Eagle Rare 17 year
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:50:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Jameson.

Fuck y'all.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:57:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Go herehttp://www.smallbatch.com/basilhaydens
Quoted:
Try Evan Williams single barrel

Also

Blantons
Basil Hayden'sGo here
Bernheims

All very good high end sippers.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:01:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Top shelf stuff right here buddy, top shelf:

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:04:33 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You guys are fucking killing me.

Bourbon IS whiskey.

Use fucking Wikipedia or some shit

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:15:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You guys are fucking killing me.

Bourbon IS whiskey.

Use fucking Wikipedia or some shit

Uh, bourbon is a subset of whiskey... I don't think that point is lost on any of the bourbon drinkers here. Relax.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:15:51 PM EDT
[#41]

It really all comes down to personal tastes.  There's such an enormous variety of flavors, it's almost impossible to recommend something.

I really like Maker's Mark on the bourbon end.  Bulleit isn't bad either, but I prefer the Maker's.

Scotch, hell there are a lot of them, and all of them so different it's mind boggling.  The Glenlivet was my first and I think a pretty good choice for someone starting with Scotch.  Glenfiddich and MacAllan are other pretty good choices.  I got a bottle of Laphroig for Christmas; completely different.  Peaty, where the others are almost perfumey.  Plus you get a free square foot of Scottish land on the distillery.  I like it, but it wouldn't be my go to drink.

Jameson is popular on the Irish side.  It's decent, imo.  I'd call it a sharper flavor than the others I've mentioned.  I didn't dislike it, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:19:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Me, I like Bulleit Rye Whiskey
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:20:00 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Uh, bourbon is a subset of whiskey

You don't say?

http://www.whiskybase.com/profile_lists.php?userviewid=5475&list=collection

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:22:43 PM EDT
[#44]
High West
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:28:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Wow, thanks guys! I have been running a bunch of these through google and see a few I would like to try to track down.

Is there a good place anyone uses to buy online? I know for a fact some that I see here are not on the shelf in the local stores here.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:31:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You don't say?

What am I looking at here?  Proof that you are a connoisseur?  That's awesome, but my only point was that average guys distinguish between bourbon whiskey and non-bourbon whiskey by calling them: bourbon and whiskey.

ETA: Nice collection though!
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:37:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You don't say?

We need to party more.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:37:54 PM EDT
[#48]
I once drank several glasses of scotch that cost 700 dollars a glass.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:39:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I once drank several glasses of scotch that cost 700 dollars a glass.

Who's tab?
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:42:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top